What are you Brewing - 2018

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First brew day of the year. Triple batch:

54% pale and pilsner
38% malted wheat, flaked wheat and spelt
8% vienna

Mashed at 63C for 2 hours and run off super slowly.

5 IBU of Saaz FWH. OG 1.040

1) ferment with 3711 then onto a bacteria cake for the year
2) 50g styrian holdings in the cube and a blend of 3711/3724/3739/some other yeast
3) 25g galaxy in cube. 2565.

Nice clear wort on the helles
received_10212997500984686.jpeg

^ sexy!!

how many grams of Simcoe into the Whirlpool to get the 50ibu?

can't wait!

it was 100gms for 25mins to make about 49.7 odd (for my 23L batch) so i rounded it up :)

i'm considering shortening the whirlpool though and just adding another 30 or 40gms. thoughts?

Last edited:
I actually have this on my list also and interested how much hops you used for the whirlpool . Looks a tasty brew

about 100gm of simcoe in the whirlpool mate. aim for 45-50 ibu was what the golden road brewer suggested.

Nice clear wort on the helles View attachment 110901
What are you using to brew, I BIAB in a crown urn and even after whirlfloc, whirlpooling and resting I can't get my wort that clear! I know clear wort isn't there be all and end all but it would be nice to be able to create wort that clear if I wanted to [emoji23]

can't wait!

it was 100gms for 25mins to make about 49.7 odd (for my 23L batch) so i rounded it up :)

i'm considering shortening the whirlpool though and just adding another 30 or 40gms. thoughts?

did you lower temp forwhirlpool or just added hops at flameout?

What are you using to brew, I BIAB in a crown urn and even after whirlfloc, whirlpooling and resting I can't get my wort that clear! I know clear wort isn't there be all and end all but it would be nice to be able to create wort that clear if I wanted to [emoji23]
it's a grainfather. but like fletcher says, it's all an illusion. the moment you lift the grain basket it goes cloudy again. I have tried gently pumping out the clear wort while sparging but it's not worth it. I sieve out the grain bits with a sieve during the boil.

hey Coodgee,

I like a good helles, interested to know what pH you mashed with and also, do you get some hop aroma from that 5min addition?

can't wait!

Hey mate on my Beer smith i calcluated 225g of simcoe for 30mins WP for a 50ibu. its set at WP utilization of 15%. what did you calculate yours on?

You should have started the thread. What is dan not brewing in 2018 lol. Would have been a shorter list mate. Hope your getting use out of your grain from the pick up. Wouldn't mind tasting your new stuff soon

Brewing again....This beer is a little out of the box for style, making a Black hefeweizen by adding Chocolate Wheat malt to the mash out only.

Going to also add 5g/L of Dextrose to the boil and ferment at 22c to push that banana aroma.

165 - Black Hefeweizen 1

OG 1.042
FG 1.006
ABV 4.8%
IBU 12.5
EBC 52
Vol 20L
Eff 80% +

46% Wheat Malt
32% Vienna or if i have some Munich ;-)
11% Rolled Oats

Mashed at 63c for 90mins - target pH is 5.6. Adding some Calcium Chloride to get 90ppm Chloride
8% Chocolate Wheat @ Mash out

60 minute boil using magnum for bittering
3% Dextrose @ 5m of boil

Fermented with M20 Mangroves Bavarian yeast @ 22c

:noworries:

Brewing again....This beer is a little out of the box for style, making a Black hefeweizen by adding Chocolate Wheat malt to the mash out only.

Going to also add 5g/L of Dextrose to the boil and ferment at 22c to push that banana aroma.

165 - Black Hefeweizen 1

OG 1.042
FG 1.006
ABV 4.8%
IBU 12.5
EBC 52
Vol 20L
Eff 80% +

46% Wheat Malt
32% Vienna or if i have some Munich ;-)
11% Rolled Oats

Mashed at 63c for 90mins - target pH is 5.6. Adding some Calcium Chloride to get 90ppm Chloride
8% Chocolate Wheat @ Mash out

60 minute boil using magnum for bittering
3% Dextrose @ 5m of boil

Fermented with M20 Mangroves Bavarian yeast @ 22c

:noworries:

I look forwarded to trying it mate. We need to get some serious brewing done this month.

did you lower temp forwhirlpool or just added hops at flameout?

i normally vary and haven’t decided which i like best yet, but for this brew (haven’t done yet) i’ll keep the temp as is. i’ll re-brew it another time and lower temps and compare only ‘technically’ that would reduce the ibu

Hey mate on my Beer smith i calcluated 225g of simcoe for 30mins WP for a 50ibu. its set at WP utilization of 15%. what did you calculate yours on?

oh right. i haven’t dropped the utilisation on mine though - did you do that because you drop the temps? for this beer i wasn’t going to drop temp on whirlpool. having said that, the temp would slowly drop over that 25-30 mins but i haven’t really factored that into hop utilisation

You should have started the thread. What is dan not brewing in 2018 lol. Would have been a shorter list mate. Hope your getting use out of your grain from the pick up. Wouldn't mind tasting your new stuff soon

haha amen! don’t you have little ones running round too mate? i need your tips. i’m lucky to get one done every few months

haha amen! don’t you have little ones running round too mate? i need your tips. i’m lucky to get one done every few months

I found myself short of time so last year I moved to a triple batch system and for an extra 30 odd minutes I get 3x 20L cubes (or 4x 15L). I kept my crown urn and use that as an HLT. With cube hopping and different yeasts you can get nice variation; I've also steeped some spec malt on the stove, given it a short boil and have added directly to the cube.

For example, I did a 85% Maris, 10% supernova, 5% torrified wheat batch. 15 IBU of EKG at the start of the boil. Cube 1 got challenger and WLP013 and became an English Bitter. Cube 2 got a touch of gypsum, citra and mosaic and 001 for an APA. Cube 3 got no extra hops and got a blend of Belgian yeasts, Brett, bacteria, bottle dregs and oak dominoes and will be a red sour (only 5 months in so far).

oh right. i haven’t dropped the utilisation on mine though - did you do that because you drop the temps? for this beer i wasn’t going to drop temp on whirlpool. having said that, the temp would slowly drop over that 25-30 mins but i haven’t really factored that into hop utilisation

Beersmith says 50% for WP at >90c however the ibu contribution I perceive is way less so I run at 15%.

usually WP at 90-95c for 20mins before chilling, when I drop the temp to 75c I remove the alpha acid % from the software to get no additional ibu calculated which seems bang on for my pallets perception.

Style: Munich Helles
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
------------
30.00 l Distilled Water
4.00 ml Lactic Acid
3.50 g Calcium Chloride
2.00 g Gypsum
5.00 kg Pilsner Ger (2.5 EBC)

mash Schedule: 55/20,60/30,65/20,70/30,76/10.

Hey coodgee,
Distilled water and that much lactic? I havent run it through software, but what was your mash pH? It just seem like a lot of lactic. Or is the 4ml split between mash and sparge?

Back