What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wide Eyed and Legless, get on some James Carr action. You'll thank me later.

Piper at the gates of dawn.

I want to tell you a story... about a little gnome. His name was Grimble Gromble...

Boy they were on some heavy shit when they wrote that.

Yeah.. they were still on whatever it was they were on when they did Saucer full of secrets as well.

And from the descriptions in the syd Barrett biography about them early days, what they were on was pretty much everything. Personally i think it was all that sugar. Bound to give one an overactive imagination.

manticle said:
But by the time Ummagaumma and atom heart mother came around, they had totally cleaned up their act.
Just getting rid of Syd cleaned up their act by a factor of a thousand or so. No matter what the rest of the band was on, Syd was on way more than that.

I do prefer their later stuff personally. maybe its because I'm not old enough. The first Floyd album I remember buying was Momentary Lapse of Reason. I sort of worked my way backwards through their catalogue from there. Or maybe its because I'm not totally off my face at the moment.

I prefer 70s floyd mostly. 80s was a bit overblown and pretentious (I include Waters exit album final cut).

Great band overall, made me understand from a young age that psychedelia was not all about flowers and growing orange potatoes in a happy field full of balloons. Still got all my vinyl even though I rarely listen to much of it.

Brings me full circle: Coil - Ostia.

Primary band member and video designer Peter Christopherson was part of the design agency that made many of the iconic Pink Floyd Covers including wish you were here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_wEJV_eoY

Ironically my album shuffle this morning took me straight from Piper at the Gates to never Mind The Bollocks. I'm surprised my phone didn't explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2tjsNabkzo&app=desktop

Back