Weird Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
so i recently brewed a fat tire ale clone (recipe below)
and it tasted nice sweet and a bit biscuity after only one week and very promising, now on 2 weeks the seet flavour has gone and this new weird flavour has emerged anyone know what this could be this has happened to me before aswell... Its just i assumed that the crystal malts give a sweet flavour which they do early on then its changing into this weird flavour just wondering if anyone can help or has similiar experience or is this normal???

Fat Tire Clone (FE09) (20L) (Irish Red)

2.5kg LME
250g CaraHell
250g Cara JW
250g CaraPils
250g Munich JW
250g Amber Malt JW
50g Carafa Special I

20g Goldings @60mins
20g Goldings @30mins
20g Goldings @10mins

IBU 18- 30 was no chilled

Yeast: SafaleUS-05

OG:1.050
FG:1.013
ABV 5.2%

You will need to be a bit more specific than weird if you want real answers.

cheers

Browndog

"Weird" flavour could be anything. It could be sour, acidic, yeasty, vegemitey, vegetably, sulfurry, fruity, spicy, rubbery, mediciney, anything. Each one can be something different.

I thought this seemed familiar: You asked a similar question here (and I said basically the same thing), we can't help you without any more information.

"Weird" flavour could be anything. It could be sour, acidic, yeasty, vegemitey, vegetably, sulfurry, fruity, spicy, rubbery, mediciney, anything. Each one can be something different.

I thought this seemed familiar: You asked a similar question here (and I said basically the same thing), we can't help you without any more information.

yer sorry i seem to keep having this problem and i still cant describe the flavour and its really annoying me perhaps i'll get some mates over tomorrow to help me descibe it

it could be possibly vegimity which i know is autalisis but wouldn't that have showed up at my initial taste if it was autalisis?

If you have a LHBS with knowledgable staff or know any experienced brewers, best to ask them.

sweet....kinda like butterscotch or caramel? if thats the case diaceytal is your problem...

cocko brought rought his snpa clone the other day and it had that in it. he thought it was just sweet from crystal and caramalt too...send me a bottle, i'll taste it for ya.

sweet....kinda like butterscotch or caramel? if thats the case diaceytal is your problem...

cocko brought rought his snpa clone the other day and it had that in it. he thought it was just sweet from crystal and caramalt too...send me a bottle, i'll taste it for ya.

Yeah, I didn't mind the taste until fents pointed it out and now its all I can taste in this batch! :angry:

Thanks fents ya *******!! ;)

will do
cheers

ps. if it is diecytle then i actually like that taste haha

yea some people dont mind it...its even acceptable in some styles of beer.

check your PM's.

Latest posts

Back