What To Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I have today off (good ole govt flexi-time), and because we had a busy weekend the house is in a state. I decided not to play my usual flexi-golf but instead to clean the house and brew two beers. Beer #1 is in the mashtun now. Pale Ale Malt, a bit of brown malt, a bit of crystal and a couple handfuls of Carafa Special III. I'll bitter this to about 25 with Pride Plus and maybe a few grams of something like cluster at 10 mins. Will be a variation on the Australian Dark Ale theme.

I have an APA in the fermenter and a Halloween Special porter (brewed with two bags of Allens Fantails in the boil) ready to pitch.

Anyway, I'm stuck for ideas for the second batch.

I have only one base malt IMC Pale Ale. Lots of specialties: Munich (heaps) Brown, Light and dark Xtal, RB, Patent Malt, Carafa III, CaraPils. Some hops: Hallertau, Amarillo, Warrior, Pride Plus, Cluster, Nugget, Tettnanger, etc etc.

So in a lame call to my brewing bretheren, give me some inspiration for Flexi-Beer II.

Cheers,
PoMo.

How about 1 ale, 1 lager?..

95% Munich
4% Melanoidin (or decoct I guess)
1% Carafa

Hallertau to 20IBU

Doppelbock!

What yeasts have you got to hand, PoMO?

Windsor, US-05, T-58, WLP (umm##??) German Lager, but I no-chill, so can wait for yeast.

How about 1 ale, 1 lager?..
95% Munich
4% Melanoidin (or decoct I guess)
1% Carafa

Hallertau to 20IBU

Doppelbock!

Just finished a keg of that. :) Looking for something else, but thanks for the suggestion.

C'mon fellas, I'm just about to lauter and need to crack another batch of grain ASAP! Dammit. Where is my beer-muse?

Ok, two possibilites. An altbier with 2/3 munich, 1/3 ale, melanoidin if you have it and some carafa for colour. Or an American IPA, with some crystal and munich to the ale base malt. Heaps of Warrior and Amarillo. :icon_drool2:

How about some thing with T-58.

OG 1.050
90% pale
5% light crystal
5% sugar

60min hall at 20IBUs
10min 1g/l of hall or tett

T-58 fermented at about 22C

Maybe a couple of grams of your favorite spice?

Ok, two possibilites. An altbier with 2/3 munich, 1/3 ale, melanoidin if you have it and some carafa for colour. Or an American IPA, with some crystal and munich to the ale base malt. Heaps of Warrior and Amarillo. :icon_drool2:

Scrap my idea go the IPA :icon_chickcheers:

I might go the Alt. Enough German hops to cover it.. The APA in the fermenter will tide me over for US hop hits for a bit. I'm out of melanoidin, so might put a little (100g) of Caralpils. Everything I've brewed lately has been 6%+. (No scales, so using the "bucket of malt" method).

Will be good to clear the decks of lots of this grain. Getting a load of base malt in next weekend :)

Thanks all.

PoMo im intrigued about your Halloween Porter with a two bags of fantail lollies. Where did you get that idea? When did you put them into the boil. Did you have to prepare them first or just open the bag and pore them in? Any chance of the recipe?
Cheers
Steve

Back