• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted To Buy: A Keg Fridge In Melbourne!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugwan

Monobräu Brewing
Reaction score
Well, I started a thread recently about an attempt to repair my 3 week old (2nd hand) fridge, but despite some helpful advice from fellow brewers, it was to no avail...

So it seems I am in the market for another fridge again. I'm not happy about that of course, but that's the way the Mercedes Benz...

I know brewers are a helpful lot, so I was hoping that someone in the Melbourne area might have some surplus refrigeration equipment they might be keen to get rid of? I will turn up with a trailer and some cash (hopefully less than $100 :unsure: ) to make your life easy.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've been watching eBay, but I'm a bit wary now that my last one for $100 died after 3 weeks!

Cheers.

Afternoon Bugwan, sorry no fridge for sale just some advice. I had a $150 fridge, lastd me for approx 7 years. When it died I bit the bullet and bought a newy. Food for thought, especially since your old one only lasted 3 weeks. :D

Good advice from Razz ... a few years ago, I brought a 2nd hand fridge off a friend of a friend who even delivered it for $100 plus a good bottle of red. It died in less than a week :blink: Try talking to a fridgey who does domestic repairs (or even industrial or commercial stuff) ... they can often point you in the right direction over the ph.

Afternoon Bugwan, sorry no fridge for sale just some advice. I had a $150 fridge, lastd me for approx 7 years. When it died I bit the bullet and bought a newy. Food for thought, especially since your old one only lasted 3 weeks. :D

Cheers Razz, food for thought indeed... It's just the run up to Christmas that is confounding issues. I need space for cold kegs, but I need money for other things too..!

Damn compromises.

Cheers mate.

I've found ebay very good for 2nd hand fridges but you have to be patient.

Narrow down an ebay search for a fridge in your local area then make it a favourite and have it email you when one pops up.

If you are prepared to wait a few weeks then something will always turn up.

try the tip at Rye

theres aways heaps of fridges this time of year...ya just not to sure if there in working order.... ya do find some that work though..should be free

jeddog

If you don't mind a punt you can normally get fridges for free behind Retravision or Harvey Norman shops. Mostly they are happy if you ask nicely as they often pay for the stuff to be carted away.
Just go for the more affluent suburbs where the public are more inclined to 'upgrade' rather than 'replace'. I have grabbed three in total and they have all worked :blink: . (And a big stereo TV) You may come across a dud or two but if you have room just set then aside for the curbside bulk collection. :)
Cheers
Doug

What suburb are u in mate?

Im in the northern suburbs (ivanhoe to eltham way) and i have counted about 5 fridges out on nature strips for hard rubbish collection latley...

I rang the council and booked in my hard rubbish and said to the lady i've noticed loads of ppl putting out hard rubbish and she said yea around x-mas time everyone does it to make room and clean up etc.

The next one i see i will post the address of. EZ.

If you don't mind a punt you can normally get fridges for free behind Retravision or Harvey Norman shops. Mostly they are happy if you ask nicely as they often pay for the stuff to be carted away.
Just go for the more affluent suburbs where the public are more inclined to 'upgrade' rather than 'replace'. I have grabbed three in total and they have all worked :blink: . (And a big stereo TV) You may come across a dud or two but if you have room just set then aside for the curbside bulk collection. :)
Cheers
Doug

In the less affluent suburbs you may find that there is an arrangement with a second-hand fridge place to come and pick them up (back-hander involved probably) so the general public are not quite so welcome.
However, I asked the name of the place which picked them up and managed to grab one from them before they'd 'cleaned it up'. Still managed a 6 month warranty and got it for $150 instead of $375

Guys, your responses have been fantastic! Cheers for all the help.

I'm in Yarraville, but live opposite a trailer hire place, so I can pick up all sorts of bargains with reasonable notice.

Thanks for the heads up on the Retravision thing, I hadn't thought of those returns at all.

Thanks again, will update on my progress!

Just another thought on the subject of cheap and second-hand fridges...
Someone (can't remember who off the top of my head) posted some time ago the true cost of cheap fridges. A fridge which doesn't function properly may end up costing more than you save in purchase price. If your gas-leaking or compressor-weary second-hand fridge runs 3 times as often as a fully-functional fridge you'll probably find that the extra power costs you more in the first year than the difference in purchase price.
See if you can check functionality before you buy. Take a thermometer along and make sure it gets down to temp and holds it for a reasonable time.
Some of the best 'non-beer' advice I've heard on this forum and it did me a big favour.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back