What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett will take some time. You're looking at more like a couple of months. Is there a pellicle yet? You will probably get one in the next few weeks. Patience may be stretched. :D

So... Um, how long is Brett supposed to take? 3 weeks? more? less? I know I shouldnt but im getting worried :huh: Still nothing happening...

Was having a chat with Mr Beer (Barry Cranston) on the Sydney Pub Crawl. Barry was telling me how he has been thinking a lot lately about brewing unique Australian styles, like the Americans have done... So in that train of thought, along with a bit of collaboration with Uncle Les, and a big sniff of the first bag of Topaz to hit the Hunter, decided to brew an Imperial Aussie Pilsener... I should add that I have been having a bit of a love affair with SMASH beers lately

6.5 kg BB pils

15g Topaz @ 60 min 23 IBU
10g Topaz @ 15 min 7 IBU
10g Topaz @ 1 min 1 IBU

All up 5.7% @ 31 IBU

Fermented with WY2000 Budvar

So... Um, how long is Brett supposed to take? 3 weeks? more? less? I know I shouldnt but im getting worried :huh: Still nothing happening...

Brett is just a sort of yeast really so things are temp dependent. The flavours it adds will develop over time and I'd aim for a couple of months on the brett but there should definitely be some action by now. I'm actually surprised that there's not something happening by now. Perhaps it's just the colder temperatures that are making things slow to move. What temp is it at now?

Brett is just a sort of yeast really so things are temp dependent. The flavours it adds will develop over time and I'd aim for a couple of months on the brett but there should definitely be some action by now. I'm actually surprised that there's not something happening by now. Perhaps it's just the colder temperatures that are making things slow to move. What temp is it at now?

Its sitting at around 16*c but probably drops over night cos its so damn cold here :( Should I try to bring the temp up to say 22?

Also, just doughed in this scottish 60 which im brewing to build up the 1728 for a scotch ale with basically the same percentages of malts...

2.1kg Perle
520g Munich
210g CaraRed
210g CaraMunich III
180g CaraAroma
69g Dark Crystal
69g Brown
35g Chocolae
35g Peated malt
90 - 12g Nugget 11.6%

Its sitting at around 16*c but probably drops over night cos its so damn cold here :( Should I try to bring the temp up to say 22?

It might help. On the other hand, you might be right and there wasn't much viable brett in the dregs you used. And what was the OG of the old ale?

Brett can sit in the wort aclimatising for quite some time before doing anything, your dregs may not have had enough viable brett to take off at the expected rate as Stu says, it is a hard bugger to kill so likely there was some in the dregs.
When I did my brett beer I added a smack pack, and then a month later when I still could no detect brett character the dregs of two bottles, it was still another month before some brett started coming through, and even then there was never any airlock activity, you got to be patient with that wild stuff :)

OG of the old ale was 1071, I pitched when it got down to 1030 and thats still where its sitting...

Cheers for the comments Mike, i guess ill just need to be patient.. I knew I was going to have to be patient with the ageing, but not this soon lol..

Ive got a mate who recently acquired a smackpack of Brett Brux and he said hed send some up in a couple of weeks, I guess if worse comes to worse I could just build some up then and pitch?

There wouldnt be any repurcussions of leaving it so long would there? Im sure there wont be...

30.00 gm Chinook - home grown [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
Hey mckenry,
Would love to know how your home-grown Chinook comes through.
I'm thinking of adding a Chinook Rhizome to the garden, but not sure how it will compare to the US-grown variety.

Hey mckenry,
Would love to know how your home-grown Chinook comes through.
I'm thinking of adding a Chinook Rhizome to the garden, but not sure how it will compare to the US-grown variety.

I have a simple APA on tap now that used home grown chinook flowers, 30g @ 20 and 30g @ 0.

Now i am completely unbiased but fark it tastes good! :lol:

To my untrained palate its more like B Saaz than US chinook as the APA tastes more like LC bright ale than the pale ale..... not that i was attempting to make anything other than an APA!

Am getting a few more qualified opinions this evening......

I'm looking at brewing an Aussie Sparkling Ale tomorrow. It goes a little like this, but I'm thinking about scaling the bitterness backa touch, any thoughts?

Recipe: Aussie Sparkling Ale
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Australian Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0) Very similar to Australian beers in the 60's. Pride of Ringwood is the traditional hop used for a very large number of Australian beers. Although not considered a typical flavour hop it works very well as a single hopped beer. Aim for 50 - 100 ppm of C

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 30.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.90 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (3.0 SRM) Grain 87.50 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.93 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
28.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
1.27 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Coopers Yeast [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 14.62 L of water at 73.6 C 65.6 C

planning to use some galaxy for the first time tomorrow

4.200 Galaxy
0.800 Munich 1
0.200 Crystal or Caraaroma
0.100 Amber

Northern Brewer and Hallertau Aroma to 27 IBU with maybe some Saaz at FO

S-189 @ 8*C

Yard

Got some kiddy free time this morning, so trying a dark/amber malty lager.

46.9% Pils
46.9% Vienna
1.7% Carafa 1
2.2% Melanoiden
2.2% Carared

Newport for 60 mins

Probably get a munich lager yeast for this one.

20IBU

Gunna do a thicker mash than normal, mash high, and add the carafa1 at the last 15 mins

Grant, IBU looks ok for 1.055.

Got some kiddy free time this morning, so trying a dark/amber malty lager.

46.9% Pils
46.9% Vienna
1.7% Carafa 1
2.2% Melanoiden
2.2% Carared

Newport for 60 mins

Probably get a munich lager yeast for this one.

20IBU

Gunna do a thicker mash than normal, mash high, and add the carafa1 at the last 15 mins

Grant, IBU looks ok for 1.055.

Cheers Mark, just running into the kettle now, smells delicious.

grant

A basic galaxy APA,
"Galaxian PA"

21 litres

4kg BB Ale malt,
1kg Munich 1,
mash at 68 c.
boil time 75 minutes
15gm Galaxy hops 60 min,
15gm Galaxy hops 15 min,
Koperfloc,
15gn Galaxy dry hop.
(Note - no-chilled)

This beer divides the drinkers who bludge here :rolleyes: , but the missus likes it - and more importantly so do I - over-the-top tropic fruit/passionfruit but some chewy malt for balance.

been over two months since my last brew so itching to get going. everything is set for tomorrow morning. grain is cracked and kitchen brewery is all set up. giving the nasa its first run. bumped up the gravity on my american bitter so its is now in apa territory

american bitter v3

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.30
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.81
Anticipated SRM: 7.5
Anticipated IBU: 29.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
96.5 4.15 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
3.5 0.15 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
12.00 g. Columbus Pellet 11.00 21.7 60 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.00 5.3 10 min.
10.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.00 2.2 1 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.00 0.0 Dry Hop

There was a thread a little while ago about creating a new Australian style of beer. Here's what I dreamed up.

Aussie Bitter

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

29.6 2.00 kg. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
29.6 2.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
29.6 2.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
7.4 0.50 kg. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
3.7 0.25 kg. Amber Malt Great Britain 1.032 35
0.1kg. Roast Malt <--Threw this in at the last minute for some colour.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

20.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 14.00 23.0 60 min.
40.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 6.6 10 min.

Going to ferment with US-05. Don't want any yeast character.

I know this was a few pages ago but i recon it will end up very harsh and almost astringent from almost 10% brown and amber malt.

Id swap the hops. 40g POR at 10 min? Better off to use POR to bitter and the Galaxy at the end as its the one with the aroma qualities.

let us know how it turns out

Topaz hops.........mmmm..........what have you done to me Chappo? Just as I'm desperately trying to work my way through my hop stash...
Gotta get some. Just this once, promise.

On the subject of Australian Hops I've just done my first brew with new season POR flowers. Opened the foil and nearly buckled at the knees :icon_drool2: Nothing like the old stuff we used to get - I used to be convinced that POR should be brown.

Aussie Pale, for a comp. The idea of the comp is Aussie Pale with a twist, my twist is to up the malt aroma compared to say a Coopers Sparkling.

5000g BB Ale
500 Munich 2
100 Dark Crystal
100 Wheat Malt
100 Melanoidin

90 min 64 degrees

30g POR 90 mins
500g da local sugaz

Coopers Recultured from 2 tallies. Hic. I intend to ferment at 18 to push the pears. No pear juice in this one, don't worry Ross :icon_cheers:

I just bought a heap of POR flowers....... all i can say on your comments is YES YES YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! :)

Im going to say i recon the malt bill for the beer is a bit complicated for an aussie pale as well. Aussie beer............ simple is best!

I scored 127/150 with just 95% JW ale, 5% JW wheat and POR at FWH and 45 min in a 75 min boil. Single infusion at 66 deg and used 1318 @ 19 deg. Thats all. JUdging comments said it needed a bit more hops and recon i could have got 130 scores with 1/2g per liter of cluster at 5 min from end.

Hell, i encourage experimenting but i bet there arnt many ausseie pale ales out there with munich 2, melanoiden and dark crystal in them.

The best i have made are 100% ale malt, bittering and a bit or hops in the end, just enough for some character but not over the top.

Simple beers! But if made well can be so wonderful!

cheers

So;

6kg Halcyon - don't know what Halcyon does - but it smells maris otter with more fruity/citrus when a few grains/husks are brewed as a tea -snip- bollox that's bullshit, i can't smell a difference now... might brew metallic? Dunno...
400g Caraaroma
400g Carared - i liked these! kind of traditional... ...for a pom...
Bitter with Warrior (pellets), but not much bitter this time - maybe 10% push of my 50IBU target,
Taste with NZ Goldings - now you'll see my hop addiction - I'll start adding at maybe 60 minutes and then at 5 minute intervals...
Smell and salivate with the new NZ Goldings (they smell ACE!!)
Might include steeped Chocolate to augment/bring out the Goldings but I don't know what I'm talking about so... I'll let you know...

Sunday. English Bitter Day.

Was having a chat with Mr Beer (Barry Cranston) on the Sydney Pub Crawl. Barry was telling me how he has been thinking a lot lately about brewing unique Australian styles, like the Americans have done... So in that train of thought, along with a bit of collaboration with Uncle Les, and a big sniff of the first bag of Topaz to hit the Hunter, decided to brew an Imperial Aussie Pilsener.

I just filtered and kegged my Aussie wheat beer this arvo. Used aussie wheat malt and NZ hops.

Smells and tastes fantastic!

I also have some Topaz, and im planning an Aussie IPA with it, mixed with some Aussie Cluster and NZ hallrrtau aroma flowers.

Y.U.M. Cant wait.

PS........ schooey and les.............. I racked my Chippotle ale last night to let it clear at low temp while im in PNG for a while, and it is so close to the Rogue beer its not funny. Id almost say better but its not bottled yet.

cheers

Is it as cloyingly sweet as the Rogue beer? I really didn't enjoy it.... If you were going to put chilli in your beer, I think they got the amount right, but I thought the malt sweetness was OTT... Just my opinion. I think it needed more balance to make it a great beer

Mine has less malt sweetness and is hopped with SAAZ which really smothes it out. I fermented it with 1272 so its well attenuated.

I will be bottling it when i get back from work in PNG and will save you a bottle mate. Would like your opinion on it.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back