What Is Root Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
We were talking beer at work, nothing new there, but the question was asked. What is Root Beer? Is it the same as Ginger Beer?
Of the six people in my section none of us have been to the States so we are searching for a recipe or at least an answer.
Jim

Courtesy of google... when in doubt, try google!

Not really a beer! It was created in the mid-1800s by Philadelphia pharmacist Charles Hires, the original root beer was a (very) low-alcohol, naturally effervescent beverage made by fermenting a blend of sugar and yeast with various roots, herbs and barks such as sarsaparilla, sassafras, wild cherry, wintergreen and ginger. Today's commercial root beer is completely non-alcoholic and generally contains sugar, caramel colouring, a combination of artificial and natural flavourings (including some of those originally used) and carbonated water for sparkle.
www.lynnwoodinn.com/content/beerterm.htm

What he said. It's pretty much just sarsaparilla, although I reckon if I could make an alcoholic version then my girlfriend would love me forever.

If you want to sample some to get an idea of what a root beer might taste like, try Bundaberg root beer. It's not bad for a carbonated sugar-caramel beverage.

Dr Pepper is supposed to be a root beer.

I tried Dr Pepper once. It tasted sickeningly of marzipan and I've never tried it since.

Sorry, but, an A&W Root Beer (going back to the early seventies) shat all over Coke.

LOL - fair enough Hopeye. I had a year of seppos trying to convince we otherwise....

having said that - I had similar probelms with them and vegemite

Hopeye said:
Sorry, but, an A&W Root Beer (going back to the early seventies) shat all over Coke.
when I was in canada, there was nothing better then going down to A&W for a burger and a root beer. It rocked.

pr1me said:
when I was in canada, there was nothing better then going down to A&W for a burger and a root beer. It rocked.
A&W on the Beach at Pacifica (16 miles south of San Francisco) after surfing on a Sat. Arvo....... Burger, Root Beer and a couple of joints......... Listening to Led Zepp. Now that's rockin.

I really dont think alot of root beer, though I have never liked sarsparilla, so I kinda avoided it in the states. Cant remember what A&W was like, but I never could go past an In'N'Out or even better, Fatburger. Nothing better after a surf than a double double meal, or a fatburger with cheese and a choccy shake. Yummo. And Hopeye, what is gods name were ya doing surfing in SF? Cold as a one night stand, and OB has to be one of the heaviest beachbreak paddle outs I have ever had. Still, if San F had San D's weather, I would probably move there tomorrow.
Cheers
Trent

Trent,

It was either surf at Pacifica (SF) or don't surf at all. I went to High School there......

Kai said:
What he said. It's pretty much just sarsaparilla
I love the old sars & would prefer it to a lot of my batches that have been rooted. :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I am old enough to remember that in my youth it was the thing to have a dash of sars (or lemonade) with your beer. Still do it sometimes. It's good. Try it out.

Understood, Hopeye
Better to freeze and be surfing than be warm and not. I'm sure ya got some good waves over there (and some empty ones), I reckon the younger ya are the less cold water bothers ya. Fingers crossed for some good waves soon
Trent

Back