What Size Socket?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
I have been using an adjustable shifter to get the in and out posts of my keg off as I don't have a deep enough socket for the job. Planning to go shopping tomorrow at Repco, what size should I get for this (have a full kit, but nothing deep enough)?

Cheers,

Kuzzy

I have been using an adjustable shifter to get the in and out posts of my keg off as I don't have a deep enough socket for the job. Planning to go shopping tomorrow at Repco, what size should I get for this (have a full kit, but nothing deep enough)?

Cheers,

Kuzzy
Not all posts are the same size and shape. It might pay to take an empty keg with you if you have one.
I think some people have been using the spark plug socket out of their kit.

I use a ring spanner for mine, actually two as I have two different types of posts.
7/8" is the common size, the other is 11/16".
Already had these at home, not sure how much a deep socket would set you back compared to a spanner.
Cheers
Nige

7/8" and 11/16" seem to be the most common (well that's what I've got at least). I just grabbed ring spanners in those two sizes for $2 each out of the box of random spanners at a local shop since I don't see myself working on too much stuff that needs imperial sizes.

While we're discussing keg tools, my latest batch of kegs have a 12(?) pointed star type of arrangement on the gas in posts instead of the usual nut. Apart from multigrips, what can be used to remove them?

cheers

grant

While we're discussing keg tools, my latest batch of kegs have a 12(?) pointed star type of arrangement on the gas in posts instead of the usual nut. Apart from multigrips, what can be used to remove them?
Appropriately sized ring spanner or (deep) socket.

I use a 22mm ring spanner for the 12 point star posts and a 17mm for my one smaller one.

I also use ring spanners - I purchased my two from the bargain bin at Bunning's.... only $2ea... you don't need Sidchrome because you should not over tighten your beer & gas posts.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

I use a 22mm ring spanner for the 12 point star posts and a 17mm for my one smaller one.

Spot on there 22mm ring spanner. My batch came through with the star type fittings. Popped up to Bunnings and picked up a little ring spanner set with all the main sizes for 10$. Think there was about 10 different ones. Bargain :p

Picked up a sidchrome 7/8 long socket that fits perfectly on the gas star posts for $4 at the caboolture markets this morning. Probably doesn't help the OP but I had to tell someone :D

Brad

I have pin lock kegs and they're 13/16". I use a wrench since a fancy socket made just for pin lock kegs is $$$.

Just picked up my spanner set this morning, works a dream. Unless you stumble upon them at a market etc or already have them, don't bother with socket sets, bloody expensive to buy deep set bits when a set of spanners are cheap as chips and will serve loads of other jobs around the house. And shifters I was finding too chunky to do the job.

And to confirm, 2 of the kegs I got from Ross' Christmas special are 7/8" and 2 are 11/16". So hard to guarantee you'll only ever get the one size, best off having the tools around to tackle all of them.

Thanks fellas, will visit the big green shed tomorrow.

cheers

grant

you can get deep socket sets from Supa Cheap Auto for not much cash. I did.

they had 22mm ring spanners when I was there last for $2. I couldn't find them at Bunnings.

Repco will take you to the cleaners big time for these items.

Back