Whats Best Insulation For A Keg Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to insulate a stainless keg and was thinking of a cylindrical plywood frame filled with something like

fibre glass insulation roof batt
polystyrene balls from a bean bag
Polyurethane space filler
old anorak
Sleeping foam roll
Mongolian Yak hair

Has anyone had any success with insulating one and made a neat job of it

I have seen the pics of Sqyre but that is not a SS keg

Pumpy :)

I just found this Thread...

Yeh pumpy mine is a stainless keg with the top and bottom rings cut off.

i just cut the rolled edge off the top so i can slide a piece of high density foam cut to the same size inside when i want to do single batches.

I wrapped some medium density 40mm thick foam from clark rubber around it and glued the edges together.

also cut some to the shape of the bottom of the keg and glued it on.

then slipped the whole thing inside a blue 80 litre drum and cut that down to size.

Then i cut a ring out of MDF to fill the gap between the keg and the blue drum and screwed it together.

I made it so i can pull it to bits if anything leaks.

I will see if i can find some disassembled pics.

Sqyre... ;)

i'd rather add a burner and a stirrer! look at Zwickel's setup
nice for stepped mashing
i love an acid rest in the morning

i'd rather add a burner and a stirrer! look at Zwickel's setup
nice for stepped mashing
i love an acid rest in the morning

Yeh, i thought about that but dont know too much about stepped mashing...

would a large 2400watt immersion heating element do the trick??

Sqyre.. :huh:

i wouldn't add an immersion element to a mash, no
you can step mash a number of ways though.
you could use a mixture of infusion, decoction or direct.
you may never do it but if you've got a vessel capable of direct heat for your mash tun, i'd personally keep it that way.

i'd never make a wheat beer without a stepped mash nowadays. looking at pilsners too.

When i was putting mine together i toyed with the idea of leaving the bottom un-insulated and wrapping the sides with rockwool (i think thats the name) and weld on an outer stainless skin. with an insulted lid.

then have an insulated base for it to sit on, that could be popped off when you want to put a burner under it.

but all of the above would cost a pretty penny..

and i wont be trying step mashing for a while...but then again i do like a good pilsner.. :blink:

wheres that plasma cutter???

Sqyre.. ;)

Sounds neat Black is that one layer thick Domonsura?

Pumpy

Yeah Pumpy, one layer, you can get it in a few thicknesses, you can also get it in tubes to go around hosing, works really well. I'm planning on doing all the hoses on my brewery before the winter so I don't lose temp during recirc. The hosing insulation tubes were about $10/metre last time I got some.
I'm planning on making both the sheeting and hosing available on my website in the near future, but having to re-assess/ delay plans at present after the last round of stainless price rises......things are getting a bit beyond a joke in that area lately. :unsure:

I just found this Thread...

Yeh pumpy mine is a stainless keg with the top and bottom rings cut off.

i just cut the rolled edge off the top so i can slide a piece of high density foam cut to the same size inside when i want to do single batches.

I wrapped some medium density 40mm thick foam from clark rubber around it and glued the edges together.

also cut some to the shape of the bottom of the keg and glued it on.

then slipped the whole thing inside a blue 80 litre drum and cut that down to size.

Then i cut a ring out of MDF to fill the gap between the keg and the blue drum and screwed it together.

I made it so i can pull it to bits if anything leaks.

I will see if i can find some disassembled pics.

Sqyre... ;)

Oh I see Sqyre I had not read the post properly thats a clever idea, be great to see some dissassembled pics

I'll second domonsura's recommendation of Aeroflox sheet, it's the sexiest thing in insulation since fat batts.

Yeah Pumpy, one layer, you can get it in a few thicknesses, you can also get it in tubes to go around hosing, works really well. I'm planning on doing all the hoses on my brewery before the winter so I don't lose temp during recirc. The hosing insulation tubes were about $10/metre last time I got some.
I'm planning on making both the sheeting and hosing available on my website in the near future, but having to re-assess/ delay plans at present after the last round of stainless price rises......things are getting a bit beyond a joke in that area lately. :unsure:

Domonsura,

I am definately going to insulate my recirculation hose for winter although the silicone hose holds the heat in very well .

I know what you mean regarding the SS prices I recently scored a Female SS Tee 1/2" BSP, I checked the price at Pirtek $108 each and on my rig there are six of them ,I would hate to price up all the SS fittings it would probably be over $1500.

Sorry Pump,

Just had a look cant find any picks... either i didn't take any :blink: or ive deleted them by mistake.

i also bought a blue camping map which is made out of the high density stuff. i used that to level out the outside of the keg between the ridges. (hope that makes sence) then wraped it in the 40mm thick medium density. i think i paid about $60 for a sheet big enough to cover the whole thing.

probably not the most economical...but i was in a rush.

Here is what picks i do have.

mashtunsmall2.jpg brewrigtipsidesmall2.jpg

Hope it helps..

Sqyre... ;)

Domonsura,

I am definately going to insulate my recirculation hose for winter although the silicone hose holds the heat in very well .

I know what you mean regarding the SS prices I recently scored a Female SS Tee 1/2" BSP, I checked the price at Pirtek $108 each and on my rig there are six of them ,I would hate to price up all the SS fittings it would probably be over $1500.

Hence why I'm broke at the moment.... :D And also unfortunately why my brewery came in well over my budget....
Still cheaper than getting one of those ones from the states by about half, but still.....it's the fittings that do the damage.
You should have let me know pumpy, I think I can get those t pieces for quite a bit cheaper than that...Pirtek is horrendous for their pricing on stainless fittings....

Thanks Sqyre , I may have a big blue container like that at work , what you going to use for a lid ?

Thanks Domonsura I will check with you next time .

pumpy :)

Aeroflex sheet, available from any good trade rubbergoods store. It's closed cell, so it doesn't absorb moisture, Negligible thermal loss and it's black so it looks nice and tidy.
Made specifically for insulating things, comes in 6mm, 10mm and 13mm thicknesses. I use the 13mm.
The only down side is price, the 13mm is $60 odd for enough to insulate top, sides and bottom of a keg sized vessel.
But it works a treat.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but looking at getting some aeroflex for my new mash tun. Domonsura (or others) how do you attach this stuff to the stainless?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but looking at getting some aeroflex for my new mash tun. Domonsura (or others) how do you attach this stuff to the stainless?

For best results you buy the glue with it... Then as other have said just put some 100 mile an hour tape over the top

Latest posts

Back