What's In Your Herb / Vege Garden?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of today:

Dwarf Beans
Broad Beans (what's left of them)
Silverbeet
Chives
Parsley
Beetroot
Carrots (lots)
Leeks
Sweet Corn
Lettuce
Pak Choy

Lime
Mandarin
Orange

Hey I forgot to add one very important thing in the last post.

You should make an overflow hole in the bottom tub just below bottom of the top tub. This prevents the top tub sitting in water which is not good. There must be aeration between the soil and water.

You can see the hole in this pic

Tubs2.jpg

Also if you can get the thicker black tubs that some councils use for recycling, they will last years longer than the thin plastic ones I have shown here.
I made one when i found a couple of them and I reckon it will last ten years or more. The wicking chamber in this one was made from a bait basket that I had lying around :p

NewTub.jpg

The word from the gurus around here is that you don't plant anything until Melbourne Cup day. Especially tomatoes.

So a week or so out from getting our vegie garden sorted.....this is what we've got...

1 x Simon & Garfunkel
3 x generic Asian grocer chilli plants (I hate you Tony!)
4 x Safeway coriander bunches I couldn't use so planted.......going great guns!!
1 x kaffir lime tree in pot
1 x tahitian lime tree in pot
10 x spring onions (bunches that is!)
1 x prolific lemon tree
1 x peach tree (variety unknown but tasty)
1 x apple tree (variety unknown but tasty)
1 x plum tree (variety unknown but tasty)
1 x prolific grape vine - white - (variety unknown & tastes shite!)
4K x dandelions.........mmmmmmm.......yep, I mean 4,000 of the bastards! Basic Brewing Radio had a show a while back that
might help with that!!

Cheers,
smudge

Pulled the last of the broad beans today. Gave half a bucket of pods to a neighbour, podded some for my mum and blanched and froze the rest. Ended up with 1.6kg of podded beans to freeze.
Now I have the bed for some tomatoes, Giant oxhearts and Evas Purple Balls.
White onions have started to bulb, potatoes are finishing off, and garlic is nearly ready to harvest.
Picking silver beet, beetroots, asparagus and in a couple of weeks the tomato harvest will start in my greenhouse/shadehouse :)

Just picked my first ripe tommy. Its a Grubs Mystery Green so its green when ripe. I gave it a sqeeze and it gave a little so a couple of days on the bench and BLT here we come. :icon_cheers:

Good work Mantis :icon_cheers:

I bought myself a 'worm cafe' on the weekend. 90 odd bucks from Bunnings, but if you are limited for space like me, it's great! It's about the size of an esky and the 1kg of worms in there can eat up to 250g of food scraps a day, and in return they shit out an awesomely rich compost for your plants... Easy, clean and compact.

*bump*

My garden is looking very sad and lifeless at the moment.

What would you guys recommend planting at this time of year (ie: late autumn / early winter) ? perhaps carrots, broccoli, turnips, leek?

*bump*

My garden is looking very sad and lifeless at the moment.

What would you guys recommend planting at this time of year (ie: late autumn / early winter) ? perhaps carrots, broccoli, turnips, leek?

My turnips are ready to go in this weekend. Been growing the seedlings in trqays for the last few weeks.

I like a nice turnip I do.

I also have peas and some salad greens going.

Cheers
Dave

Currently

Carrots

Cauliflower

Broccoli

Brussels sprouts

Broad beans

Baby Beets

my Corn this year Failed i should have got it in earlier

anyone know a good companion plant for the Above to keep the cabbage moths away?

Woo! Spring is here at last...

I now have:

Corriander - growing very, very slowly
Passionfruit
Leek
Shallots
Silverbeet
Sweet Basil - just sprouting
Oregeno - waking up
Thyme - waking up
Italian Parsley
Curly parsley
Cherry Tomatoes
Tomatoberry's
Rocket
Chives
Garlic Chives
Dill - sprouting
Birdseye Chilli's
Habanero's
Jalapeno's
Serrano's
Mint
Capsicum
Broccoli
Celery
Sage
Beetroot
Rhubarb

At last glance...

Beetroot
Snow Peas
Carrots
Parsnips
Cabbage
Bok Choy

(Hops sprouting too!)

Re-building the vege garden at the moment. Added another 1/3rd to its size.

Got my taters in last week (half of them anyway... trying for 2 crops this year). Beans have sprouted and will be going in probably next week. Salad greens to follow shortly. Toms and capsicum seeds have sprouted and will go in the ground in a week or 3.

Cheers
Dave

IMG_4726.jpg

Just working our way through the winter veggies. In the front yard we have:
  • broad beans
  • cabbages
  • carrots
  • silverbeet
  • kale
  • artichokes
  • lettuce
  • brocolli
  • cauliflower
  • apple trees
  • banana trees
  • rhubarb
  • beetroot

Preparing the beds for spring planting - we've already got beans, capsicum, cucumber and zucchini in the ground...

Hi all,

I have started getting a good crop of kale, spinach, silverbeet and broccoli. The snow pea plants are out of control (and the broad beans aren't far behind them).

The largest of my broccoli plants stubbornly refuses to produce any florets though...its all leaf! Don't know what I can do about that other than be patient? I have given it a stern talking to now that Ballarat is starting to thaw a bit so it has no excuse.

Has anyone in Victoria had much success with corn? I have a long narrow bed by a fence line that will get all the summer sun and that is what I am thinking of...

...and to think I thought Kaiser Soze was a boogey man story of Hungarian criminals...turns out he has a hell of a vegie patch haha

Hi all,

I have started getting a good crop of kale, spinach, silverbeet and broccoli. The snow pea plants are out of control (and the broad beans aren't far behind them).

The largest of my broccoli plants stubbornly refuses to produce any florets though...its all leaf! Don't know what I can do about that other than be patient? I have given it a stern talking to now that Ballarat is starting to thaw a bit so it has no excuse.

Has anyone in Victoria had much success with corn? I have a long narrow bed by a fence line that will get all the summer sun and that is what I am thinking of...

...and to think I thought Kaiser Soze was a boogey man story of Hungarian criminals...turns out he has a hell of a vegie patch haha
A long narrow bed will not do for corn, it is wind pollinated so you need it in a square, apart from that it does well in our climate.

As for the broccoli it sounds like it is getting to much nitrogen, chuck it a dash of potash and it might flower soon

Sorry to Hijack the thread...

Spent half today weeding and cleared out a good stretch of unutilised dirt. Since I'm renting I can't pull up any lawn/established plants so this is the only area I can really start a vege patch in. Only trouble is that it's along the south side of house, gets very little sunlight in the morning due to a high hedge on the east and the sun it gets in the arvo is all filtered through the foliage of a large tree. Got a few things in pots on the other side of the house going but was wondering if any of the green thumbed brewers here could suggest some things I could grow in this shadier location?

As our yard is largely taken up with the pool we have only a small herb garden and a few pots.
kaffir lime
Chilli
Rosemary that's barely there
Parsley
Chives
A basil tree, yes I say tree, that's about as tall as my wife, who isn't exactly short. I keep delivering smelly green baggies to friends and still it keeps going...
Thai basil. About half the size of the basil but still good for plenty of baggies...
Volunteer tomatoes. I'm the only one in the house who eats them raw and I have been unable to keep up with the cherry tomato plant production. A bird kindly ate the one growing in a pot and deposited the remains in the garden for us. We now have a standard tomato as well, whatever variety the 'normal' ones you buy are, that must have come from the worm farm remnants perhaps...

Tomatoes, Peas, Beans, herbs, chilli, love it!

Tomatoes.jpg

Tomatoe_plants.jpg

Pea_Pod_plants.jpg

gard1.jpg
grape, strawberries cant be seen as this was just before planting. neither can the fruit trees. where they are now planted are labelled.

gard2.jpg
more planted. 4 x heiorloom tomatoe varieties

gard3.jpg
corriander, flat leaf parsley, sage, oregeno, basil, rosemary. chilli and mint are in pots somewhere also.

and still 2 garden beds to be filled and plant in. about another another 6m3 worth of room there/

2 avocardo trees out front, as well an heirloom mandarin and heroloom blueberry varieties

big lemon tree out back also.

we started this year for the first time as the Mrs and I though it would be good for our little one to help grow our own vegies

we set up the vegie patch and she helped set it up and plant them she also helps water them she really can not wait for the strawberry's to get ready

we have lettuce, Tomato's Capsicum, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chilly, Basil, onion, chives, Mint, Rosemary, Spinach, Corn, Peas, Spring onion, Garlic, and the Strawberries

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back