Washers For Bulkhead. Zinc Plated?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seravitae

Reaction score
Hey, was just in bunnings, got some 1/2" bsp allthread to make some bulkheads, saw they only had galv (eww) and zinc plated washers with a 1/2" internal diameter. Needless to say I'm going to go to the bolt king or some place and try to find some stainless washers - but was just curious if zinc plated was food grade.

I don't think it is, plus with the high acidity of washes it might strip the coating, but I was cursious nonetheless.

Cheers,

Seb

Dont even bother trying the zinc plated washers. get some 304 at the least.

Hey, was just in bunnings, got some 1/2" bsp allthread to make some bulkheads, saw they only had galv (eww) and zinc plated washers with a 1/2" internal diameter. Needless to say I'm going to go to the bolt king or some place and try to find some stainless washers - but was just curious if zinc plated was food grade.

I don't think it is, plus with the high acidity of washes it might strip the coating, but I was cursious nonetheless.

Cheers,

Seb

No definately not, go stainless.
Usually available from marine and boat accessory places if you can't find them anywhere else.

Cheers

Cheers,

Seb

Not sure about food grade but you are right about the acidity factor. Zinc will react with all sorts of acids, ever make a lemon battery? uses a galvanised nail and copper coin to run a clock or something else along those lines.

Stay away from them unless your building a veranda.

Aaron

Yeah, 'tis what i expected, cheers for confirming though guys. :)

Cheap Zinc coated washers will quickly cause corrosion around other metal parts on your brew gear due to the fact of disimilar metals, so hold off until you can get your hands on some stainless ones.

Cheers !

Hm, well, i only managed to get a hold of brass allthread even though most of my rig is stainless, so I hope galvanic corrosion doesnt occur with the brass thread and stainless. That said the bulkhead will hopefully mostly be isolated through the food grade washers, so I'll hope for the best. Either way when things settle down around my joint and I have a few brews under my belt it should be a quick retrofit when I get my hands on SS allthread.

Sera, you're Geebung area IIRC? There is a mob on Newman Rd that have 304 and 316 SS washers on hand.

KJ Bolt

Cheers

Sully

its brass thread..why not brass washers aswell then?

Latest posts

Back