What Are The Worst Labels You've Ever Had To Remove?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollave

Reaction score
Recently a mate introduced me to Bullmers cider. Nice drop, and nice 500ml heavy brown glass bottles with a non-screw crown top and no branding/logo/whatnot on the bottle itself. So, perfect? Nope: even after soaking these bottles need a require a paint scraper with a razor blade to get the labels off. :angry: (OK, it's a one time job, but still -- what were they thinking when they chose the label glue?)

Anyone met anything this bad before? (I'm pretty sure nothing could be worse, but you tell me ...)

Whiteshield and Deuchars

ED: and those Italian swingtops, squat bottle and a long skinny neck. Paper label with solvent based adhesive.

Grand Ridge brewery...pretty much anything.
Their labels have like a silver backing, not sure what that means, but it seems the only way to peel them off is brute force, as no sort of cleaning products seem do jack against their adhesive power!

Edit: yeah, i'm gonna leave that unchanged just to reiterate the fact that i've had a few...

Murray's and Schwartz.

I used to try, now I can't be bothered, I just chuck them.

QUOTE (kevo @ May 7 2009, 09:55 PM)
Murray's and Schwartz.

I used to try, now I can't be bothered, I just chuck them.

Are you saying you get rid of them because you can't get the label off?

Yep, I think I may have some variety of undiagnosed autism and I like all the labels off all of my bottles.

Can't tell you why.

I do recycle them though.

Most German beers behave well - the germans seem to have it figured out.
Most English beers behave badly; all sorts of different and really stubborn labels (goes with all the silly names)

But far and away the worst were the painted bottles of Redback. That just doesn't come off. I was determined - tried concentrated acid and heat and everything, but only ended up with broken half-melted glass. With the label still on.

Yeah, I take the labels off - I think they look cleaner/neater that way. I'm a bit anally retentive :huh:

Read somewhere the best way to get a label off a printed bottle like a Redback was with a hammer.

You guys bother to remove the labels?

That would have been my question.

If you have your own swanky designed labels or maybe for a competition (don't know, never entered one) then maybe, but I have bottles over two years old with coopers labels on, I have my Dad's old bottles with labels my brother and I designed for him still on (about 20 years ago or more) and occasionally I go so far as to put a bit of masking tape with texta over the top to distinguish the stout from the Belgian dark (usually only when giving them away).

You should just scrub it all out with a permanent marker.

guys sticky labels are hell easy to remove.

go to woolies or coles, look for 'orange power' - it is an alcohol based cleaner with orange oil in it. orange oil, for some reason, degums adhesive labels like all hell.. cover the label so it soaks thru... wait..label falls off..

i use it all the time for label removing

cheers

Napisan - Soak!

Days I tells ya....

:)
I've got a few soaking now. Was thinking after 24 hours they'd have come loose if they were going to, but I'll leave 'em longer. Procrastination a specialty!

Thanks!

Grand Ridge brewery...pretty much anything.
Their labels have like a silver backing, not sure what that means, but it seems the only way to peel them off is brute force, as no sort of cleaning products seem do jack against their adhesive power!

+1

Grand Ridge labels are descendents of satan. I don't think orange power would get these suckers off the bottle (but might have to try) - have tried the 1-2hr soak in napisan and they won't budge. Even where you get them off forcefully they've got a bunch of thick glue adhesive that hangs on and drives you loco.

Hopper.

O,

All will be 'stripped' - Just leave 'em soak!

Seriously, I use to have a tub, 20L, and put the bottles into it, filled with HOT water @ the start - With napisan! Heaps of the shit..

Leave it and watch - than after a couple of days the labels would be floating on top - NOT ALL - but some so find those bottles and rinse accordingly! REPEAT! Till All bottle are stripped!

Just keep adding different bottles if you are still building the 'Bottle Bank' and so on..

If you get 'Label Glue' dramas try a green scourer...

BTW - This 20L of napisan'ed up water should strip about 8-14 slabs!

2c.
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back