What is the world coming to?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad said:
I've watched TV this weekend for the first time in a while. I'm about to go out and buy a new phone, sign up at executive income.com, buy a jeep, drink some coke, try out for a talent show, sign up on dating sites, whatever else I'm told to do 50 times an hour. How do people watch this shit, I think I am going to be one cynical old man as I get older.
Thus a good reason to get Funeral and Life Insurance. Do you know that you are now able to arrange life Insurance over the phone. All we need is your age and smoking status.

Order of preference for teams to win. Broncos, Cowboys, storm then bunnies

Nothing but the truth

elcarter said:
This is a perfect example of a conversion I had with an Australian who had been living in Frankfurt Germany for some time.

We were both sitting in the Australian consulate waiting for our turn to vote in the last Australian election when the topic turned to what I assumed was the upcoming local German election.

There were so many candidate bill boards around Frankfurt some almost looked like practical jokes, grown men holding pot plants ect I thought it was odd that tis is how one in Germany would gain votes.

On that comment he explained to me a very interesting view that has stuck with me for quite some time,

According to him, in Germany when they have a beer or a gathering the topic of conversation is generally a lot to do with politics, world views and the opinions of those getting together. I feel that here in Aus if you brought that up at a pub the music would stop and you'd be thrown out. He said that there were so many candidate signs because there were generally a lot of concerned individuals that actually form parties and have a crack. Almost everyone was passionate or at least informed about the political climate of their country or community that I talked to.

He said in comparison the Australian population usually don't care about the two main political parties and are generally ill informed by the various media misrepresentation. He went on to explain Australian conversations were almost always centered around sport. He even went to go as far as suggesting the government and media use sport as a nullifying tool to help distract the population a and keep them focused on trivial events.

This thread started with some pretty serious shit and within a few post lads going on about sporting clubs.

It's an interesting view point that continues to show some similarities. I think the front page in the work room paper yesterday was dedicated to AFL, not the wests failing political attempt to repel Putin from re-assembling the Russian empire or the ISIS troops turning the Middle east back a few hundred years.

Is rough numbers at the moment but appears that ISIS since June this year has killed 30,000 - 50,000. That's almost all 75,000 Collingwood supporters.

Maybe he's on to something.

Edit, thankfully ISIS may have killed much less around 2000. Possibly not enough collingwood supporters.
elcarter said:
This is a perfect example of a conversion I had with an Australian who had been living in Frankfurt Germany for some time.

We were both sitting in the Australian consulate waiting for our turn to vote in the last Australian election when the topic turned to what I assumed was the upcoming local German election.

There were so many candidate bill boards around Frankfurt some almost looked like practical jokes, grown men holding pot plants ect I thought it was odd that tis is how one in Germany would gain votes.

On that comment he explained to me a very interesting view that has stuck with me for quite some time,

According to him, in Germany when they have a beer or a gathering the topic of conversation is generally a lot to do with politics, world views and the opinions of those getting together. I feel that here in Aus if you brought that up at a pub the music would stop and you'd be thrown out. He said that there were so many candidate signs because there were generally a lot of concerned individuals that actually form parties and have a crack. Almost everyone was passionate or at least informed about the political climate of their country or community that I talked to.

He said in comparison the Australian population usually don't care about the two main political parties and are generally ill informed by the various media misrepresentation. He went on to explain Australian conversations were almost always centered around sport. He even went to go as far as suggesting the government and media use sport as a nullifying tool to help distract the population a and keep them focused on trivial events.

This thread started with some pretty serious shit and within a few post lads going on about sporting clubs.

It's an interesting view point that continues to show some similarities. I think the front page in the work room paper yesterday was dedicated to AFL, not the wests failing political attempt to repel Putin from re-assembling the Russian empire or the ISIS troops turning the Middle east back a few hundred years.

Is rough numbers at the moment but appears that ISIS since June this year has killed 30,000 - 50,000. That's almost all 75,000 Collingwood supporters.

Maybe he's on to something.

Edit, thankfully ISIS may have killed much less around 2000. Possibly not enough collingwood supporters.
+1 'feed them bread' http://armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/The-Perfect-Game(2082479).htm

I googled TLDR and it sums up my feelings pretty economically.

Umm, for wombil and Smallfry , " Machiavelli and the Four Seasons" . Funny album.

For Smallfry , " ---- ----------- -- --- ------, from whence forth is his ancestry?"

And for some ....with no particular reference to anyone.....but its a good song

http://youtu.be/blO3EtP_D10

With no particular reference to anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KVm8G0ipETc

Feldon said:
Makes you think; What was the mindset of young men like before the advent of team sport? The answer might explain why we have no more Newtons, Shakespeares and Mozarts.
I'm optimistically going to say it's not THAT dire. There are heaps of geniuses (genei?) popping up, but the endless layers of politics surrounding research these days make it hard to get your voice heard. Not like the 1600s when a plague would break out and you could live on a farm for 6 months doing nothing but the beginnings of calculus.
What shits me is this funny assumption that the human race is intelligent; we base that entirely on a few really clever people, while the rest of us buy sausepans off TV. They shit me.

manticle said:
I struggle to believe anyone with an IQ above 90 could be influenced in their spending habits by many of the TV ads around today.
I recon that shit makes you incrementally stupider, until your IQ is below 90. At any rate having ads like these still encourage a consumerist society. Even if you're not buying their product, it promotes the view that 'buying wotzeys makes you happy'.

This is serious, mum.

Cracker thread. No content but impressive longevity.

What IS the world coming to when we originated as a hunter and gathering society, hunting May as we'll be outlawed and is a continual thorn in the side for people who want to. Gathering will get you a big fine unless you are of native birth. With all the revenue raising on licensing, fishing, shooting, breathing... Um not yet but it's probably in the mix. No wonder youth of today don't want or need to use the outdoors for leisure.

Hell don't catch a fish without permission for fun or food... Fine

Don't bag yourself a tasty morsel from the bush even though it is feral... Fine

Don't pick yourself a mushroom or greens for a salad...fing Fine...

Undersized fish and non feral animals I'm 'fine' with but can't we have a bit of leeway when it comes to recreational activities and sustained living. I love nothing better than taking a goat or two for the pot but with the memberships and licences I need a couple a year to justify it. Fishing is better and the per kilo rate is less significant on a recreational angler. At least fisheries use the funds for stocking etc. I am still not allowed to have a wander through the bush and pick mushrooms or other interesting edibles. It is even frowned apron in state forests now, some of the last lands not privately owned.

Don't grow your own tobacco, but weed is sort of ok as it's not taxed,

Don't grow some medicinal herbs, obviously because some abuse them.

Is there a law against ******* and drinking yet? I heard about licensing for brewing beer being talked about so maybe that will be the next big thing.

They are turning us into cattle, like a Bull with no horns and no balls. We can't buck, we can't ****, just sit there and bullshit.

Pilchard said:
They are turning us into cattle, like a Bull with no horns and no balls. We can't buck, we can't ****, just sit there and bullshit.
Just sit there work your job, consume, be entertained with the screen on your wall and marketing will take care of your every other experience, I guess we can some what be happy our Police haven't flat out Militarised themselves just yet... Tanks? Grenade Launchers? Police Stocking up on Military Giveaway

Lame name for a documentary but check out Cowspiracy best start thinking about your meat intake, To produce 1 pound of beef equivalent to 2 months worth of showers.. Wish I could find a stream

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE[/media]

Prince Imperial said:
El Carter, your made sounds like a Marxist. The opiate of the masses is no longer religion huh?
I had no idea what this was had to Google it. Mind blown.

Thank you for enlightening me further.

Back