Want To Get Started With A Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
Hi all, first post.

I have been bottling home brew since 1989 off and on and love it (just simple kits, mainly Morgans). However, I am now sick of bottles. Some questions I would like to ask:

1. Should I just buy a two keg set up (to get going) with a gun as per eBay and add as the system grows, or order the stuff individually?

2. I want a chest freezer, build a collar and then put taps through the collar. Ideal set up will be 4 taps and space for 6 kegs what size chest freezer will I need as a guide?

3. I have looked in the forum and notice that different beers need different gas pressure to pour (Draft verses Dark Ales etc), how do I do this / what do I need?

4. Most likely the same answer as Q3 what do I do / need to pour one keg and carbonate another at the same time?

Thanks in advance :icon_chickcheers:

Kuzzy

1 - Usually better to order the stuff individually. In fact check out craftbrewer's 4 keg special. Great value.
2 - If you want to put some kegs on the compressor hump (possible with a big enough collar), you'll need about a 220L minimum, but not all 220L models will fit 6 kegs. A 300L odd will typically handle 6 with ease, sometimes all of them on the floor, which gives you a bit of spare room on the compressor hump.
3 - I wouldn't worry about this at this stage. Do you prime your bottles differently at the moment depending on whether they're lagers or ales? In my opinion this isn't a big deal.
4 - You need to have a way to split your gas line. You can use sort of 'double adapter' john guest fittings to do this with ease, or a gas manifold. If your system is balanced you shouldn't need to adjust the regulator ever unless you want to force carb a keg (not absolutely needed, you can just wait a week and it'll be carbed).

Howdy!
First off, ordering all your stuff individually is a pretty good way to go, but you need to know all the diffrent fittings required and make sure that they fit together (some lines don't fit some fittings, etc.). The way I went was to get a 2 keg setup (as on Ebay),and look to improve/upgrade things as I go.
The size of the chest freezer depends on alot of factors, you can get outlines of the kegs (a height measurement and 5-6 paper circles with the keg circumference on them) and lay them out in the freezer when you're buying them if it's easier
You can get supplementary fittings to the regulator in order to serve at 2 diffrent temps, but often you can just pick a happy medium and carb them all up like that.
If you have the simple gas in and beer out fittings, my understanding is that you can just hook up the uncarbed keg to the gas line and leave it for a week or two, and that'll be fine. You'd need a regulator with dual pressure outputs to force carb and still be serving a beer at the same time.

As force carbing only takes a couple of minutes and it's a home setup I wouldn't bother with a dual reg just for force carbing. It's not like you'll have impatient customers lining up for a beer while you're force carbing...

One thing that is a must is a non-return/check valve on your gas line to stop overcarbonated beer travelling up your gas line and stuffing your regulator. It's cheap insurance.

Thanks Guys!

I'll start hunting for a freezer this weekend.

I live in Brissy, any suggestions as to what shops are more helpfull / good pricing?

Thanks Guys!

I live in Brissy, any suggestions as to what shops are more helpfull / good pricing?

Click on the Craftbrewer link above, a sponsor of this site. Ross will be more than happy to talk you through everything that you'll need.

Batz

Thanks Guys!

For freezers?

There's a place in Bowen Hills called Queensland Used Appliances. They have freezers that are basically new factory seconds. I bought one recently that had a bashed in corner, I just bashed it out again until all 4 wheels were square and it sat on the ground nicely. These are not the cheapest options though, the weekend shopper is usually the best. Try to avoid Ebay unless you are selling. I bought one through the weekend shopper and sold it a year later at a $70 profit!

Click on the Craftbrewer link above, a sponsor of this site. Ross will be more than happy to talk you through everything that you'll need.

Batz

+1, Ross will talk you through your set-up, he will give you a cheap option, but will recommend the dearer/better quality option... It all depends on your budget, but go the better quality option as it will be cheaper in the long run.... ;)

And for a start, you can go with a Bronco/Picnic Tap to begin with until you work out what Taps you want to get, they pour great and are portable to take to partys/bbqs etc and great for running Sanitiser through your keg before kegging a brew....

:icon_cheers: CB

What diameter should the paper circles be and what height should I assume for a 19l keg?

I can measure for you tonight if you like.. if someone hasnt during the day today.

Cheers Vice

Hey Kuzzy,

I recently got a rig together & had all the same questions & concerns. Like some of the other guys have said, the guys at craftbrewer were fantastic & patient with my newbness & gave me honest & useful advice.

I ended up with 2 kegs, 2 celli taps, reg the no return valve (saved me already) & am stoked with it all.

Good luck with it all, it's hoot

One thing that is a must is a non-return/check valve on your gas line to stop overcarbonated beer travelling up your gas line and stuffing your regulator. It's cheap insurance.

Had a squiz at the usual HBS suppliers for a gas line non return valve and can't turn anything up. Any pointers where I might get one. I have had a few near misses. :huh:

:icon_cheers:

I find Pirtek or even BOC are good for fittings, probably not the cheapest option though

Back