Water Skiing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a family boat as my boys get older we can get out on the water for some good family times.

Does anybody on here enjoy water skiing / wake boarding?

Do you find it an enjoyable family time?

Do you get the use out of your boats?

any other thoughts on the idea.

The boat im looking at is a savage electra V8 inboard thta needs a little internal tailoring.

Kleiny

whilst i dont ski at all i try and fish as much as possible. have a 4.8m half cabin boat with a suzi 60 on the back and a evinrude 6hp for aux.

boats are like cars if you dont buy a new one they can be money pits. the hardest bit i find is when something breaks is getting motivated to fix it. but when you get out on the water it is great fun. reg is cheap and its relitivly easy to get your license. if you can afford it i'd say go for it.

I've never owned a ski boat but I did spend a great many summers at mate's family holiday house on Lake Eildon making good use of theirs. They were forever using it and seemed to get more than their money's worth out of it but I suspect that had they not had a place to stay up there for a couple weeks or long weekends or whatever they might not have bothered with the boat. Something to consider perhaps if your situation will be mostly day trips or something.

But yeah, water skiing is awesome fun. Your boys'll be into it for sure. Jesus, even biscuits are pretty fun.

I'm with bum on this. I Love messing around in boats but they can be pretty expensive pieces of driveway furniture if they're not an easy and predictable part of your lifestyle.

All of the best boats I've had (ie the most used and enjoyed) have not needed any work, and were either already in the water or very close to it. Otherwise they just sit around and gather leaves.

Cheers

Grant

I used to go waterskiing every holiday (except winter) from when i was around 8-16 yo. When you become a teenager the idea of spending 2 weeks out in Alexandra isnt always your idea of 'fun' but getting out onto the lake going for a ski was tops! From what i remember, we where always getting our boat fixed but i can say the time spent was a hell of alot of fun.

Kleiny
It is a great family thing to do mate - but as others say, careful with what you buy, as they can be pretty maintenance intensive. if you're mechanically inclined - not too bad though. I use to teach waterskiing at a resort in Canada way back when I was young and fit, and the number of families that came out, all had a blast. top idea

you will get to hang out with heaps of bogan liberal voters

Kleiny

Ive been skiing for about 20 years Its a great family sport my kids have grown up skiing and they love it.
Once they get to the age where they can observe you really dont need anyone else. So it makes it easy for the family to go out
or invite friends out. Winter can be a slow time but if you get some good wet suits you can still have fun. Winter is when the water is best, less
boats around and the water is flat. Wakeboarding is fun for the young ones I havent mastered that yet!!. And what can I say about boats!!!
I have a V8 and its great, keep vigilant with the maintance and you'll have less problems but as you'll find out nothing is cheap with boats!!
I just took my son out yesterday with some of his friends for his birthday and it was a great day. One more thing you must be vigilant with safety I
have seen some accidents through stupidity.

Good luck with it Im sure you'll enjoy it for years

BS

First thing I will say is BE BLOODY CAREFUL! Having seen my brother very nearly killed by a ski boat and missed getting hit only because the guy on the biscuit had enough brains to bail off they can easily lead to nasy accidents.

Other than that provided you have other freinds/family who go skiing it can be great fun. Boat maintenance is a big issue - but typically only an issue when the boat has sat around over winter and not properly serviced before the season.
Remember there is also the cost of wetsuits, ski's, biscuits, kneeboads, aquaboads, wakeboards, lifejackets etc. Skiers insurance is also a good thing to have.

If you dont "just" want to go skiing and want to be able to use the boat for fishing then a good sized runabout with a decent motor might be a better option than a dedicated ski boat. You can always change to a different prop pitch to get your skiers on the water.

Personally I wouldnt be buying a new boat - but I would also be avoiding older boats. Something fairly new where the family either has grown out of skiing or purchased a newer / faster boat would be the type of thing I'd be after. Other wise you could be just buying someone elses issue.

Water skiing is the best. Did it for years at Hindmarsh Island and Walker Flat.
The easiest boats to ski with and maintain all had Holden V8's (253 and 308). Loads of torque were you need it and were never highly modified (only marinised, extractors and K+N air filter) Weren't as high pitched or stinky as a two stroke and parts and repairs were cheap and easy.
Go for it whilst there's still petrol to be bought!

tdh

I learnt to ski on a friends boat when I was younger. I found it ok, but didn't keep doing it as I didn't find it too appealing, so I went to go karts instead and had a blast. What I'm saying is before you out lay all your money on the equipement you need to be sure your family is into water skiing. Your post doesn't make any mention of previous ski trips using a family or friends boat or going to a cable ski place.

yep

fair call dave

we have used friends boats before just myself as a motor nut (want to drive everything) go kart would be awesome too

the difference is that a go kart give 1 or 2 members of teh family fun but a a boat involves everybody and the family love the water and go karts dont go so well in a lake.

Kleiny

i sit next to a guy at work who owns a ski boat in a 2 share arrangement
it's oldish and runs a 454 motor... pretty reliable when maintained and good supply of spares

it's not cheap though, boat bits cost a lot and fuel on his boat ends up at $150+ for a day of skiing

he skis mostly on the barwon river and around portland

all that aside, he loves it and heads out at every chance with partner and friends

yep

fair call dave

we have used friends boats before just myself as a motor nut (want to drive everything) go kart would be awesome too

the difference is that a go kart give 1 or 2 members of teh family fun but a a boat involves everybody and the family love the water and go karts dont go so well in a lake.

Kleiny
I wasn't recommending go karts as they cost a mint too (if you want to be competitive). Just saying make sure the skiing isn't going to be a short term thing due to the investment involved. I'll let the others advise on the in's and out's of boats as I know little about them. But I still like the odd trip on the skis no matter how gumby I am :lol:

I only Ski occassionally, but the bro's a pretty skier/wake boarder and my Pa used to be right into it. As you say, something that the whole family can get into. See quite a few V8 boats around, but I've only seen a couple that will turn up every time and run properly and that's probably down to the older motor's requiring a bit more attention than what their owners are giving them. I really can't see why you'd have that much trouble with them as long as you start with a resonable unit. All the V8's go well once they're running, no doubt about that.
My Brother bought his boat to be multipurpose though and originally bought a boat for diving, just that the skiing has become easier to do than finding a diving partener. He's got a 90hp Merc (budget a $100/hp for new) on the back of a 16-17ft Fibreglass boat which has a pretty big beam and really I don't think you'd want much less than that. We've skiied for most of the day and managed to chew up 2 (20lt) tanks, but that's wakeboarding and single skiing. The 90's fine for Wakeboarding, though some fat sacs in the back to kick up the wake would be great, but require more grunt of course, we've had sand bags and it was OK, but not fantastic, that's where a dedicated boat would be better. For the single skiier it works fairly well pulling you up and by the time you're up to speed it's pulling a few revs, but then my Bro's not a huge guy. If you're 6ft and 110kgs, you might slow it down a bit.
I've been told not to bother with jet boats. You need a prop in the water for hard turns otherwise the skiier will pull the boat around. Mind you, I saw a jet ski out last time that didn't seem to be doing too bad, but then they're not cheaper either.
I think a V8 inboard would be a nice thing, but like other have suggested, you'd need to be pretty serious about it before you went and propped the money for a boat that could be only used for skiing.
If you're close to a nice skii lake (1/2hr or so) you'll find the time to get out there. We've found that generally when we want to go skiing as a family it's on the long weekend's and every man and his dog are at the same lake and you'll always find a couple of guys that need to be talked to as they're not following the direction rules, but even if they're all behaving nicely, unless it's a huge lake, you'll get cross chop and that gets old quickly, works you pretty hard.
My brother doesn't get out with his boat much now (un-reliable skiing parteners, almost as bad as trying to find diving buddies) and since they've closed down the local skii beach, it has ruined it a bit for him, otherwise he was getting home from work and going skiing every night, but you need someone who's on the same schedule as you. So you can get pretty good use out of the boat, but as others have mentioend, it's mostly for the summer only.
The equipment costs are up there, but not as bad as some hobbies can be, and unless you're chasing the latest and greatest they'll last a long time. We've got some old wooden ski's for the noobs, and old finned board for the noob wakeboarders (me) while my brother has a muh sharper unit and then we've got some quite old, but still in real good condition single ski's. PFD's are a must, and a little pricey, but again last well if looked after. Ski ropes are really the only expendable and hardly a bank buster.
A bit of planning and thought up front and you can get a lot of enjoyment for a modest input and young or old I think the kids will get a lot of enjoyment out of it, you'll probably end up with a lot of hangers on in the years to come.
Bit of a long winded post, but tried to answer all your questions.

I water skied every weekend of my life, rain hail or shine(and holidays) since the age of four. It's a fantastic sport and keeps you fit! As others have said there are idiots on the river. I was fortune enough to have experienced drivers and observers and we saw no trouble except a couple of bruises and my brother broke his nose. That was him doing a trick though. Best ski was always 6.30 in the morning. Like glass! Funny thing is Im going skiing this weekend first time since I was 18! I wonder if I can still do a beachy!

:D

And Sinkas dont know about the Liberial bit.... but we were always called westies on water!

Latest posts

Back