What Would You Call A Beer That's Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Generally if there's a particular style you're looking for, there's plenty of info on the style and potential recipes.

But one thing I've found hard is working backwards. I was just thinking if this thread takes off, it may be a great resource for people.

For example, what would I call a beer that's quite dark, getting towards stout colour and maltiness, but significantly missing the burnt/roasted taste? Highly hopped, but still relatively modest in comparison to the strong maltiness, like say 35 to 40 IBU's??

This is just something I've been thinking about and if we get a bit of a roll on, it might be really useful. I've found it really hard to translate what I taste to talking about it on here, sometimes, perhaps others have too.

Haha, I reckon this'll go straight to the bottom of the list, but if it works, it might be quite helpful.

Thanks Adam. I had that feeling, but I thought porters were a bit "burnt". Now I know!

What about the difference between a Dark Ale and a porter?

Sounds like a Robust Porter to me too.

Ok, heres one from me: Dark, similar in colour to a porter with a grist of 100% wheat malts, boosted to around 5% ABV with dark candi syrup. Hopped in the mash with styrian goldings, and boiled only for 5 mins. Yeast slurry pitched from a cake of berliner weisse blend (German Ale Yeast, Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces).

I've been struggling to come up with a name for this one! Currently planned to be brewed early April so long as my brewing schedule keeps to plan.

Sounds kind of like an ale-bock and it feels... belgian? a "belgian wheat alebock"?

I'd like to include the word "art" in there somewhere too...

I've been struggling to put this beer in a category

Only thing I could come up with was "Blonde Ale" in the light hybrid beer class - but I'm not sure about it

SRM: 5.2
IBU: 29.9
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.012

84.5% JW Export Pilsner
10.3% Cane Sugar
2.1% Wheat Malt
3.1% JW Crystal
15.00 g. Green Bullet Pellet 11.00 19.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 8.2 25 min.
15.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 3.70 2.4 10 min.
10.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 3.70 0.0 0 min.
Windsor (Dry) @ 17*C

It's very easy drinking

Cheers

Looks like a blonde ale to me, Cortez. That category is a bit of a catch-all in some ways. As it says in the BJCP blurb

In addition to the more common American Blond Ale, this category can also include modern English Summer Ales, American Klsch-style beers, and less assertive American and English pale ales.

It's a tad high on the bitterness, but I'm sure nobody would notice, and the flavour and aroma hopping is nothing like an APA, so right for a blonde ale IMO. Looks like a great session beer for a hot day. :chug:

Aye, that be a Blonde ale Cortez.

And that dark wheaty thing of Kook's - I was going to suggest Dunkelweizen until he mentioned the yeast blend. Kinda freaky but definitely interesting! 100% wheat malt is also unusual - beware the porridge monster (stuck sparge)

Sounds like a Robust Porter to me too.

Ok, heres one from me: Dark, similar in colour to a porter with a grist of 100% wheat malts, boosted to around 5% ABV with dark candi syrup. Hopped in the mash with styrian goldings, and boiled only for 5 mins. Yeast slurry pitched from a cake of berliner weisse blend (German Ale Yeast, Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces).

I've been struggling to come up with a name for this one! Currently planned to be brewed early April so long as my brewing schedule keeps to plan.
I was thinking that a robust porter should have significant choc/roast aroma and flavour: hence the name "robust".
I'd prob classify it as an Aussie dark ale. More dark colour than dark malt flavours, you see.

As for your beer, Kook, I think that the wheat may have little infuence on the flavour (with that yeast combo). Are there any roasted grains in there, and roast flavours? If so, it may an historical porter, what with the Brett influence.
Otherwise, it's definitely a "Specialty beer", and may be called an Dubbel (not quite Imperial) Dunkel Berliner weisse. Please post the recipe, a I' unlikely to get thee for a tasting. :p

Cheers
Les :D

I was thinking that a robust porter should have significant choc/roast aroma and flavour: hence the name "robust".
I'd prob classify it as an Aussie dark ale. More dark colour than dark malt flavours, you see.

As for your beer, Kook, I think that the wheat may have little infuence on the flavour (with that yeast combo). Are there any roasted grains in there, and roast flavours? If so, it may an historical porter, what with the Brett influence.
Otherwise, it's definitely a "Specialty beer", and may be called an Dubbel (not quite Imperial) Dunkel Berliner weisse. Please post the recipe, a I' unlikely to get thee for a tasting. :p

Cheers
Les :D

True, though Robust Porter can also be used to classify less-roasty, hoppy porters.

I plan on using mostly Australian wheat malt, but a portion of Weyermann CaraWheat & Chocolate Wheat too. Only enough choc wheat for colour though, I want to keep any roasty flavours at bay. I'll post something with more detail when I brew it. Need to brew a normal berliner weisse first though to get the yeast slurry ready.

I got the impression that Freestyla was saying that a web site or data base where you could specify a series of characteristics of the finished beer and the site/program would be able to tell you which style ballparks you were in?

Would be handy, but would need some very specific descriptors for people to use across the board when describing desired characteristics of the finished beer.

Almost like a reverse recipe/style generator?

Kev

yeah, Kevo. But as you mention, it's almost impossible to get everyone referring to certain tastes the same way, let alone the fact that the same beer tastes different to different people.

As it is, it seems to be an interesting game and it's already helping me to understand what different style terms mean etc.

Back