Warm fermentation, diacetyl & fusel alcohol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Kimbo

Reaction score
Guys, A friend and I did a IPA partial mash brew on Saturday, our fermentation fridge is in use so the fermenter has been sitting in the linen cupboard which has been sitting at around 28 - 30 degrees. It looks like fermentation is nearly complete.
I just want some ideas about the best course of action to take next. I usually leave in primary for 2-3 weeks but someone told me that because of the high fermentation temp i should rack the beer off the yeast cake as soon as possible to reduce off flavours and fusel alcahol. I'm worried that by doing that I may end up with a lot of diacetyl.

Any advice?

Yes. Don't ferment at 28-30 unless making a saison.

Cold condition, dry hop and don't expect much. I don't think racking will make much difference.

Captain I agree with you, leave it on the yeast for some time.

What manticle said.

With fermenting at 28-30 degrees your beer has travelled well down the "ordinary beer" road. And anything you do now, diacetyl or not, isn't going to make a hell of a lot of difference.

Dry hop the crap out of it, cold condition, bottle and don't expect a great beer.

Cheers guys I guess I'll up the dry hopping and serve ice cold, it still has to be better that drinking a teds

manticle said:
Yes. Don't ferment at 28-30 unless making a saison.
Not from the start though ;)
Some Saison yeast strains e.g WLP565/3274 are known to take a break near the end of fermentation which is where the elevated temps come in.

e.g.
Note to brewers: This strain tends to stall out in fermentation and then restart as long as two weeks later. Make sure the wort is well-oxygenated and allow the temperature to free rise in order to ensure complete fermentation. Some brewers add WLP001 to finish.

In the beer drinking regions of Northern France where Saisons would have been traditionally brewed it gets warm in the summer but not really all that hot. Couple of times I've been there in August it's been like a good Sydney spring day.
Would be a lot cooler in those substantial ancient stone farmvbuildings and cellars.

I'd be throwing it out now and make another batch when temps are cooler or you have fridge access again.
Or drink it to find out why you don't ferment at those temps.

Ain't nobody wanna be drinkin' that shit.

Yeah we've just decided to dump it, going to invest in another fermentation fridge asap, 1 brew at a time just isn't enough

Latest posts

Back