Was Going To Be A Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephon

Reaction score
So I've got this in a cube ready to go:

2.15 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
2.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann)
0.25 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds)
0.25 kg Pale Chocolate (Bairds)
0.08 kg Chocolate Malt
0.08 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann)

50.00 gm Hallertauer [3.90 %] (75 min)
20.00 gm Hallertauer [3.90 %] (0 min)

OG 1.054
IBUs 24

Batch Size = 21l

Originally it was supposed to be a bock (it's actually based on the Hunter Valley Bock recipe from Beer and Brewer) but stocks are low and I don't want to hold up the fermentation fridge lagering this for a month.

Was thinking of just fermenting it out with US-05 or something and calling it a Porter and then I thought "Why not a choc/hazelnut porter?"

So, any reason why not? And if not, what would you do in the fermenter? I'm thinking something like:

100g Cocoa dissolved in boiling water
15ml of Hazelnut Extract?
Perhaps some vanilla?

Help!

kitchen sink :p

It'd be a little honey for me, and maybe some cloves, cardamom and star anise. I always love the winter warmers.

Maybe some oats for body?

I have done a dark ale with jarred morello cherries and it was brilliant. No pronounced cherry taste (I put it in at fermentation start, not after it'd finished most of the fermenting), but just smooth, slight honey sweetness, aroma of honey and cherry.

But do what you'd like. Any of your options sound great.

Goomba

wait a couple months for winter and get it as cold as possible with 100 can chiller etc?

Back