Whats In A Name? Everything

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with alot of the above, And I have no interest in a nothing special lager, But most of my mates are.

Check out how the company Broo goes before you follow you current path.
they do a light, a MID and a heavy, the heavy was bland sh*t.

Some one above said a Kolsch and I thinks thats the Spot. 4 Pines just got one in Dan's not long ago.
Its different, sounds fancy and it's too far away in colour etc from a lager, Colour seems to be everything with my swilling mates.
The darkest they would go is JS Golden Ale as the Amber is a bit Strong in the general consensus of my mates.
They haven't even tasted the Fking beer but i pour it and they say eeww and look uncomfortable.

Or being your from adelaide and you need to start somewhere why not do your interoperation of a Aussie Sparkling ale,
Cant just be a Coopers clone or you'd be doing the same as you lager idea, But it's a Style that only has 2 other beers on the market that i know of, Coopers and Bridge Road, and the bridge road interpretation is quite different to coopers.

good luck

Edit: Name sugestion: KnackerBag Hills Aussie Sparkler!

My advice would be;
Good beer sells itself. If its a revelation against the market standard then all you need to do is get people to taste it, and they'll be your best marketers. If it's exactly the same as the market standard, you dont stand a chance agains the big breweries - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with economies of scale and established labels.

Sorry to put a damper on your idealism, but good beer doesnt sell itself to a mainstream audience, and reliance on a societal majority would result in a premature death. The biggest issue with the beer industry is perception in the hearts & minds of the mainstream. I could go to any pub (apart from one) right now in a 20km radius from where I sit, and not find a single craft beer in the fridge behind the bar. (same can be said for Squire - with a craft beer persona but huge corporate influence)I could take a range of tasty craft beers, not too hoppy, malty or dark, and give them away to local boozehounds and they will tell me the beer is shit. Or to be polite, they might say "um, its OK I guess" but if given a choice of a free beer on the next round would revert back to their old favourite.

In Australia, 2011, anyone considering independently entering into the market to sell a new beer needs to bear in mind that you're servicing 5% (unverified) of the entire population who even bother to make a valued choice on which beer they drink. And within that niche market there's a lot of players, and it's increasing every year. So while a top-flavoured beer with a unique voice is essential, good marketing takes precedence, to convince a fickle, generally better-educated market that your beer is the one for them.

The guy who opened the thread has ticked neither of the boxes.

Sorry to put a damper on your idealism, but good beer doesnt sell itself to a mainstream audience, and reliance on a societal majority would result in a premature death. The biggest issue with the beer industry is perception in the hearts & minds of the mainstream. I could go to any pub (apart from one) right now in a 20km radius from where I sit, and not find a single craft beer in the fridge behind the bar. (same can be said for Squire - with a craft beer persona but huge corporate influence)I could take a range of tasty craft beers, not too hoppy, malty or dark, and give them away to local boozehounds and they will tell me the beer is shit. Or to be polite, they might say "um, its OK I guess" but if given a choice of a free beer on the next round would revert back to their old favourite.

In Australia, 2011, anyone considering independently entering into the market to sell a new beer needs to bear in mind that you're servicing 5% (unverified) of the entire population who even bother to make a valued choice on which beer they drink. And within that niche market there's a lot of players, and it's increasing every year. So while a top-flavoured beer with a unique voice is essential, good marketing takes precedence, to convince a fickle, generally better-educated market that your beer is the one for them.

The guy who opened the thread has ticked neither of the boxes.

I'll agree with that. The point I'm making is that setting out to make anything but fantastic beer is pointless - if it's good, and he can get it listed in a heap of places, and he can get people to try it, then (and only then) will people take any notice of the brand.
That's not necessarily a measure of success; but it's a far sight from setting out to make a mediocre version of what is already made in vast quantities in Australia.

C

I'll agree with that. The point I'm making is that setting out to make anything but fantastic beer is pointless - if it's good, and he can get it listed in a heap of places, and he can get people to try it, then (and only then) will people take any notice of the brand.
That's not necessarily a measure of success; but it's a far sight from setting out to make a mediocre version of what is already made in vast quantities in Australia.

C
HURRAH HURRAH HURRAH!!!! preach it C preach it!!!

Also wondered what the going rate for incentives/royalites on a forum, for providing a successful corporate image and branding for someone else's start up business.

Couldn't agree more.
Dude, you asked for our input.
Geez, I'm in the process of drinking the last of my "nothing special" Knks to punish myself for making it, and to stop myself from serving it at an upcoming party.
I can and have brewed a whole lot better, and I want to be known for great beers, not average beers.

Namewise, I think the ball's solely in your court, rather than a bunch of beernerd trolls, myself included.

Namewise, I think the ball's solely in your court, rather than a bunch of beernerd trolls, myself included.

Court closed until further notice, due to unpredictable weather patterns.

Latest posts

Back