Wakkatoo's Brew Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going off the computer cabling topic monster :)

Back to the basics, if I had my dithers I'd follow my mushroom industry book designs. Central draining, tiles floor and wall for those bleach bomb sanitization sessions and those thick rubber mats with holes in them to stand on so you don't slip on wet tiles. They are also used in food industry. So then you need a tap inside to hook up a hose to hose everything down the drain after clean ups and bleach bombs. If it's going to get wet keep electronics to a minimum. Or have a small room dedicated to electrics, table, computer, data connection.

I'm staying away from computer recommendations even though it's my field; no need considering the responses so far. I'd rather keep that for inside the house if the sheds not far away and the house is far less of a hostile environment for computers but it's your dream shed so build what you think is best and enjoy.a

Going off the computer cabling topic monster :)

Back to the basics, if I had my dithers I'd follow my mushroom industry book designs. Central draining, tiles floor and wall for those bleach bomb sanitization sessions and those thick rubber mats with holes in them to stand on so you don't slip on wet tiles. They are also used in food industry. So then you need a tap inside to hook up a hose to hose everything down the drain after clean ups and bleach bombs. If it's going to get wet keep electronics to a minimum. Or have a small room dedicated to electrics, table, computer, data connection.

I'm staying away from computer recommendations even though it's my field; no need considering the responses so far. I'd rather keep that for inside the house if the sheds not far away and the house is far less of a hostile environment for computers but it's your dream shed so build what you think is best and enjoy.a

Thankyou.

I can categorically state here and now that there will be no need to connect to the internet inside the shed. I simply do not want to as I am building my own office inside the house, and I spend far too much time on computers as it is. If I want to play music or podcasts, I'll hook up my ipod to a sound system I already have and then I'll turn it up really loud :super:
I have a spare laptop which will be loaded with beersmith and won't need to be connected. As for what goes in what trench, well, I leave that to those who know more about it than me. A extra trench doesn't worry me, only costs a few beers as I'm mates with the bloke who owns the earthwork company.

So to get this thread away from the pros and cons of what cat to bury in the trench (someone can start another thread on this I think), can we look at more 'general' shed suggestions.

Cheers

Getting back on track..

You want the basics in the shed

Power...a 35Amp sub-mains with dist board in shed with ELCB's with lots of lights and power points
Phone /Data... 2 cat 5 cables
Water...yes, you need water for brewing
Sewer...If you are going to have a sink, where is the wast water going to go..
Windows, Doors & Wirly birds on the roof. Brewing gets warm and airflow is good

TRY to do the slab with a drain point...concrete guys may whinge, but it will be worth it..

Actually you may be better to put a water tank next to the shed with a pump for the brewery, then plumb everything in poly. Lots cheaper than getting a plumber to extend your mains water in copper

These are the sort of things I would do at construction stage. Things like linings, tiles etc can be done latter...

tiles floor and wall

Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't be going with tiles given the range of modern floor coatings designed specifically for the food industry.

Tiles = grouted joins and cracks; Havens for bacteria.

On that note, some good research into the best type of drain to install to be able to control hygeine and also heat loss, dust etc etc

Mmm....I had a sneaking suspicion that you where some sort of fresh uni grad type with clean hands..

You wouldnt be old enough to remeber cat 5.. <_<

Actually I work in the IT industry and deal with jaded old farts that don't keep up to date all the time. But that's okay because it keeps me in work and makes me look good.

That fact you're saying I'm not old enough to remember cat 5 really does prove how obsolete it is. You can't have it both ways.

wakkatoo, just make sure your second conduit (not the power one) has enough spare space so later on you can pull through whatever cables you want without having to dig the trench up again. Sounds like you don't want any data / speaker cables etc but now's the time to plan for the future anyway. Even for resale value of your house etc. Chuck a bit of water proof rope in the conduit so you can use it to pull through any future cables.

Chuck a bit of water proof rope in the conduit so you can use it to pull through any future cables.

That along with a conduit with extra space is about the best idea you IT/PABX/Networking geeks have come up with so far.... :p

Actually I work in the IT industry and deal with jaded old farts that don't keep up to date all the time. But that's okay because it keeps me in work and makes me look good.

That fact you're saying I'm not old enough to remember cat 5 really does prove how obsolete it is. You can't have it both ways.

Those jaded old farts are the ones who will sack you for being a smart ass... :icon_cheers:

That along with a conduit with extra space is about the best idea you IT/PABX/Networking geeks have come up with so far.... :p

Us cabling guys ALLWAYS install draw wires in conduit/walls.... :icon_cheers:

Please have a little bit of decorum for the original poster and take the discussions to PM that are OT to his original question.

It's a pretty relaxed forum here, dude, most peeps will wander back to topic sooner or later, not that it has digressed too much anyway.... But hey, maybe you been lurking here longer than your 63 posts suggest you have ;)

Please have a little bit of decorum for the original poster and take the discussions to PM that are OT to his original question.

Cheers. Happy to hear all the techo side of running these cables but I think its run its course here. As said before, won't be hooking up the 'net to the shed but will certainly make the conduit larger and invest in a length of rope.

There will be a tank off the brewery end of the shed, dunno what size yet. Can't remember if mains water is to be connected, will have to confirm when we are having tea with the builders on the weekend.

I'm all for saving water so any waste water from the brewery will end up in the garden, not the sewer. For the same reason there won't be a toilet - that's what lemon trees are for ;)

If you have a tank, then you shouldnt need mains water, but it will depend how much rainfall you get,

10,000ltrs should be plenty.You will get away with that for brewing easly

I rely on rain water, so at least I have a good idea about things like that. You will pay a few thou for a tank and about $500 for a decent pump

We have a 30,000ltr tank for the house, + 2x 20,00ltr tanks, and I rarely have to transfer water to the big tank

There will be a tank off the brewery end of the shed, dunno what size yet. Can't remember if mains water is to be connected, will have to confirm when we are having tea with the builders on the weekend.

I'm all for saving water so any waste water from the brewery will end up in the garden, not the sewer. For the same reason there won't be a toilet - that's what lemon trees are for ;)

I brew using tank water. I have 5000l and that does nicely for watering the garden and brewing (in Sydney so we have fair rainfall). Best thing you can do is hook up a return pipe to the top of the tank so output water from the chiller goes back into the tank. The tank is big enough that the water stays cold and you use no water at all for chilling.

Cheers
Dave

Get the correct fall put in the slab to a drain. Steel float finish to the concrete (32mpa) extra layer of mesh and then an epoxy coating. Beautiful

Cant live without my tank, brewing water and garden water

The runoff is great for the garden just dont let any harsh chemicals go on the garden, (PBW and bleach=no garden :( )

Didn't realize lemon trees liked a good crap :lol:

On a serious note if you need a hand or just want me to come over to drink your beer, have a brew day IM IN

Every time ive been to Creswick its been raining, so your tank should be full all time Wakka

Kleiny

Didn't realize lemon trees liked a good crap :lol:

On a serious note if you need a hand or just want me to come over to drink your beer, have a brew day IM IN

Every time ive been to Creswick its been raining, so your tank should be full all time Wakka

Kleiny

Thanks for the offer. A hand on the shed, nah should be good. Some company at a brew day or just to have a few beers - absolutely! B)

As for the lemon tree, well, was planning on 'watering' it only. Tend to get funny looks when I 'mulch' the plants so I now keep that in-house :blink:

As for the lemon tree, well, was planning on 'watering' it only. Tend to get funny looks when I 'mulch' the plants so I now keep that in-house :blink:

Went for a tour at a citrus farm to please my daughter whilst in Mildura, they stressed the Three P's, Pee, Poop, Peels....so feel free! LOL....I am pretty sure they were referring to chicken, cow, sheep composted manure, but they did not make it real clear!

Just a little update - work begins on the house next week :beerbang: with the shed being ordered at the end of this one (fingers crossed). Hopefully the shed will go up shortly after as it's initial use will be to store all the stuff for the house.
Had a little play around with brewery layout and have come up with this:
Shed_design.jpg

The top design is what I'm aiming for and will be stoked when its set up like that, however, I'm always one for trying to improve so I put my future design which incorporates a neat little dual-coolroom setup B)

I've tried to keep three distinct areas, thanks to a suggestion on here and I've been a little generous in bench sizings on some things (grain mill as an eg) but it gives a good idea of what I'm shooting for.

Gotta have a think about power point locations as well as talk to the electrician about number / size of fuses for the shed as well as how and where it will be plumbed (will only be tank water).

One question I do have for you all is what thoughts on the ceiling? I was originally just going to line and insulate the shed roof but then I thought maybe putting in a 'false ceiling' at gutter level. Advantages I see are - better insulation, easier to run power / water to where I want it, will finish off better and allow better usage of the vertical space as it would become a bit of a mezzanine storage area for my workshop area. Disadvantages are - possible condensation from boil, possibly more expensive to do?

Thoughts?

edit- apologies for the quality of the image. Didn't expect it to do that <_<

Latest posts

Back