What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated the ipod a bit last night, now got cranking:

Puddle of Mudd
Fallout Boy - folie a deux
Metallica - death magnetic
The Butterfly Affect
Tool

Sure beats listening to the banter going on here at work in the background!

Yea, the Phonecian was awesome. Shame that Bob Carr decided to close it as some weak arsed attempt at a 'War on Drugs'. Tea Party played their second ever Sydney gig there (The Lansdowne Hotel was their first)

Did The Hanging Tree have an EP as well, or are you referring to the album with the grainy photo of guys in gas masks, and a sci-fi illustration on the back ? What I would like to get my hands on is a copy of anything by a band called "Subterranian" which was a branch off from THT.

If you were at Juice gigs, it's very likely that we were at a lot of the same inner-city pubs at the same time.

I recall seeing someone do a stagedive/ jump from the 1st floor balcony. I don't recall seeing them being caught though <_< :lol:
Yeah that's the Hanging Tree one I've got.
Never heard of Subterranian sadly, but must look around.
How about Magic Lunchbox... are they still around? They were a deadset crackup.

Updated the ipod a bit last night, now got cranking:

Puddle of Mudd
Fallout Boy - folie a deux
Metallica - death magnetic
The Butterfly Affect
Tool

Sure beats listening to the banter going on here at work in the background!
With a playlist like that, I dunno, have a look for Breaking Benjamin & Seether. Not bad heavy rock. Not my total faves, but they still get a good cranking on my gigabeat.

Lucius Borich (son of the truly greatest Kiwi/Aussie Blues Guitarist Kevin Borich)....

There we go, Kevin Borich is awesome live :super:

You'd like him Jayse...

Oh yes what a great player, damn I miss big pub rock gigs, damn you to hell pokies!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Borich is f&&ing awesome live. I dont typically go for 'old dinosaurs', but KB is mind-blowing.

I'm just now discovering Monster Magnet (the 'Powertrip' album') as I write. Good stuff if you like '90's rock that's left of the mainstream. I could get into MM a bit more I think.

Soundwave was awesome, nothing like standing out in the sun all day drinking expensive cheap beer from plastic cups (at least it was coopers) whilst being knocked and smashed about by sweaty bodies in large pits.

Wil is fantastic fronting Alice in Chains the highlight of the day for sure, you might think a black man with an afro and flares would look kinda out of place. I was certainly not sure what to expect of Alice in Chains without Layne but man they proved they are still one of the greatest bands ever! Saw Mike Inez and Wil at the enigma bar after and chatted to Mike for awhile.

Other highlights were, All That Remains, Unearth, In Flames and Lamb of God. Woke up with no broken bones this morning so I survived another battering in a Lamb Of God pit.

I'm just now discovering Monster Magnet (the 'Powertrip' album') as I write. Good stuff if you like '90's rock that's left of the mainstream. I could get into MM a bit more I think.
Oh man, now i have to dig out my old MM cds. Remember seeing them years ago together with the 'weed at the Metro. what a gig.

Soundwave was awesome, nothing like standing out in the sun all day drinking expensive cheap beer from plastic cups (at least it was coopers) whilst being knocked and smashed about by sweaty bodies in large pits.

Wil is fantastic fronting Alice in Chains the highlight of the day for sure, you might think a black man with an afro and flares would look kinda out of place. I was certainly not sure what to expect of Alice in Chains without Layne but man they proved they are still one of the greatest bands ever! Saw Mike Inez and Wil at the enigma bar after and chatted to Mike for awhile.

Other highlights were, All That Remains, Unearth, In Flames and Lamb of God. Woke up with no broken bones this morning so I survived another battering in a Lamb Of God pit.

On the back of our chat the other night, I dug out some Alice in Chains and have been listening to DIRT whilst driving to work. I don't follow bands/music like I used to, anything similar that I should be listening to?

thought I'd morph the fave gig sub-thread a bit and split by venue size:

fav pub gig - DRI - sutho royal. Must have been about 88. Mass Appeal supported from memory. Still stands out as an all time classic. (honorable mentions - any Mass Appeal gig mid to late 80's, early WWXIV gigs at Seven Hills Tavern (84/85??), the Hard Ons residency at the Strawberry Hills in 85, each week it just got bigger and bigger...& seeing Feedtime up at the Palace Hotel on many Friday nights in 85 - great noise!!)

fav larger venue gig, (think Selina's, Horden, etc) - Not as clear cut. Probably Jerry A fronting the Hard Ons at the big day out early 90's. (honorable mentions, the two Buzzcocks gigs at Selina's early 90's - about 2 years apart from memory, Motorhead last year, SLF last year).

fav stadium gig - AC/DC Back in Black, Sydney Sportsground 81, (angels and swannee supported). First gig back in OZ after Bons death. Probably looking back at it through rose coloured glasses but it was a great night. (Honorable mentions - Iron Maiden last year, Iggy at big day out - can't remember which year)

richard

after the self indulgent reminisce above I pulled out Poison Ideas Feel the Darkness. I'd forgotten how good it was. Rest in Peace Pig Champion !!

After a bit of a scratch around, I stumbled onto Sonic Youth!

Call me slow to find this band, but WOW, now this is what I have been looking for...

Listening to Daydream Nation

Put the media player on random today for awhile while brewing and what made me stop still and go faaaar...out was black label society hungover music volume VII. Brillant brewing music, much more mellow than zakks ussual he's actually playing piano etc for the most part. Anyway pure brillance.
get out and get yourself a copy

Yesterday arvo was listening to Metallica's Ride The Lightning. Was good, it took me exactlt the length of the album to bottle a 26 litre brew. Just about to put down a quick and easy and will be enjoying either some Ugly Kid Joe, Skid row or Joe Satriani. Maybe I'll just do 2 batches and listen to em' all B)

Just got 1gig's worth of post-hardcore music off a workmate, which'll keep me sane for a while.
A whole lot of bands I've never really heard of before...
Emarosa - Relativity is on at the moment. Nice and loud.
Thankyou Mp3's.

Put the media player on random today for awhile while brewing and what made me stop still and go faaaar...out was black label society hungover music volume VII. Brillant brewing music, much more mellow than zakks ussual he's actually playing piano etc for the most part. Anyway pure brillance.
get out and get yourself a copy
Love that Album Jase
Also love listening to Zakk in Pride and Glory and his Solo Album

Franko

cool, pride and glory is my favourite out of all his stuff. Be great to see that band back together again.

Isn't it strange how some things attract the same kinds of people...!

I'm 31 and went through puberty to the sounds of indie and the early days of alternative. My Dad is a huge muso and we didn't have a TV when I was young - so.... I grew up on - and I mean, high rotation - the house always had music in it:

Led Zep
Deep Purple
CCR
Simon & the Funkle
Cream & Clapton (saw him a couple of weeks ago.... blurrrrgh)
Various gregorian chants (don't knock it till you try it with a good class A AMP and 100wRMS)
David Bowie
The Doors

Then my stuff:

Pearl Jam
RHCP
Alice in Chains
STP
Mr Bungle
Metallica
Smashing Pumpkins (MASSIVE FAN of Gish etc)
Screaming Trees
Nirvana
Radiohead
Mudhoney

Never really heard any Dylan, Rolling Stones etc. Don't know why - guess Dad didn't like em!

About 5 years ago starting listening further to the back catalogue from Metallica (Ride the Lightning / And Justice), Black Sabbath and some newer metal - A Perfect Circle etc.

Looking to get some suggestions as to where I go next. Not into thrash / death at all, like good solid, melodic and raw / clever music. For some reason I just don't like NIN or Tool ( that last album... I tried, it failed).

Suggestions?

Cheers - Mike

Back