Water Profile Hamilton Hill into Brewfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a little help in converting a watercorp water quality data report into brewfather. I downloaded the water analysis spreadsheet and dont seem to be able to get it working. Anyone else have experience with this?

Attached WQ report.

Thanks for any guidance!

Thor

Attachments

• Hamilton_Hill_WQ_Data_Sheet_2020.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a very basic report, more Salt (NaCl) and Carbonate than I would like but nothing that can’t be fixed, you will be needing some acid.

I don’t know the Brewfather water calculator, what don’t you get?
Maybe take a screen shot of where you are putting stuff in so we can see what they want.
Mark

Thanks Mark,

See below. I can pull 5 of the 6 inputs directly from the report however bicarbonate isnt there. I am thinking of dividing the Alcalinity as CaCO3 by 1.22.

Ref: CaCO3 * 1.22 = HC03?

Thanks in advance.

Thor

1627345203056.png

1.22 is the number that comes to mind.
I suspect the water is coming through limestone at some point so you will have more Carbonate than Bi-Carbonate.
Clearly you haven’t put your values into what’s on the screen shot but when you do, odds on that your hardness*1.22 will be close.
I would be tempted to get a Reverse Osmosis filter just to get the NaCl content down, probably not too bad a water for very dark beers but I wouldn’t want to be making Pale Ale with it.
Mark

Thanks Mark,

See below using the 1.22 factor on the CaCO3. Moving out of Dark beer weather and into Pale Ale weather!!

Looks like I have a bit of reading up to do such that I am across this at a better level.

1627366834310.png

Well your Magnesium (Mg) is a bit low, should be ~6.5ppm which might bring your Cat/An-ion balance closer. Not the Manganese (Mn) which is 0.004

Try putting 101 in as your Bicarbonate Hardness (Carbonate Hardness 83*1.22).
See if that gets you closer
Mark

Looks like it’s fairly balanced, see if it works as is.
One thing that is really important is to remove Chlorine, if you don’t believe me try making a couple of kegs of soda water, one with and one without the Cl2 removed, the difference is pretty obvious.
Adding Metabisulphite (Campden tablets are easy) or Carbon filtering your water both work. For carbon filtering a Caravan Filter is a low cost way to get started.
Mark

Latest posts

Back