Water Filtration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob6699

Reaction score
hey i've heard conflictin stories about water quality and filters. i live in darwin and our water is pretty good however some people have told that if you want to make really good beer you need a water filter, rain water, or even bottled spring water what do you guy's think? has any one made the exact same brew and just changed the what sort of water used? and what about glass vs plastic bottles? any real differance?

Hi there pisswreck...

You will find lots of information in the wiki section regarding glass vs plastic. All the pros and cons are addressed and you can make your own decision. I use PET for beers that I can drink young, and glass for those that I have to let sit for 6 - 12 months. Just my opinion.

As for water filters and rain water, it really depends on what type of beer you want to make. The water quality and chemicals that are added to the water will give you different characteristics that are desirable for different beers, for example I would use normal tap water for an ale, but when it comes to a lager, I would want to use either rain water or filtered water...again this is just my opinion.

Have a look in the search option top right hand corner...there is a wealth of knowledge and information regarding this.

I don't know how they treat the water in Darwin, but in Sydney the chlorine / chloramine dosage seems to be higher during summer often to the point where you can smell it out of the tap (cool water, not the hot stuff in the pipe on the side of the house).

My fridge has a chilled water outlet through a hefty filter (aftermarket one) which claims all sorts of nice things about what it can do to your water, so lately I've been using water from that to top up to final volume. There seems to be a minor taste improvement, but not something that you coudl really call compelling.

Adelaide water on the other hand... (dons flamesuit and runs like a coward :D ).

Cheers - Fermented.

Adelaide water on the other hand... (dons flamesuit and runs like a coward :D ).

Unfortunately by the time we get the water here in Adelaide, everyone else east of here has recycled it for us :p

Back