What Is This In My Can Of Extract?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottKemp

Reaction score
Hi all

I was just putting down a batch last night and when I opened the can of X-tract bitter it had a funny white growth on top (see Pics) :angry:

I am assuming it is not good, but since I washed and sterilsed everything I put it down anyway. My question is does anyone know what it could be as I have never seen it before? and am I wasting my time fermenting it?

IMG_20070922_003.JPG
IMG_20070922_004.JPG

Cheers
HomerKemp

Ps - I hope those attachments worked! :p

i'd be asking the retailer about that one

Looks like someone at the paint shop tried to tint it. :D

Brew it and give it to your ex-girlfriend/wife or gilted lover....or as a gift to the people at the brew shop to savor at a later date if they refuse to take it back.

:lol:

Dont TCB use hops in their cans?

not sure about the white bit though :eek:

Dont TCB use hops in their cans?

not sure about the white bit though :eek:

The hop pellets are in there and not a problem, this is a white growth mainly stuck to the lid and sitting on top of the extract. and the only reason I am quite sure about that as when I did the first batch of X-tracts I asked the guy the exact same thing! :D

Thanks everyone for your input, looks like it is what I feared, I knew I shouldn't have put it in to ferment but with a 4 year boy 'helping me' once I said we were making beer then we were making beer or I would have had to listen to the whinging for the rest of the day and trust me that is not a good way to spend your saturday ;)

Maybe ARMSTRONG can answer your query!?!

The hop pellets are in there and not a problem, this is a white growth mainly stuck to the lid and sitting on top of the extract. and the only reason I am quite sure about that as when I did the first batch of X-tracts I asked the guy the exact same thing! :D

Thanks everyone for your input, looks like it is what I feared, I knew I shouldn't have put it in to ferment but with a 4 year boy 'helping me' once I said we were making beer then we were making beer or I would have had to listen to the whinging for the rest of the day and trust me that is not a good way to spend your saturday ;)

YOU ACTUALLY MADE IT? :icon_vomit:
Brave man!: :super:
We're all expecting tasting notes now, Homer. And an interesting name of course.

YOU ACTUALLY MADE IT? :icon_vomit:
Brave man!: :super:
We're all expecting tasting notes now, Homer. And an interesting name of course.

Looks like one of the manufacturers got excited when putting that batch together :eek:

just in interest Homer, is that tin like a pry open paint tin style or can opened?

just in interest Homer, is that tin like a pry open paint tin style or can opened?
Looks pretty much the same as the 3KG ESB tins, which do also come in the paint tin style cans with a pry open lid.
I've always seen chunky hop pellets in there but nothing white like in Homer's tin.

I was just putting down a batch last night and when I opened the can of X-tract bitter it had a funny white growth on top (see Pics) :angry:

I think you will find that it's probably just a mould/wild yeast growth. Mould spores are pretty resistant to heat and live quite happily on top of high sugar substrate.

Anything that can grow on malt extract isn't going to be poisonous, but if it survives the boil (unlikely) it may taint your beer with earthy, mousey type flavours.

It looks as though the manufacturers may have had a problem with their pasteuriser/steriliser that day.

Good luck with it! Maybe you have discovered a new yeast strain superior to Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Saccharomyces homerius?

What the white in the picture is ISOFRESH. (bittering agent)

We can the malt hot and often turns the ISO milky ... not unlike when it is added to water.

This is fairly common and nothing to worry about.

Back