Whats In A Name? Everything

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
give the bloke a break. a nice easy drinkin flagship beer could also be seen as a gate way beer.did any one on here go straight from cd, ted or new straight to cantillon or hop hog? i didnt see anywere that he said it was going to be his only beer offering. he could go down the route of another pale ale, meh every one has one same said for ipa. or go for a black ipa, it seems like every brewery has one of those lately to. start with offering the gate way beer wich is what will sell and once he has a good market base he can introduce some other beers that apeals to the beer nerds as a seasonal or specialty. or he could start with 1000 ibu ipas and sour beers that only apeal to a niche within a niche and go broke before the first year is out. imo as long as the beer is well made and clean he stands a fair chance a chance in a craft beer market that while there is some nice beer being made there is also some god awfull infected shite being marketed as craft beer as well. not every one out there is a home brewing craft beer nerd as much as some on this forum would like to believe.

I'm just starting my own business in IT. I started at the technical end and did marketing last which is the wrong way around.

So, the one lesson I can give is don't create a beer and try to market it. Look for a gap in the market and create the beer/image to fill it.

I like someone's Alt idea from before. Maybe add a Koelsch too! Logo: Gebraut in Sud Australien!

Gday Mate, if your looking towards the young hip punters, why not call it something they can relate to, like WATER.

Petesbrew has a gift for image/logo design too. Check out his suggestions for the black duck brewery when they were looking for an icon - cutting edge sophistication and marketability plus ;)
Although from memory they were offering a keg or something for doing the business work for them - Pete did they pay up?? :D

Petesbrew has a gift for image/logo design too. Check out his suggestions for the black duck brewery when they were looking for an icon - cutting edge sophistication and marketability plus ;)
Although from memory they were offering a keg or something for doing the business work for them - Pete did they pay up?? :D
Oh yeah he offered to pay up but I meant to actually visit on the way up the coast... didn't get the chance though. No bother.
I'm always willing to share my gift. MS Paint is where it's at!

Mushroom beer.

Psilocilager ... when you close your eyes you will see the hulking fuselage of an intergalactic cargo ship cruise by. You'll be able to make out each rivet, and each battle scar from intergalactic pirates.

Only way to hook the kiddies in. They're damn near numb.

I've tried a few of well marketed "award winning label" manufactured under contract beers. May I point out I said tried not bought and I've found a common theme with these beers. They are all thin watery tasteless attempts at megaswill cloning. FFS when will this mindless belief in producing poor excuses for a cats piss and trying to pass it off as beer ever end!!!!

If you believe so much in the product you want to produce then put you own name to it and don't hide behind a gimmicky brand name. Because if it is any good then people will want to drink it time and time again. So I'd concentrate on get my product right before trying to market it, I'm assuming you haven't as you said you are "thinking of nothing special"

Now if I could only find my soapbox............

Food for thought! this is just what i was after - thank you all.

im thinking about steering clear of any ties to the 'hills' location in the brand, in the hope that one day the brand will outgrow the area (grand plans!!).

I am aiming to develop an all round 'corporate image' - something stylish and 'fun', but also a standout simple. For example - i love the 'vale ale' branding!

there is nothing overly special about the beer - a crisp dry summer lager would be my 'flagship' - simply because it appeals to the masses.

Little pony - like you said, a name needs to say so much - that is why it has to be perfect! im not going one step further till i come up with something i'd be willing to walking a pub and try to sell!

ur doing it wrong

If we're recommending beers to make then an amber ale would go down well I think. Try the Hobgoblin ruby red ale. Great flavour and a unique look, plus look how well JS is doing with the 9 tails lately (on tap, in even the most bogan of liquor stores). Seems to be a niche in the market for good red ales.

Check out the hobgoblin webpage too. My favourite marketing of any craft brewer. They've created a niche for themselves. You could do worse than try and emulate them. The ruby red with English hops is their flagship. You could perhaps do a NZ hopped version?

I know I'll be supporting you if you nail the red ale.

im after a little help for you wonderful lot -

im looking to try and market my brew, but need a good 'brand' before i can get the ball rolling!

Any suggestions?

im based in the adelaide hills, and will be looking at selling to 'young, hip, contemporary' venues!

i have been racking my brain for days and have got nothing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2nd post as a forum member and he's going commercial?

Great flavour and a unique look, plus look how well JS is doing with the 9 tails lately (on tap, in even the most bogan of liquor stores).
I think that has more to do with James Squire coming from the same truck as West End draught and an aggressive marketing on the part of Lion Nathan.

give the bloke a break. a nice easy drinkin flagship beer could also be seen as a gate way beer.did any one on here go straight from cd, ted or new straight to cantillon or hop hog? i didnt see anywere that he said it was going to be his only beer offering. he could go down the route of another pale ale, meh every one has one same said for ipa. or go for a black ipa, it seems like every brewery has one of those lately to. start with offering the gate way beer wich is what will sell and once he has a good market base he can introduce some other beers that apeals to the beer nerds as a seasonal or specialty. or he could start with 1000 ibu ipas and sour beers that only apeal to a niche within a niche and go broke before the first year is out. imo as long as the beer is well made and clean he stands a fair chance a chance in a craft beer market that while there is some nice beer being made there is also some god awfull infected shite being marketed as craft beer as well. not every one out there is a home brewing craft beer nerd as much as some on this forum would like to believe.

Couldn't agree more.

Could make a pale lager that you are proud of instead of one you describe as 'nothing special' though. There are some amazing pale lagers out there.

Doesn't have to be beer nerd city ale- just don't flood the market with more crap. There's enough already.

A tip for marketting strategy too - describing your beer as 'nothing special' doesn't really help distinguish it from anything else, no matter what swanky name you give it.

Without starting a complete shit fight, am I the only one who thinks that the OP is just taking the piss??

bah

Ok so you're going to enter another bland beer into a market bloated with beers that are, like yours, nothing special.

And you have no grand plan to get the public to buy it, but instead ask forum strangers for help.

So, no marketing and no taste to speak of?

Good luck with that business venture. :blink:

I'm not a commercial brewer (yet - excise forms in the mail) - but I am a commercial winemaker and the wine industry has been dominated by over supply for years - so I figure i've got an idea.

My advice would be;
Good beer sells itself. If its a revelation against the market standard then all you need to do is get people to taste it, and they'll be your best marketers. If it's exactly the same as the market standard, you dont stand a chance agains the big breweries - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with economies of scale and established labels.

Dont heat a litre of water until you have an established market. And by that I mean, go to supermarkets, retailers, pubs, restaurants, and ask them what beer they would like to list and cannot from any australian catalogue. Then make that beer, to the price point they have specified. Surprise them by going back 6 months later with a sample thats tastier than they expected and they'll probably give you a run.

If you can't make it (style or price) then don't bother.

I will put money that nobody will ever tell you they want a mediocre pale aussie lager.

Somebody said before 'go easy' on you - which I think is cruel; the retail market won't go easy on you, they just won't buy your beer.

Chris

Latest posts

Back