Wb-06 Yeast Made A Huge Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Juzdo. I made this same recipe but fermented it at 18C. Turned out a very nice beer but drank best between a fortnight and a month. After that it started to lose character. Had a bottle left at 6 months and it was like water. Really have to drink this young. You've got me interested in WB's again. Going to have a play around again.
Thanks for the post, I really appreciate it when people post actual experiences rather than just theory/hearsay.

I had originally read that fermenting a wheat at 24 would give more of an authentic weisen flavour, but went on to read so much more about that being too high a temp to ferment at that I chickened out, ended up doing it at around 20-21. Mind you I didn't have a fermentation fridge back then, so didn't have an easy way to mod the temps regardless. Now my stc-1000 is up and running I have a lot more control.

Very interesting that the weisen is best drunk between 2-4 weeks, that's a very short timeframe for the two wheat beers I knocked out as my first two brews! Need to find some mates...Oh, also, do you mean 2-4 weeks after bottling? Or 2-4 weeks after a couple of weeks of bottle conditioning? I've moved my first wheat beer into the fridge on the weekend (it had 2 weeks of bottle conditioning at around 20 degrees), but still have my 2nd wheat beer in the cupboard as its only been in the bottle for a week now.

I'm assuming this means that samples taken for gravity readings were also tasted for flavor. I always taste my gravity samples to see how the beer is progressing.

I've used WB-06, too. I found it amazing. That was my first and only wheat beer, though. I've moved of to focus on A.G. IPAs.

I plan on 'going back to basics' so they say, and dumping some wheat DME + pale DME together with about a 1kg bag of munich on the side.

Anyone tried Burleigh Heads Hef?
I'm looking for a massive hit of banana. Can anyone recommend which to go with? WB-06, WY 3333, WY 3068 or a WLP strain?

Tarmael,

Burleigh, I believe, use WY3068. Like Nick, we prefer to use WY1214 in our Heffe. Our Bacchus Brewing Co. "Belgian Heffe" just took out 2nd place ahead of Burleigh in The Royal Queensland Show beer awards.

Cheers Ross

When I open my fermenting fridge atm the whole laundry smells just like banana cake. Got a Chimay Cinq Cents clone in there in secondary and tbh, I think it's actually getting more bananery. 1214 FTW!

Currently brewing a "Ardennes Wit" using La Chouffe bottle yeast (3522 aparently) and by the smell of the starter it would also make a supurb hefe yeast (probably better suited to hefe than wit as it's more estery than spicy at current GC room temp).

I reckon Coopers bottle yeast at 25C could make a beer that wasn't out of style for a Saison. Pears, bananas and dry.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='972652' date='Nov 18 2012, 09:44 PM']I think you mean 6 million cells/ml. 6 billion would be off the chain.[/quote]

Ha, yeah you're right, that's what I meant. I just confuzzled myself with all the zeros. Those extra 3 zeros make a huge difference :p

I'm assuming this means that samples taken for gravity readings were also tasted for flavor. I always taste my gravity samples to see how the beer is progressing.

Yeah this is what i meant. How can you not taste?? haha

I decided to take a swing at my 2nd wheat beer, despite having only bottled it Monday night. This beer was done using the Thomas Coopers Wheat kit, with 500gm LDME, 300gm Dex, WB-06 yeast into 18 litres to give me a 4.9 abv.

My first wheat was the same TC Wheat kit, but with nothing other than 1kg of dex and the kit yeast into 23 litres. Both beers were bottled using carb drops.

This beer is wildly different to the first. I quite like the first, but it's obviously pretty bland, easy to quaff but with no standout features. This Weisen is much truer to the style I know, the WB-06 has given it a real Schfferhofer taste and aroma, lots of body in the mouth with a completely different after-taste. Hugely impressed, and it's only been in the bottle for 5 days (it's fully carbonated already...I dunno why everyone complains about carb drops, they worked fine for me). Looking forward to trying another next week and the week after before getting stuck in.

Oh, both beers were fermented around 21 degrees over about 8 days.

That's good to know Juzdu, I'd never used the WB-06 yeast until recently and I'm yet to try the beer. Mine is a Mangrove Jack, Bavarian Wheat, with 1 kg dme, 200g dex and Hersbrucker hops.

Might just have to give it a sample........... :icon_drunk:

[quote name='O'Henry' post='972652' date='Nov 18 2012, 08:44 PM']I think you mean 6 million cells/ml. 6 billion would be off the chain.[/quote]

It's 6 billion cells/gram is correct

Latest posts

Back