Welding Courses (Melbourne)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grott said:
I note there is trend towards teaching yourself to weld particularly with mig. This is fine as long as it is not structural/load bearing. As a qualified welder it frightens me when people get a welder and build things like car ramps, trailers, trusses etc. Remember you are not just potentially risking yourself but others, your kids etc. Trust me, a weld can look bloody good but it can be very weak through lack of penetration or porosity or severe undercut and so on. If not a course, learn from someone that can weld or at the least get your welds checked.
Not to mention pressure rated vessels.

grott said:
I note there is trend towards teaching yourself to weld particularly with mig. This is fine as long as it is not structural/load bearing. As a qualified welder it frightens me when people get a welder and build things like car ramps, trailers, trusses etc. Remember you are not just potentially risking yourself but others, your kids etc. Trust me, a weld can look bloody good but it can be very weak through lack of penetration or porosity or severe undercut and so on. If not a course, learn from someone that can weld or at the least get your welds checked.
Totally a concern of mine as well. I mean I'm not looking to make a bridge or anything (hell, nothing even like the examples given), but I want to know if I make, say, a brew stand, it's gonna hold the 50+KGs, and not fall apart on me. Sure Youtube can show me a little, but it's no replacement from first hand working with someone to show you the rights and wrongs.

What I learnt from when I was researching what welder to buy for my project was that with Mig it's harder to tell a strong bond than with Arc. Ie: You can make a good looking weld in Mig but it will fall apart under pressure much more easy than a good looking weld you made with Arc. Mig is also much better for welding thinner metals and alloys and arc is better for thicker (4mm+) ferrous steel.

I just jump up and down on it a few times, if it doesn't break then it's structural...

idzy said:
I just jump up and down on it a few times, if it doesn't break then it's structural...
Structural? That'd be cyclone rated big fella!

Back