Wanting to sell my own branded contracted brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batemanbrewer

Reaction score
Hey AHB community,
Myself and a few guys I've been in business with owning and running bars are hoping to get a beer contract brewed for us to market with our own brand. We're in Western Australia and know a few breweries who would be keen to get involved.

We'll be buying the beer and having it bottled and labelled then selling it wholesale to bars and liquor retailers.

My question is: What are the licenses and permits I need to make this possible?

The most obvious one is a liquor wholesaler license from RGL.
Also, with the ATO, we'll need to apply for both licenses to store and transport excisable (alcohol) products.

This is apart from the registration of a business and a domain name for a website, blah, blah, blah. The company law, etc. side of things isn't an issue. More interested in the wholesale liquor part.

Anything else that I have blatantly forgotten? Any information at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mitch

As far as ATO goes you can get the brewery to pay excise or get a permit to hold the beer on premise and pay excise as you sell it.

Much easier buy from the brewery with excise already paid

Thanks Ducatiboy Stu,
Valuable information, definitely something I'll be looking into.

Still guys, any other tidbits are appreciated.

batemanbrewer said:
Thanks Ducatiboy Stu,
Valuable information, definitely something I'll be looking into.

Still guys, any other tidbits are appreciated.
No information at all from me, but just a request if you want me to try your beer.

Please, not another boring lager.
(but hey, it's your beer and your sales, so all the best to you guys)

The first beer we're hoping to release will be a Belgian Blonde!

(Fingers crossed)

i think Merc's Own did this a few years ago ( or more). hav'nt seen him here for yonks so dont know if he is contactable.
you could give Independant Brewers a call they will no doubt be able to give info for your plan. ...cheers....spog..

Check your liquor licensing and local council requirements
Figure out what package format
Try and sell the stuff.

Each state is different, in NSW licensing is attached to a physical address, in VIC it is to the business. Had both licenses, not particularly hard, just process

Pay excise at the contract plant, in WA Gage Roads seems to be doing plenty . Best advise, do not expect them to create the beer for you, have a solid recipe and specification in place

Scotty

I would also suggest you come up with relatively robust recipes. You want it to work across a spread of equipment without highlighting the differences in various efficiencies/inefficiencies.

Back