Water Mineral Content With The Desal Plant In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
With the desalination plant now supplying parts of Sydney with water, I started thinking about how this would affect the water chemistry.
I use the following values in beersmith and adjust the mineral content, based on colour of the beer and values from Palmer. The Nomograph on the Brisbane brewers web site is an awesome tool for this.

prospect_water.png

I contacted Sydney Water asking how these values now had changed with getting water from the desal plant.

Today I got a call from a very friendly and helpful engineer with Sydney water called Tony.

He told me that the south part of Sydney (I live in Brighton-le-Sands) would get different percentages of water from Prospect and from the desal plant depending on the time of day and other factors. Basically it varies between 50-90% of the water comes from the desal plant.

He had looked at the values I had given (from the screenshot above) and said that basically the water would be quite similar, with possibly some lower mineral content. But that the design of the mix was that the water should be very similar to Prospect water which supplies most of Sydney.
He said a difference was Boron that could be up to 20 times higher from the desal plant, but that this should not affect the brew qualities of the water. And that either way the values was well within the guidelines.

Then he offered to come and get a sample done from our building to get some values from our tap!

So maybe in a week or two we will have the new mineral content figures for Sydney, or at least the south-west of Sydney.

He said that with the Sydeny water being soft and with low mineral content I should probably continue adding whatever I would add when on 100% Prospect water. If anything add a little more as the water from the desal plant is re-mineralised with Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium after treatment but would probably contain a little less.

Was really nice of them to call back and even offer to analyse the water, very happy about that,

Just thought I should put it up here in case there are others in the area thinking of how the water mineral content is affected with the desal plant.

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back