Weizendunkel Bier, Bulk Prime Querie...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
hey all,

planning a brew to get something like the Franziskaner hefe weissen dunkel. so far the shopping list is as follows:

- 2kg
Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
- 1kg Light DME
- 0.5kg Caramunich I
- 0.3kg Dark Crystal
- 30g hallertau hersbrucker hop pallets @60mins
- Wyeast 3068

Extract beer designer spreadsheet calcs:

OG 1055 FG 1014 IBU 14.1 EBC 28.4
These match the Dunkelweizen style on the graph

in this bulk prime calc, http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/AlcoholCh...Calculator.html, it suggest for a weizen/weissbier the volume of CO2 is 3.6-4.5, so that is 250g of dex added for the prime. does that seem a bit much? I dont want any bottle bombs :S

any feedback is a appreciated :)
<h3 class="r">
</h3>

hey all,

planning a brew to get something like the Franziskaner hefe weissen dunkel. so far the shopping list is as follows:

- 2kg
Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
- 1kg Light DME
- 0.5kg Caramunich I
- 0.3kg Dark Crystal
- 30g hallertau hersbrucker hop pallets @60mins
- Wyeast 3068

Extract beer designer spreadsheet calcs:

OG 1055 FG 1014 IBU 14.1 EBC 28.4
These match the Dunkelweizen style on the graph

in this bulk prime calc, http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/AlcoholCh...Calculator.html, it suggest for a weizen/weissbier the volume of CO2 is 3.6-4.5, so that is 250g of dex added for the prime. does that seem a bit much? I dont want any bottle bombs :S

any feedback is a appreciated :)
<h3 class="r">
</h3>

I did an extract Hefeweizen last year and bulked primed with a bit more than 250g of dex from memory.

No bottle bombs, still have a few of them and no probs yet.

Would absolutely make sure it is fully fermented out before bottling and only use bottles that are in tip top condition.

Was carbonated to style and gave a nice fine bead on the head thanks to the dex.

Good luck

Rick

I did an extract Hefeweizen last year and bulked primed with a bit more than 250g of dex from memory.

No bottle bombs, still have a few of them and no probs yet.

Would absolutely make sure it is fully fermented out before bottling and only use bottles that are in tip top condition.

Was carbonated to style and gave a nice fine bead on the head thanks to the dex.

Good luck

Rick

thanks rick,

am i using the ingredients to get that bavarian flavour?

thanks rick,

am i using the ingredients to get that bavarian flavour?

I've never brewed a Dunkel (it's on the list now).

But I would probably drop the light DME, up the wheat DME (should be atleast 50% of the malt bill) and mini-mash some Munich, Caramunich, and a touch of chocolate for colour.

Most of the flavour should be malt and yeast driven.

Most important thing is to just have a crack, see how it turns out and adjust it for next time until you get something your happy with.

Cheers

Rick

250g of dex doesn't sound completely over the top. I typically use 140-160g depending on the level of carb I want which is usually less than a hefe - and you'd want yours to carb while still fresh, so a little more is probably warranted.
I dont use the calcs; more of a gut feel as it depends on the yeast and time somewhat.

Back