What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pink Floyd: Great Gig in the sky.

Yes I'm going through a pink Floyd phase. About to watch the wall.

On video.

I still feel young.

Not music but a comedian/visionary.

Bill Hicks: Revelations.

Dokken: tooth and nail. Young enough to ferociously defend the old school haha...acid wash jeans and boofy hair supreme.

Slayer - Reign in Blood.

This is such an unrelenting album, still kills it today. The lyrics, left and right guitar solo's from King and Hanneman and Dave Lombardo. One of my all time records.

Opeth - Heritage

pretty damn good if 70s prog floats your boat.

here's a review: cool
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/...73-e3e65a2f8245
I almost bought that album yesterday but ended up with mastodon's newie. Its not as cool as thier other stuff but im sure it will grow on me. not as unique as their others, and that accessability is a bit dull. I prefer the prog style so maybe I will get more opeth anyway, despite being a bit ovet the band.

Half way through on first listen, and yet to hear anything approaching "metal"...

True, but not much of that on Damnation either...

Mastodon - all power to them, they can move and change and do whatever the hell they want as they earned their stripes in the underground for years. I reckon it'll grow, same as 'Crack' did.

WarmBeer - Heritage isn't a metal album.

Silo Ted - I have to agree with Lecterfan here - I've listened to The Hunter non stop for a few days since it leaked, it's a real grower. Usually albums which are so vocal-heavy and "songy" piss me off, but i'm really digging the lack of musical wankery.. and the lack of snare fills in every 2nd bar. Also the layers of acoustic guitars over every bloody riff on Crack the Skye really shit me to tears. The Hunter sounds to me like Queens of the Mastodon Age, & I like that.

Don't get me wrong, I think its good but having only had the album for 24 hours its still early days. You have to admit that the conventional approach is a surprising one for mastodon.

Definitely. Not sure if conventional so much as accessible. eg Creature Lives is a complete surprise, and little parts like the verse riff in Bedazzled are bit of a spin out.

I actually like getting different offerings from bands...it's like someone pointed out with Reign in blood earlier, the contrast between that and South of Heaven actually concreted the classic status of both - but not at the time...if I want to hear blood and thunder I can still go and listen to it, but if I want to get my groove on then I have that option now also (moreso even than 'Crack...' which has actually usurped blood mountain for me as my fave - but then again I got drunk and posted the glories of Dokken a few posts ago so I'm a sucker for a fist pumping 80's chorus haha).

It's like being reminded by everyone of that "really good" beer that you brewed ages ago while they are sipping on some deftly crafted masterpiece that you consider your finest work to date hahahaha... ah anyway.

Just to get back to "The Hunter" for a moment. A song that I keep coming back to in the past day or two is "Curl of the Burl". **** me, what an awesome rock song. Heavy as ****, and (moderatly) within reach to anyone who loves balls-out RAWK.

Back