Want To Move To A/g, Live Near Nunawading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanIAm

Reaction score
I've recently bought a crown urn and am doing BIAB.

A brewing buddy wouldn't go astray... Much as I love drinking beer and experimenting, I'm not always timely in laying brews down and so my stocks diminish :(

I also figure, that if twice as many brews get laid down, it allows for more variety which is a good thing.

So, if you live nearby and want to make a move to a/g this could be a good opportunity for you.

Aside from the urn/bags, I have a chiller coil and an external thermostat (much more accurate than the urns built in thermostat, also use it on my fermenting fridge). So, this would let you invest money into different gear (maybe you move from bottles to kegs or kit up with a fermenting fridge instead of leaving your brews to the mercy of the elements).

Anyway, I'm close to brentford square, if your interested PM me.

Oh yeah, I'm still just a newb, just warning you.
Dan

Have you tried your LHBS and asked if there are any local Home Brew clubs?

You're home brew store owner would know of other people who'd be keen to brew with you.

Hey Dan,
Get yourself along to the Melbourne Brewers (likely closest) next club meeting. Wed 29th of Feb. info here: linky

There are heaps of experienced (read: old grumpy buggers :p ) and quite a few new members just jumping into the craft with all levels in between. Heaps of info and a great way to meet folks that are local.

Looks like he's after someone to make beer for him. A brew club or demo won't passively increase his stocks/variety as he seems to want.

Looks like he's after someone to make beer for him. A brew club or demo won't passively increase his stocks/variety as he seems to want.

It gives him the opprtunity to possibly meet the people he's after though.

And marry them?

And marry them?

Maybe, if they turn out to be good brewers :icon_chickcheers:

I was thinking that I'd achieve 2 things.

1. At the moment I "get around" to doing a brew whereas I would set brew day aside as a religious requirement with a brewing buddy.
2. Helps someone take the plunge from kit to A/G, without the OMG of setup, cost and how do you do it. Share the love around as they say...
3. The possibility that instead of 2 people buying almost identical equipment, 2 people could instead buy complimentary equipment (be it a grain mill or whatever) or the buddy could go for the luxury of a keg system at their house instead of splashing on A/G equipment or just save the money if that's their inclination.

The only downside to it is that doing 2 brews would be time consuming. I think that the no beer while brewing "guideline" would be broken (not that it doesn't already get broken...).

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was always going to bring this up with my local shop (brewers den) on my next visit. Also, I've been to Melbourne Brewers, they're a good crew.

Maybe, if they turn out to be good brewers :icon_chickcheers:

I was thinking that I'd achieve 2 things.

1. At the moment I "get around" to doing a brew whereas I would set brew day aside as a religious requirement with a brewing buddy.
2. Helps someone take the plunge from kit to A/G, without the OMG of setup, cost and how do you do it. Share the love around as they say...
3. The possibility that instead of 2 people buying almost identical equipment, 2 people could instead buy complimentary equipment (be it a grain mill or whatever) or the buddy could go for the luxury of a keg system at their house instead of splashing on A/G equipment or just save the money if that's their inclination.

The only downside to it is that doing 2 brews would be time consuming. I think that the no beer while brewing "guideline" would be broken (not that it doesn't already get broken...).

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was always going to bring this up with my local shop (brewers den) on my next visit. Also, I've been to Melbourne Brewers, they're a good crew.

Hey Dan, where did you get the crown and for how much?
I am in Burwood and not too far away and am pretty new to this thing (my second brew is going along at the moment). Already I have generated a lot of interest with my friends so I am sure you would find a blokey mate who would contribute to the cause.

The flaw in this plan is that you may have twice as much beer but twice as many people wanting to drink it.

The other flaw of course, is that you may find exactly what you're looking for except the brewing partner you end up with turns out to be a tit and you have to move suburb to get away from him/her.

Nonetheless, come to Melb Brewers as Maple suggested (and as I tried to last night but the internet ate my post) where you can at least meet other brewers, mostly from your area with whom you can share you beer, share their beer and talk shit about beer till your inner nerd is well and truly sated.

Hey Dan, where did you get the crown and for how much?
I am in Burwood and not too far away and am pretty new to this thing (my second brew is going along at the moment). Already I have generated a lot of interest with my friends so I am sure you would find a blokey mate who would contribute to the cause.

Hi Edak,

Second brew and wanting to move beyond kits? Go for it, you won't look back. Just like walking into a bakery shortly after they've been baking smells so good, hot wort sends a delicious smell right through the house. You'll find to your satisfaction that brewing is thirsty work, also the end product is superior.

I picked up the Urn and other gear from Grain and Grape. Urn was $280 or something, $100+ each for a chiller coil and a digital thermostat (the last 2 items aren't necessary, but have proved useful) and other bits and pieces, remember that BIAB can be happily done the low tech way (big pot, burner) and left to cool by itself, but with same issues as normal brewing i.e. hygiene, temperature etc.

I'll pm you with my contact details, your welcome to lay down some brews here with me.

It's worth your going to the grain and grape demo first, seeing is understanding and you'll get to check out a damn fine brew shop in the process.

The flaw in this plan is that you may have twice as much beer but twice as many people wanting to drink it.

The other flaw of course, is that you may find exactly what you're looking for except the brewing partner you end up with turns out to be a tit and you have to move suburb to get away from him/her.

Nonetheless, come to Melb Brewers as Maple suggested (and as I tried to last night but the internet ate my post) where you can at least meet other brewers, mostly from your area with whom you can share you beer, share their beer and talk shit about beer till your inner nerd is well and truly sated.

Hi Manticle,

I'll take a chance on the brewing buddy scenario, maybe it goes sour but more likely it will go sweetly. In life I've found that most people are decent enough, so I don't think that it's that big a deal.

I have been to Melbourne Brewers before (did mention them as a bunch of top blokes higher up in the thread somewhere), but I think I haven't stated clearly what I'm trying to achieve (maybe I shouldn't type if I'm over .05). I'm not chasing drinking buddies, people to shoot the breeze with or the experience of veteran brewers in this exercise, don't get me wrong I value these things...

This post is more about giving access to gear for someone wanting to step out of kits and making it easier for them and at the same time, getting my own house in order and adding a bit of discipline to my own brewing so that I don't suffer tragedies like running out of beer and drinking stuff before it's had a chance to lager.

Hmmm... This post reads as humourless (written by Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory?). I'm not having a go manticle, I'm sorry that the post is on the dry side.

***Update*** Now I get the tit quip, just reread my own post... <facepalm>

On top of that facepalm, I'm looking at an Oztop brew of apple/mango/banana, except that there are more dregs than drink. Where does the juice sediment start, which bit is the yeast cake and why when combined does it look like someone's been driving the porcelain bus?

Don't know about anyone else but i'm looking forward to the response!

Hi, I've been looking for brewing buddies, but I've got no biters so far. I'd be happy to do an all grain brew with you, and we can work out what to do with wort. I think it's fair that whomever spends the cash gets the brew.
I've done 3 kit brews so far and they've all gone brilliantly, just looking For a mate to start out doing Some all grain with.
And I would go see the blokes on Saturday mornings at G&G, well worth the drive. The best explanation of AG I could have ever wanted.
PM me if you want to do a brew some time. I have heaps of great gear to share.

Hi mattbivi,

I'll pm my contact details.

With the wort, a more straightforward proposition is to do a wort each on brewday, if going to the effort of brewing, you'd want beer as a result. can swap a few brews after their bottled.

Hi, I've been looking for brewing buddies, but I've got no biters so far. I'd be happy to do an all grain brew with you, and we can work out what to do with wort. I think it's fair that whomever spends the cash gets the brew.
I've done 3 kit brews so far and they've all gone brilliantly, just looking For a mate to start out doing Some all grain with.
And I would go see the blokes on Saturday mornings at G&G, well worth the drive. The best explanation of AG I could have ever wanted.
PM me if you want to do a brew some time. I have heaps of great gear to share.

In life I've found that most people are decent enough, so I don't think that it's that big a deal.

You've obviously never worked in a hospital. Try it some time and you'll quickly change your tune.

Hi Mate,

I live in East Doncaster and have been just using the cans for a while now along with a keg set up.

I would be keen to give you a hand and actually see the process for when I make the move away from cans.

Shoot me a PM and we can go from there if your keen.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've been in touch with Mattbivi (check his post above) on this, he's interested as well. You have the option of laying down a brew yourself or being a fly on the wall.

I'll send a pm with my contact details.

Back