• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from googling around, I think there is a little more to the story than just the container in which the CO2 is stored.

I'm not even going to source this quote as it's just a random piece of 'wisdom' from the internet, we can all find a thousand unsourced opinions I know, this will be another one now I've posted it.

The difference between food grade and industral grade CO2 are the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) contained within the original source that the CO2 was derived from. These VOC's may be compounds such as Benzene, Toluene and Carbonyl Sulphide.

There is a filtration process prior to the compressor that is more rigorous for 'Food Grade' CO2.

Where did the CO2 come from in the first place? I'm guessing that it is a byproduct from hydrocarbons ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production ) and so can contain a lot of things other than CO2 - the 0.3% that isn't CO2. The compressors used to put it into tanks also use oil lubricants.

Here's another unsourced quote:
Industrial Grade CO2 like the one used for welding, extinguishers, compressed systems (like paintballs), dry ice is CO2 that is produced, transferred and recompressed using oil lubricated compressors and Yes sometimes lubricant is added like in the case of the one used for the small cartridges used for pellet guns and probably paint ball guns also.

The bulk CO2 that leaves the producing plants is screened so as not to exceed a total specification for Hydrocarbons and will make it suitable for aquariums, unfortunately at the use point (The dealer tank, the extinguisher plant etc) those traces of hydrocarbons get concentrated in the storage tanks as they are the last to gasify when using the CO2. At certain point the concentration is such that they can be pumped out of the storage tank into a cylinder.
Because minute amounts of hydrocarbons are not critical for applications like welding, extinguishers or as carrier (Pellet guns) those storage tanks or cylinders do not get screened very often (If you can not smell it then it is OK kind of test) so like the box of chocolates.....

On the other hand, CO2 for beverage, food packaging, medical for breathing mixes and such has to be fully tested by federal FDA regulations and lot numbers and serial numbers have to be tracked and this lot tests are audited at least once a month by a third party licenced chemist and a report is sent to the FDA. (The storage tank is tested before and after it is get filled and before filling cylinders. Similarly all cylinders have to be tested which whithin other parameters include Carbon Monoxide and Total Hydrocarbons) So if you want to avoid surprises I would recommend you get food, beverage or USP medical grade.

If you are going to get standard grade I would recommend at least that you get it directly from a distribution plant from a manufacturer so you shorten the supply chain reducing the number of times that CO2 has been transfilled reducing then the posibility of contamination. The two largest manufacturers are Praxair and Air Products although regionally BOC and Air Liquide may have some smaller production units.

The second shooter was Charles Manson.

(I may have changed the second quote slightly to show the meaningless of internet wisdom :D )
So there's a load of Friday morning waffle to show that non-food grade CO2 probably isn't as pure as food-grade, whether this has a long-term effect on your health or your beer, well it's probably negligible, you're probably already doing worse things to your health and your beer anyway, I was just curious as I figured any industrial product is probably better used as intended.

A to Z fire at Wingfield are good too. They're in the yellow pages under "fire extinguishers".

Re whether food and extinguisher grade CO2 are the same, I don't sweat about stuff like this. I just stick the extinguisher grade CO2 in my beer and drink it.

Also the people from BOC told me that they're the same.

But if anyone wants to lose sleep over this, go right ahead.

Anyone have an opinion the 2.6kg ebay jobbies? Any good or should I save more $$ and get a 6.8kg?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-Dioxide-...#ht_3377wt_1139
If you're asking for an opinion: My opinion is that I would always prefer an aluminium cylinder over a steel one. Apart from being heavy, which might not be an issue, steel cylinders can and very often do rust on the inside, even when new. They won't blow up when tested in the usual intervals, but what effect the rust may or may not have on your beer I don't know. I paid a little extra for an aluminium one (well, actually two) and never have to think about it again. Peace of mind, that's all.

Latest posts

Back