• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatKiwiFella

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am pretty much set to go on my first all grain & kegging brew (yip both in the one hit)! Can't wait.

However, being a poor student means funds are limited. As such, if anyone has a CO2 bottle (that can be filled and isn't leased, expired, etc) which they don't want or are willing to part ways with cheaply I would certainly appreciate it! I know it's a long shot but thought I would ask.

Ideally a small-to-medium bottle would be perfect e.g. up to 6ish kg (means it is hide-able from SWMBO) :)

I don't mind paying something and/or shipping, I just simply can not afford a new bottle.

Failing that, any suggestions on where to pick a cheap (and fillable!) bottle is appreciated.

Thanks,

ThatKiwiFella :icon_cheers:

PS: I am in Adelaide (5069)

Sorry I can't help you with supplying a bottle but have you thought about using a SodaStream gas bottle until you get some $$$ together? You can get them for around $40-$50. Even better, buy SWMBO a new SodaStream machine and convince her you need the spare bottle :icon_chickcheers:

theres a place on grand junction rd near the Mansfield with a heap of co2 extinguishers for sale out the front you might wanna look into,
cheers

Thanks AF! I have borrowed, very temporarily, a mates 540g aquarium bottle. It is small, but should be at least enough to get three beers kegged and purged of O2 so they are okay to sit for a while. The SodaStream, longterm, just seems to expensive...

glaab, any idea of address or better yet business name? Any possibility it is the below?

E Fire & Safety
438 Grand Junction Rd
5012 Mansfield Park
Phone:
(08) 8345 1777

I know there is heaps to read about Fire Extinguishers vs food grade CO2 bottles, I'm am undecided if there is a significant difference?! I like the concept of "food grade" but from my reading I can't tell what real world difference there is?!

Thanks!!!

I think there are a few threads on here that mention food grade co2. From my memory it has been noted that it is the same gas, the difference is that in order for it to be "food grade" the bottle must be purged and cleaned to a set standard before it is refilled, in order to ensure it is clean and hence "food grade".
Put the same co2 into an unpurged, uncleaned bottle and it is just plain ol co2.

go see Ken at Ceasefire just near the Hindmarsh Soccer Stadium.

they're super homebrew friendly at Ceasefire, . 6 months ago i got a 6kg from him for less than a 2kg keg king from sponsors... would imagine a 2-3 kg from Ken would be super cheap and well stashable from the minister for war and finance.

theres a place on grand junction rd near the Mansfield with a heap of co2 extinguishers for sale out the front you might wanna look into,
cheers
second hand CO2 extinguishers are a cheap way to get into kegging

I think there are a few threads on here that mention food grade co2. From my memory it has been noted that it is the same gas, the difference is that in order for it to be "food grade" the bottle must be purged and cleaned to a set standard before it is refilled, in order to ensure it is clean and hence "food grade".
Put the same co2 into an unpurged, uncleaned bottle and it is just plain ol co2.
many here (me included) use CO2 extinguishers which definitely won't have food grade CO2 .. i've never heard of any problems.

second hand CO2 extinguishers are a cheap way to get into kegging

many here (me included) use CO2 extinguishers which definitely won't have food grade CO2 .. i've never heard of any problems.

Where can you pick them up around melbourne?

Where can you pick them up around melbourne?
last year i picked up 3 full out of date s/h extinguishers for $50 on ebay.

in ebay filter by location ... 100km or whatever distant you will travel from your post code
seach for CO2 and C02 .... ie the letter "O" and also the digit "zero" .. some people incorrectly list....
i watched and waited for about 2 months until mine came up...

i could pm the guy i purchased mine off.. he had more than 10 when i got mine.

Thanks all. I had been keeping an eye on ebay but as of yet have found nothing within 100km of me... And if they weren't full and/or were old I probably wouldn't bother as getting them refilled becomes the issue.

I will go and see Ken @ Ceasefire and see how he can help - hopefully he has a fridge that needs some stocking ;)

This maybe is an already answered question but I can not find an answer...

Is the lining and internal construction (ignoring valves, dip tubes, etc) inside of a fire extinguisher the same as a regular CO2 cylinder (i.e. "homebrew", "aquarium", etc) and the same as a 'food grade' cylinder?

Is there any good info on what it takes to get a fire extinguisher from 2nd hand to beer? Also where can you get them filled?
Thanks.

And if they weren't full and/or were old I probably wouldn't bother as getting them refilled becomes the issue.
any fire fighting equipment service company will refill an extinguisher.
the going rate is around $10/kg.
an out of date bottle will cost around $15-$25 to be retested ... depends if it needs a hydo test or not.
as long as an old bottle isn't damaged or rusty it will pass.

Is the lining and internal construction (ignoring valves, dip tubes, etc) inside of a fire extinguisher the same as a regular CO2 cylinder (i.e. "homebrew", "aquarium", etc) and the same as a 'food grade' cylinder?
i'm not sure why this is important??
they are just a container to hold an inert gas??
the only comment i'd make is .. you may find it harder to actually find someone who will refill a fire extinguisher with "food grade" CO2..

just to repeat .... lots of AHB people are using extinguishers with "non-food grade" CO2 .. and I've never heard of any issues....

Is there any good info on what it takes to get a fire extinguisher from 2nd hand to beer? Also where can you get them filled?
Thanks.
finding a fire fighting equipment service company is easy .. google .. or yellow pages...

the only issue will be whether or not they are prepared to remove the dip tube for you...
the mob i use were more than happy to do it for me.

in saying that, i used the gas that was in the extinguishers when i purchased them... with a dip tube.. with no issues.
the only minor problem i had was when i forced carbed with the extinguisher upright and the dip tube still fitted ...
so i usually forced carbed with an inverted extinguisher .. and then after that used the extinguisher upright even though it still had its dip tube fitted....

Bottles have to get tested every few years (10 years?) so factor that into it if you get a cheap one from ebay. That bottle comes full too
if you can save $100 or more on a second hand extinguisher compared to a new bottle ... and then have to pay $15-$25 to get it tested... you are still miles in front.

My question is do you have a CO2 regulator..

Yip, supposedly in the post... Although it has been over month since the purchase (the rest of the equipment turned up fine, in less than a week, but the regulator was not sent with the kegs etc...). I have a loaner available should I need one but that isn't a longterm solution...

Lots of good advice, so thank you. I had always thought the re-testing was a lot me expensive than suggested here, which is great news!

Michael, I get your point re inert gas, etc. All I was wondering was if there was perhaps a particular lining, finishing method or something that 'magically' made a bottle food grade or not but I agree, unless it was blowing chunks of lining or other matter through it is irrelevant - more my curiosity as to how 'food grade' is justified. :)

I found this today, which is a fair bit more expensive that I had hoped but someone else might be interested (will post in ebay thread if not already there)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Steel-6Kg-C...#ht_3511wt_1141

Thanks.
I just unscrewed the hose from the extinguisher and fitted a sodastream adaptor and connected my reg to it.

Latest posts

Back