Wanting Better Results From Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way Ive found out to sanitize bottles?

Nappysan soak for a week (while brewing) then a hot water rinse-out and into the over, I remove one of the shelvs and put all my longnecks or stubbes in there, can usualy get a full 23L's of bottle! Turn the oven on its hottest setting and leave for 30 mins (after its heated up) turn oven off and give it an hour then open the door just a Tad. after a couple of hours or even overnight (with the door closed!) all the bottles are sparkling, Ive done this hundreds of times on everything from my 40 year old XXXX longnecks, to modern "thin" stubbies. Ive never had a bottle "crack" or become brittle either!

best, easiest, and most economical sanitizer is starsan $34.00 for 1 litre but it makes 600 litres (1.6ml per litre of water) i use a syringe and put 6ml in a 4 ltr container ans some in a spray bottle. no long waiting for thing to dry and no rinsing.
go the kegging as you can drink your brew straight away, i chill filter mine and its as clear as buying a draughty over the bar, wish i'd been convinced to keg earlier.good luck with the recipe

I use the sterilizer from BigW and as long as you rinse well with hot water it is ok if the bottles aren't dry. With your varying results, make sure that your fermenters are CLEAN and well rinsed and temps ARE CONSTANT!!!!! Hope this helps, simple answers are best at this early stage.

While we're dispensing advice, it isn't necessary to have constant temperatures... just appropriate. Forget the kit instructions - for that matter I'd forget the yeast if it was provided.

Get yourself a decent yeast from the HBS, and check out It's recommended temperature ranges. You can play a lot with the flavour by changing the fermentation temp.

There are also good reasons to vary the temp through the fermentation. Many Belgian styles benefit from allowing the temp to rise naturally as a result of the exothermic fermentation reactions that are taking place. And many beers will benefit from s diacetyl rest, where you raise the temperature towards the very end of the fermentation to allow the yeast to clean up the beer (it will start consuming diacetyl and acetylaldehyde that are both present in many "green" beers.

So constant is not important, but appropriate is.

May your brew be good brews,

Andy

Several people have advocated Starsan over sodium met. Starsan is great. Another alternative is Iodophor. Both are "no rinse".

I have both and switch from one to another from time to time to discourage bugs that might be more tolerant of one or the other. Tolerant of both, I'm stuffed, though hopefully the Napisan makes them pretty unhappy.

Hang in there, and try some of the suggestions. It's not hard to make terrific beer - when I was still doing K&K I had several friends tell me I should go commercial. Maybe that says more about my friends than the beer. :)

The best thing I did for my K&K beer, once I'd nailed the basic process, was to buy higher quality dry yeasts (e.g. S04, K97, T58).

T.

One way to dramatically improve your beers is to steep some speciality grains. You will be surprised how much they improve the taste.

As for consistency. Make sure you control all the variables such as temperature, cleaning, adequate aeration before pitching and minimising oxygen contact whilst bottling. I'm not an expert but this is what has helped me.

Cheers,
Brad

If you are heading for Enoggera I'm pretty sure they would stock Starsan. A combination of Nappisan - or ALDI equivalent, followed by Starsan would clean the ass out of a dead donkey, never use anything else nowadays.

That kilo of stuff you got at Kedron would probably be similar in makeup to Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 with some light malt extract, dextrose and maltodextrin (dried corn syrup). It should say on the pack to be legally sold.

That's way better than just a kilo of sugar. The Hallertau hop bag is ok with the Blue Mountain Lager but you'll end up with something more like a better hopped Tooheys pub beer than a Crown.

If you are looking for an enhanced version of what you and your mate have been making so far I would go for:

Mexican or Canadian Blonde tin
Brew Enhancer 2 or the Kedron mix if it's similar
A hop teabag or get 90g of hops for a third of the price per gram - Enoggera should sell them or go to Craftbrewer (top of this page)
A pack of US-05 yeast (Enoggera) which will make a better beer than the kit
Ferment at 17 degrees if you can.

If you are at the big green shed, try getting a new tap for $1.50 and see if that fixes the problem, otherwise you may need to try plumbers tape and see if that works, and unscrew tap for cleaning and sanitizing after each brew.

:icon_cheers:

Wadey, you're on the right track, I think one important thing to remember is don't rely on just one source for information- always seek a second opinion. Around here you'll probably get more than just a second opinion as just about everyone will have their own particular views though, so running with the majority may be the way to go. Don't be put off by a poor result though (I don't think you have), its all part of the learning experience and you'll know better next time.
Also check around a few different suppliers for quality ingredients (sponsors are excellent IMO), it is worthwhile to suss out a few different options. In your case US-05 at 17C or lower would probably be a good start, search around AHB for 'fake lager'. If you have a dead fridge (or even a good one), pop your fermenter in and changes of frozen water bottles every so often should keep it in the right zone for a clean lager- like flavour, but US-05 is quite forgiving anyway and is a very versatile strain. Initially when the yeast fires up it will get rather warm (exothermic), change the bottles more frequently/ use more to keep it down.

Hope this helps, good luck with it! :icon_cheers:

@wadey - I live at Wavell Heights, so Kedron is LHBS. Don't go there. They are overpriced and only do kits and water purification plus flavouring. Their product range is average, they don't know what they are talking about.

It's a bit of a drive to Capalaba, but go down to CraftBrewer, just to see what a real brew shop should be - the scale of it will blow your mind and Anthony there is a deadset legend - ask him anything, he'll help you out. But most of the time I post order and it arrives the next day.

They sell those hop teabags for about $7.50 if I remember right - a bag of hops at 90g is the same price at craftbrewer and fresher as well.

The reason they said no to bleach would be that they sell sodium metabisulphate, so make money. I ditch Na2S2O5, and I don't have any issue. Just wash well and be meticulous about sanitisation.

Another option if you do use CB - try getting just liquid extract enough for your recipe, and choose the hop schedule yourself - buy hops, look up a recipe here and add them at the times specified for it. That big jump from Kit to Extract plus hops plus yeast isn't as scary as it seems and the jump in beer quality is amazing. You'll blow your neighbour away.

And fermentation temp is imporant, especially as the weather has just suddenly got very warm. I live in a brick 1970s house which is far cooler underneath - which are rare here, but back when I lived in a timber Qlder, it went under the house near the laundry so that the temps were low. If you ferment at 26 degrees (despite the instructions on the tin saying "do it"), you'll get average quality beer. If you get a particular yeast, research via tha googlez what the best temp for it it, and put it somewhere where you are likely to get that temp consistently (for me - under the house).

So in summary:

Don't go to Kedron
Ingredients are important, hops are better bought in 90g packs -fresher, cheaper
Ferment temp most important.

Hope this helps and be patient, becoming a good brewer is also practice.

Goomba

Hi Guys/Gals.

My neighbour and I have been home brewing Coopers Mexican with Liquid Sugar (dont say it) for I reckon 18 months, he has always had a consistant result, and the beer is ok. Mine on the other hand is all over the place and often tastes a bit metallic or soapy.

5. I am also thinking of getting into kegging, with one proviso, I start getting better resluts, what is the general concenus on kegging?

Wadey

If your beer is drinkable but not great I would look at your fermentation temps. I've had 2 infected brews and it was obvious something was wrong- one was massively overcarbonated and totally flavourless like yellow sodawater, and the other was sour- think blue cheese versus tasty cheese. With kit beers, fermenting a bit too warm (like 25C) will cause off flavours- beer won't be undrinkable, but not that pleasant either. Fermenting very warm (30C) will cause most kit beers to be undrinkable. Getting some temp control was the single best thing I did to improve my kit beers- after I was sure my cleaning was sorted.

I would get your brewing process sorted before looking at kegs- kegged bad beer is no better than bottled bad beer.

Alfie

idophor i use,i spray inside fermenter when not in use,rinse out when going to start a batch..also anti bacterial solution i soak my tap in..same stuff used for baby bottles..bottles are washed in "perc"

Hi Guys/Gals.

Great site BTW, some really helpful hints and tips.

My neighbour and I have been home brewing Coopers Mexican with Liquid Sugar (dont say it) for I reckon 18 months, he has always had a consistant result, and the beer is ok. Mine on the other hand is all over the place and often tastes a bit metallic or soapy.

Anyway I have had engough, I have bought some PET bottles, ditched the stubbies, and visited my LHBS at Kedron in Brisbane. They talked me into the following receipe and have just put it down tonight:

Crown Lager Style
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1kg Ultra Brew
12g
Hallertau Finishing Hops
Lloyds Lager Booster 100g

I just have a few questions I am hoping you can all help me with:

1. What do you think of the receipe?
Hey, and welcome...as far as a recipe for Crownies go, not sure about the hallertau
2. What the hell does Lager Booster Do and how do you use it?
Don't know, never used it and don't think you would need to.
3. They loaded me up with Sodium Met Sterlizer and some Sanitizer, is Sodium Met the best sterlizer and does it matter if it is not completely dry when you put the brew down?
I am fanatical with sterilising. I do use sodium met, then rinse it off and then spray with iodophor (no rinse) and let it dry...never any issues.
4. I noticed some floaties when I went to pitch the yeast, hope that doesnt stuff it after all this, think it was from the lager booster?
Floaties would just be lumps of fermentables that will ferment out, don't worry.
5. I am also thinking of getting into kegging, with one proviso, I start getting better resluts, what is the general concenus on kegging?
I keg, and put left overs in Grolsch bottles for BBQs and picnincs etc. Kegging is great, beer on tap, can't beat it.

Thats enough for now, sorry, alot of questions, looking forward to your repsonse.

Wadey

You say neighbor so I can only guess you are getting your ingredients from the same place.

If so I suggest the difference in results is related to how you brew or where you brew.

The metallic or soapy off flavors you refer to can be caused by basic brewing mistakes, or ingredients, or the conditions in the brewery. Metallic can be cause by something as easy as metals in the water or the brewing equipment. You have an old house with bad pipes? You using a rusty old pot to brew in? If you are getting ingredients from a different source it could be as simple as old malt extract.

Soapy is a bit different. Poor cleaning of equipment or poor fermentation practices can cause it. I would look at the cleaning of brewing equipment and bottles first. Most of you down under do not leave the beer in the fermentor long enough to cause soapy flavors from poor fermentation practices.

Have you brewed at your neighbors to see how he does it? It could be you need to take your brewery to his house and see if it is the house or the way you brew.

Hope this helps some.

Hi All.

Well, I have to say that is an overwelling response to my question and I am absolutely impressed and thankyou for the advice everyone. I am postive now that I can get back on track and hopefully get my neighbour to start brewing outside the square as well.

I bought a new tap from Kedron today, different person served me but I can tell you that it will be my last visit. He had the sense of humour of a boiled pea.

Anyway folks, you have left me with plenty to ponder and I cant wait now to start my next brew, lets see how the Morgans turns out though, I will keep you posted.

Off to Capalabla on the weekend I think to visit Craftbrewer, sounds great, might con the neighbour into coming with me.

Cheers,

Wadey

Hi All.

Well, I have to say that is an overwelling response to my question and I am absolutely impressed and thankyou for the advice everyone. I am postive now that I can get back on track and hopefully get my neighbour to start brewing outside the square as well.

I bought a new tap from Kedron today, different person served me but I can tell you that it will be my last visit. He had the sense of humour of a boiled pea.

Anyway folks, you have left me with plenty to ponder and I cant wait now to start my next brew, lets see how the Morgans turns out though, I will keep you posted.

Off to Capalabla on the weekend I think to visit Craftbrewer, sounds great, might con the neighbour into coming with me.

Cheers,

Wadey

Welcome to brewing wadey - if I may (without hopefully sounding like a know it all) - I'd suggest you use the next 2 days to research/formulate recipes. Go to craftbrewer and look for the ingredients and get something specific on paper. Go in there and order what you need, but at the same time pump Anthony for info about hops, malts and yeast for your recipe and he might suggest something different/new.

He suggest citra once for a replacement hop, and that has turned out to be my fave hop (well one of them) - just by accident.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back