What A Load Of Bollocks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Was just in the bookshop and noticed the aboved mentioned book "Beer (slabs, stubbies and six-packs)"
I had a quick flick through it and what a load of crap. Looks like anyone is allowed to write a book these days.

Under the chapter Weirdo Beers are James Squire Pilsner, Leffe Bruin, Aventinus etc. While I agree to session beer drinkers Aventinus is nothing like VB labeling JS Pils as weirdo just goes too far.

Obviously it hasn't hit the best seller list at Dymocks as they have already discounted it.

There is a small blurb about it on this handheld SMH page.

Buyer beware

Doc

whoa, Doc - that's a tough rap from someone who hasn't read it...

I got the book for Fathers Day and found it an enjoyable read. Like you, I don't agree with a few of their assessments, but on the whole I found it quite funny and generally informative. Although, they're a bit hypocritical when they slander wine buffs, then describe beer flavours like they've been to wine-poof talk school themselves!

- Snow.

One of the authors was interviewed on Wollongong radio last week. I swear he has done little more research than buying heaps of different beers from Theos, Vintage Cellars and so on then drank them and wanked on about them. I almost called in when he suggested it would be a good idea to use the internet to discuss beer. Apart from these fine boards, there are so many resources that we all know about so I won't go on.... he also said his favourite Aus beer of all time is Cascade Pale Ale. I have no idea what he's on about. His palate sucks.

Doc,

I'm with Snow on this one. It's not a bad read and is targeted firmly at the 'average Aussie' beer drinker who is looking beyond New, Black and VB, and to them I'd reckon Aventinus would very much be a weirdo beer. The thought of my father in law's reaction to anything more exciting than a Carlton Cold makes me realise how parochial many people are with their beers, something this book attempts to address in a limited way.

They obviously are going to make judgements that we'll disagree with - the nature of subjectivity. If we are ever going to get people to think of beer as worth as much attention as wine, and if we're ever going to get Aussies to broaden their horizons beyond whatever their state's megabrewery supplies, then easy reading approachable books like these are a worthwhile step in the right direction IMO.

Mind you, the description of JS Pilsner as a 'weirdo beer' seems way over the top. My 2 cents...

Shawn.

One of their quotes is;

The sight of the spent yeast settled on the side of the bottle is a sign of quality.

I've had two infected brews and they had spent yeast settled on the bottom of the bottle......Gees they must have been quality infections!!

Back