What Malt For A Dunkelweizen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahonya1

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have made a few pretty decent Weizens using 50% Weyermann's Pale Wheat Malt and 50% Pilsener malt, and now I want to attempt a Dunkelweizen. I am unsure about what malt to use, and therefore wanting some advice. My questions below:

• Would you still use Pilsener malt or substitute it for Vienna or Munich malt?
  • Would you use Dark Wheat malt rather than Pale wheat malt?
  • And how about using a small amount of Chocolate wheat malt (1 - 5%), or would you recommend using roasted barley instead?
Any other advice regarding malt used in Dunkelweizens would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

^^^

What he said. My best dunkelweizen was 60% wheat, 40% Munich II and about 100g of Carafa II for the colour in a 23L batch. It was a little dark, so next time I'd bring the Carafa II back to about 75g.

Edit: Dunkelweizen != dunkel

^^^

What he said. My best Dunkel was 60% wheat, 40% Munich II and about 100g of Carafa II for the colour in a 23L batch. It was a little dark, so next time I'd bring the Carafa II back to about 75g.

Also Schneider Weisse original is considered a decent example of a dunkel, atleast according to BJCP. Also that beer is copper in appearance. i think BJCP reserve the straw coloured hefe to the hefeweizen category. maybe zwickle can chime in. ;)

3.13kg pale wheat
1.36kg munich
0.9kg Pils
170g Special "B"
170g Crystal 40
57g Carafa II

Mash 67C for 60 mins

28g Hallertau @ 60 min

From the Brewing Classic Styles book

So assuming that is pale wheat malt.....

pale wheat, dark wheat, whatever suits. i'd say dark wheat would add abit mroe of a melanoiden character, possibly increasing the richness of the beer.

3.13kg pale wheat
1.36kg munich
0.9kg Pils
170g Special "B"
170g Crystal 40
57g Carafa II

Mash 67C for 60 mins

28g Hallertau @ 60 min

From the Brewing Classic Styles book
Whats the litres ?

Hmmm, must be the season for Dunkel's.

I am trying for a "Banana Bread Dunkel" which I'd like to taste some thing like Banana Walnut bread.

My recipe so far:

Type Gravity [SG] Gravity(%) Weight [gms (lbs)] Weight(%)
Carawheat (Wyermann) 1.008 15.87% 1000.00 (2.20) 19.05%
Maris Otter Malt (Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted) 1.010 19.34% 1000.00 (2.20) 19.05%
Munich Malt - 20L 1.010 18.86% 1000.00 (2.20) 19.05%
Wheat Chocolate Malt (Weyermann) 1.002 3.90% 250.00 (0.55) 4.76%
Wheat Malt, Ger 1.021 42.03% 2000.00 (4.41) 38.10%

Perle Hops 25g @ 20.00
Pacific Hallertau 16g @ flameout

Probably WB06 as a yeast.

Kinda hoping the MO will supply some "nuttiness" as it says in the description.
Having never used WB06 I am not sure if it is the most appropriate for assisting with the Banana side of things.
The Pacific Hallertau is supposed to offer some spiciness (for the nutmeg, cinnamon etc in the bread)

Any thoughts on that as a proposed recipe ?

Banshee - volume into fermenter 20.8L

26.5L pre boil, 22.7 post boil although they recommend increasing it to cover a 90min boil

I think Tony mentions chocolate wheat (different to dark wheat ) as being key to a good DW. Haven't tried it but I'd trust the man on his word. Check the recipe DB and sort the recipes into method=all grain, type = ale and sort owner, then go to all Tony's recipes. Fairly certain he has a dunkelweizen recipe in there.

On second thoughts don't do that because it doesn't come up. Just go here instead: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=593

I think Tony mentions chocolate wheat (different to dark wheat ) as being key to a good DW. Haven't tried it but I'd trust the man on his word. Check the recipe DB and sort the recipes into method=all grain, type = ale and sort owner, then go to all Tony's recipes. Fairly certain he has a dunkelweizen recipe in there.

On second thoughts don't do that because it doesn't some up. Just go here instead: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=593

Cheers Manticle, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I think Tony mentions chocolate wheat (different to dark wheat ) as being key to a good DW.

I'll second the Chocolate Wheat.
My Unkel Dunkel in the database was absolutely delicious and easily translated to AG.

I started making Dunkelweizens with pale wheat and Minich malt but did some reading and got a bag of Dark Wheat. The maltiness imparted by the dark wheat as aposed to Munich malt is very different and if you want an authentic Dunkelweizen...... go the dark wheat option for sure.

Chocolate wheat is one of the best dark grains available if you ask me.......... its wonderful stuff and perfect to add some colour and character to your dunkel but dont add enough to make it roasty. Get hold of some carawheat MHB once described it to me as coco pop malt. a few % of this in the beer and your in buisness.

That recipe quoted above is a rippa....... its converted more than a few to Dark Wheat malt.

I also agree with using a good liquid strain over the dry wheat yeasts.......... thay are much better!

cheers

Latest posts

Back