What Shall I Try

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
I have some Budvar wyeast at home so im curious on what shall i brew with this? Im thinking some nice drinking summer type beer. Can i do a pilsner with this is this more for a German type lager? Anyhooooooow would mind hearing some opinions

Just finished a run of 3 beers using this yeast.

#1 was a simple Bo Pils. 100% wey pils, bittered with perle, saaz for flavour/aroma - single decoction

#2 was a german pils, 75% pils, 25% munich, bittered with perle, tettnang for flavour/aroma.

#3 was an oktoberfest of sorts. 95% vienna, 5% caramunich II. Nelson sauvin all the way thru.

Bo pils lasted 24 hours on a camping trip with mates.
German pils got tapped on sunday and is a nice clean german lager, the recipe (from BenH) is linked in my signature

The occy is still lagering away but cheeky samples are very malty with that unique NS flavour/aroma. Looking forward to it in the new year.

Ive just done a Pils and an Oktoberfest with this yeast, ferments quite quickly at the start then slows right down... takes about two weeks to ferment at 10*c from 1055

Might give this one ago.... Its one of Ross's brews. Any one tries it??

4.30 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 82.69 %
0.60 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 11.54 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5.77 %
42.00 gm Saaz [2.20 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
42.00 gm Saaz [2.20 %] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
10.00 gm NZ Saaz B [6.70 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
42.00 gm Saaz [2.20 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
42.00 gm Saaz [2.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
10.00 gm NZ Saaz B [6.70 %] (5 min)

gday,

i smacked my pack of Budvar last night and still no sign of activity from the pack, the inner nutrient pack is definitely smacked...

should i go ahead and try my starter anyway ?

cheers
Yard

gday,

i smacked my pack of Budvar last night and still no sign of activity from the pack, the inner nutrient pack is definitely smacked...

should i go ahead and try my starter anyway ?

cheers
Yard

Hi again Yardy

I've had this problem before and gone ahead to make a starter with the pack contents and haven't had a problem. The starter did take almost a week to get to high krausen but did go great.

Cheers

ToG

Hi again Yardy

I've had this problem before and gone ahead to make a starter with the pack contents and haven't had a problem. The starter did take almost a week to get to high krausen but did go great.

Cheers

ToG

Thanks TOG,

nothing to lose i suppose :icon_cheers:

cheers
Yard

Hi again Yardy

Cheers

ToG

just goes to show, no activity doesn't mean it's buggered, had action in the airlock this morning after 12 hrs and it's ticking over slowly but surely now @ 10*C.

this liquid yeast thing's not so difficult :icon_cheers:

cheers

Back