Weyermann Munich I - Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you don't want to mash, just steep the grains?

If you can steep your specialty grains at mashing temps for ~60 mins then Munich will self convert and there's no reason you can't try to mash 300g of it.

If you can steep your specialty grains at mashing temps for ~60 mins then Munich will self convert and there's no reason you can't try to mash 300g of it.

As the recipe formulator you have to use munich, there is no substitute for it. ;) Caraamber is a crystal malt and wont have the same flavour on the palate. If anything i would not use munich rather than substitute. Basically if you can do a extended steep period (which is all that mashing is anyway) as noted by felten the beer will be better for it.

Also, if you want this to be true to their recipe. Replace the munich with vienna. :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys. Will try the mash.
I had the IPA at the MG brewery the other week... was awesome...
The stout filtered through the coffee beans to was great.

As the recipe formulator you have to use munich, there is no substitute for it. ;) Caraamber is a crystal malt and wont have the same flavour on the palate. If anything i would not use munich rather than substitute. Basically if you can do a extended steep period (which is all that mashing is anyway) as noted by felten the beer will be better for it.

Also, if you want this to be true to their recipe. Replace the munich with vienna. :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys. Will try the mash.
I had the IPA at the MG brewery the other week... was awesome...
The stout filtered through the coffee beans to was great.

yeah its not difficult, if you can steep, you can mash! :beerbang:

A little tip, start the infusion at 65 deg. You can even put it on the stovetop and stir it until you get to your desired temperature if you miss it on dough in. To hold it at temperature you can put your pot into a preheated oven at 100deg which is turned off as soon as you put your pot in. The residual heat in the oven will hold it in the mid 60's for the hour of conversion. :icon_cheers:

Thanks fourstar, was just about to ask along those lines...
Do I need to bring it up to 78 once for 'mash out'?
Was going to include the Caramunich II to in there as well.
Edit: Voile will be ok in there?

yeah its not difficult, if you can steep, you can mash! :beerbang:

A little tip, start the infusion at 65 deg. You can even put it on the stovetop and stir it until you get to your desired temperature if you miss it on dough in. To hold it at temperature you can put your pot into a preheated oven at 100deg which is turned off as soon as you put your pot in. The residual heat in the oven will hold it in the mid 60's for the hour of conversion. :icon_cheers:

If you don't have voile, even a seive would be OK for such small quantities.

It's cool. I've got voile which I've been using for steeping.
I was wondering if it would be ok in the oven as per fourstars advice.
I think it should be ok if I close the voile over the grain and then just put the lid on.

If you don't have voile, even a seive would be OK for such small quantities.

It's cool. I've got voile which I've been using for steeping.
I was wondering if it would be ok in the oven as per fourstars advice.
I think it should be ok if I close the voile over the grain and then just put the lid on.

yep, she will be fine. thats what i used todo in my old extract days. :icon_cheers:

no need ofr mashout.

Back