What happens when you over boil a pale ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motman

Reaction score
Hey all, I made my first all grain batch on the weekend (a double batch via brew in a bag). I was shooting for a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone with an OG of 1.056 but underestimated my burner. I boiled off 10lt and turned out with an OG of 1.066.

My question is will this result in a beer that is out of balance or do u think the hop bitterness will concentrate accordingly? Have I just made an IPA instead?

I suppose time will tell but interested in the theory of what will happen.

Cheers,
Tom

Did you boil the hops the entire time, or did you remove the hops and continue to boil off ten litres? Also, how long was the total boil time?

I wouldn't worry dude.
Should just be a heavier beer.
The amount of hops and boil time in theory should yield the same ibu.
Possibly a tiny amount more bitter due to the reduced amount of wort.

Happy to be corrected.

Hope it ferments well, enjoy !

CF

I used free floating pellet hops for a 60 minute boil, a 20 minute addition and flame out. I didn't boil any extra, just that the burner was more full on than I thought. I'm a couple of days of ferment in, so probably won't risk diluting at this stage. I will dry hop heavier though, good idea.

It will change the IBU:SG ratio

You would need to add some extra bitterness to it to keep it the same

Ducatiboy stu said:
It will change the IBU:SG ratio

You would need to add some extra bitterness to it to keep it the same
Would it really?

I would agree that it will chqnge the ibu:sg ratio if the efficiency was different to that which was planned, however in this case, it seems that efficiency was correct, he just had a higher evaporation than expected.

Edit- Maybe change a little bit due to utilisation at the higher OG however in the big scheme of things I would have thought it to be very similar.

I hope so - in that case I just made a bigger, more bitter beer - fine with me!

Back