What Yeast For A Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

Reaction score
Its a long weekend - and no kid's sport either - so plenty of time for a brew.

So I'm planning a nice winter porter. Looking at Fullers Porter in Wheelers book:

4.2kg pale malt
665g brown malt
555g crystal malt
110g choc malt
Sounds delicious. But what yeast should I use? I've got some 1968 at home from an ESB I did recently, and since this is fullers recipe it might make sense to use this ... but then Fullers aren't the only ones to make a porter. Jamil has a porter recipe in his book (based on Taddy Porter) and its almost identical, and I bet Sam Smith isn't using Fuller's yeast. Any suggestions?

So I'm planning a nice winter porter. Looking at Fullers Porter in Wheelers book:

4.2kg pale malt
665g brown malt
555g crystal malt
110g choc malt
Sounds delicious. But what yeast should I use? I've got some 1968 at home from an ESB I did recently, and since this is fullers recipe it might make sense to use this ... but then Fullers aren't the only ones to make a porter. Jamil has a porter recipe in his book (based on Taddy Porter) and its almost identical, and I bet Sam Smith isn't using Fuller's yeast. Any suggestions?

Fillers yeast can be found is a lot of beers of this style. It is very commmonly used in the us by the micros when doing English stew ales and stouts. Go for it !

Never used 1968 but I have found most UK yeasts tend to suit a variety of styles. I've used 1099 and 1084 in my robust porter before - preference for 1099 but both were great. Recently made a smoked porter with 1318 which came out a treat and I've used ringwood in a stout successfully (1187?).

Making a robust this weekend, time permitting and will be going for thames valley II PC (can't remember the number).

I really like 1968 and 1318...I think I'd prefer the 1318. In saying that either would work really well in the porter.

Most yeasts are OK in a porter. Heck you could even ferment with a lager yeast at a pinch and call it a baltic porter.

Making a porter myself on Monday. I'll be using Whitbread (Wyeast 1099). After all Whitbread were synonmous with the style.

Warren -

4.2kg pale malt
665g brown malt
555g crystal malt
110g choc malt

Don't know if you have access to it, but 1469 West Yorkshire makes an amazing porter.

Don't know if you have access to it, but 1469 West Yorkshire makes an amazing porter.
Yep got 1469 at home, but I've only used it for TTL clone. Also got 1084, 1187, 1968, 1056 and 3944. For hops, got some fuggles, EKG and styrian in the feezer.

I like British beers as you might guess.

london ale 1028 would be my pick for possibly the best for this style.

Thanks All. I'm heading over to G&G so will see if they have fresh 1028 as per several recommendations - if not, its back to 1968.

Latest posts

Back