What Do You Cover Your Taps With?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantocks

it's time to step up the BPM
Reaction score
so last night and as the weather is heating up I've found some nasties buzzing around my taps, is there anything I can use to plug or cover them up as night as I'm done with them?

maybe even a rubber balloon I guess, but I was hoping for something a little better.

Ross has some tap covers they work well and are cheap enough

check them out at craftbrewer site

I usually cover mine with an empty glass.

Pull the handle till full then remove cover.

cheers

So long as they cannot get into the keg, you will be safe. Keep open fermenters away from them.

So long as they cannot get into the keg, you will be safe. Keep open fermenters away from them.

good advice? except when I go to pour a pint and get a whole glass of flying ants/flies/whatever floating on top

Quantocks, pour 10 ml out in a spare glass and throw it for the angels.

The ones from Craftbrewer will only really fit the narrow spouted units like the Brumbies etc. You sorta can get them on the older style Andale taps ie DA/Floryte/EK etc etc, but they dont stay on very well.

Cheers

Sully

The ones from Craftbrewer will only really fit the narrow spouted units like the Brumbies etc. You sorta can get them on the older style Andale taps ie DA/Floryte/EK etc etc, but they dont stay on very well.

Cheers

Sully

Rubber stoppers are as cheap as chips from Clark Rubber, etc. FWIW my Broncos are safe & sound inside the fridge. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

i just tear off a piece of alfoil that i have on top of my keg fridge ,push it over the tap then crunch it into shape with my hand. after a few days when it gets a bit crappy i pull another small piece off the roll and do the same, works great.

cheers
fergi

when I went on holidays over x-mas I just boiled some water in a cup and nad soaked the tap for a couple of minutes and sprayed 70% alcohol up the tap.

I generally don't bother between drinks but those tap covers seem a good idea for outdoor taps.

Matti

I use one of those little squeezable tomato sauce bottles that I bought from a $2 shop. After a session, fill her up with hot water, put it under the tap, and squeeze. It'll get rid of all the stuff the nasties are looking for. They're also great for squirting a little bit of Iodophor up into the fermenter tap before racking.

Quantocks - had the same problem as you. Vinegar flies decided to make their home in the taps when i wasnt using them so for a few $$ picked up the covers from the sponsors up above. Its an andale font, not a brumby and they fit like a glove..... :p

DSCF2074-1.jpg

Quantocks - had the same problem as you. Vinegar flies decided to make their home in the taps when i wasnt using them so for a few $$ picked up the covers from the sponsors up above. Its an andale font, not a brumby and they fit like a glove..... :p

DSCF2074-1.jpg

Whats that dirty bottle of vodka doing there making your bar look bad? :p

Whats that dirty bottle of vodka doing there making your bar look bad? :p

:lol:

Leftover from a party - along with the wild turkey and J.Walker in the dispensers. Also have a 6 pack of carlton cold that i am using to kill snails. People rock up with their grog and then drink mine and leave me their crap!

Mate of mine uses rubber sowing thimbles for his taps.
Cheers
Steve

:lol:

Leftover from a party - along with the wild turkey and J.Walker in the dispensers. Also have a 6 pack of carlton cold that i am using to kill snails. People rock up with their grog and then drink mine and leave me their crap!

Hahaha, I remember when I used to wake up after a party to discover what goodies were left behind, now its just a pain in the ass cos theres never anything worth drinking :D

Back