• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted- Old Computer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I'm going to have a goosie around ebay, but I'll also ask around here, too...

Anyone here (living in SA) have an old computer lying around you don't want? I am looking around for a brew computer to use, and I only want something basic; ie can run windows and promash.

Alternatively to that, anyone know of where I can get an old computer for really cheap? (I don't want to spend good money on it; I just want something that'll run promash and do some simple calculations; maybe I'll rig it up with some temperature probes when I get daring enough in the future)

Cheers,

Dave

I went into their site and went to send my email to get their specials, and they asked to choose my state from the following:

NSW
Vic
WA
QLD
NT
Tas

Every state but the one I live in... <_<

Oh well, can't win them all!

Cheers,

Dave

What specs are you looking for?
Do you need xp or is 98 ok?

A couple of points to consider.

Older pc's take ages to boot up. If you are keeping all your records on a pc, it will become a pain to boot it for just an sg reading update, or bottling notes etc. This may lead to holes in your records.

Another strategy would be to get a usb flash memory and load promash and all your records on it. That way, you could run it on any pc.

If you are in Adelaide, I have an old pc that you can have for $50 that would be perfect for your uses. I have several small form factor HP pc's also for sale that will run XP fine as well, $250 ea including monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Available to anyone who wants them, just email me [email protected]

A couple of points to consider.

Older pc's take ages to boot up. If you are keeping all your records on a pc, it will become a pain to boot it for just an sg reading update, or bottling notes etc.

Leave it running 24x7 with a distributed computing project like Folding@home or SETI or something. I would recommend Linux as well if you use something like Brewsta.

I got an email from a friend telling me he has a computer lying around that runs Win 98... I'll check it out and keep youse all posted

I scored a PII lappy that the batteries were dead in for free and the old Promash gets a good run on it, I call it my brew calculator.
Last council clean up there must have been 50+ old PC's on the street all of which could have made a fine brewing calculator. The best recent score was a fully functioning PIII 900+Mhz 256MbRam 20 gig HD just sitting on the footpath at Randwick Junction.
If i find something working soon again I'll send it to you.

An old lap top is the way to go i think. I have an ancient one in my shed for promash. battery doesnt work but can plug in to the power in the shed. its an old toshiba 66Mhz (damn slow) buts its all promash needs if it has win 95 or later i think. only issue was i had to tranfer promash by floppy disc

Im also in the hunt for and old laptop too for the self same purpose...something to drag out whilst on the job of brewing...so any offers......

Latest posts

Back