Wakkatoo's Brew Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes..also run Phone and Data cable to your shed..put in a 10pr phone cable, that way you will heave enough for speaker etc..

With power run 1 sub-mains to the shed ( from your main house switchboard )using cable big enough to handle 32Amp, that way you can hook up whatever you like, ie air-con, welders, power , light etc. Dont bother running a 10 & 15Amp circuit. Much better, easier and cheaper the 2 smaller circuits...

I wouldn't run a 10 pair phone cable though, just run 4 CAT6 cables IMHO. Can be used in the same way if desired (speakers etc) and even things like HDMI over Cat6 etc down the track. I'd probably run at least one coax cable too come to think of it.

The more power the better, I did a 60 m run of 3 phase cable, big stuff ! I can run what ever I want.I have two separate circuits of single phase (15 A) one runs the cool room and fridges the other runs brewery.I had it all on one circuit but kept tripping the breaker.The first sparky didn't quite get the idea of a home brewery.You got to explain really well just how much power you need.Anti con the roof and don't have full length clear sheet , they get f...ing hot, I would rather turn on the fluros than bake like a dog in the shed.
GB

Very hard to get 3 phase in a domestic situation...actually impossible

The reason I suggested a 32A sub mains is that it will keep you within the legal guidelines..

Most houses are restriced to a 64Amp TOTAL load, this helps the suppliers know how much electricity to supply

32A sub mains is acceptable and basically a standard.

It allows you to run " whatever" in your shed without overloading your total house rating

Basically, from a sparky point of view, if you dont run a big circuit, YOU WILL PAY IN THE FUTURE

and as for the CAT 5 ...yes , thinking on it, run a few CAT 5 cables, ..... in a seperate conduit ( same trench ) to keep it legal...

Damn I hate being in the whole sparky/comms/IT game sometimes... :unsure:

I'm taking all this on board fellas :beerbang:

I'm about to build one of these, http://www.allgal.com.au/Curved-Roof-Garages.html

I was going to insulate and run power but water will have to wait till we build a new house. So it looks like my 60 litre water drum and trolley will get a work out every time I do a brew.

Probably will be 4.8m wide x 6m long with an awning off the side. I like to call it 'Mans land'.

Cheers.

.I had it all on one circuit but kept tripping the breaker.The first sparky didn't quite get the idea of a home brewery.You got to explain really well just how much power you need.Anti con the roof and don't have full length clear sheet , they get f...ing hot, I would rather turn on the fluros than bake like a dog in the shed.
GB

The reason for running sub-mains is that you have a separata distribution board in the shed that has individual breakers for light, power, air-con etc. That way if you are welding, you wont trip the light circuit, just the welding circuit.

My shed has 5 circuits. 2 light, 2 x 10amp and 1x15amp all with Earth-leakage breakers (ELCB's)

And you can never have to many lights or power points, fluro lights are cheap as and so are double power point. Put them every where as you wont believe how handy they are. Same goes for your house, put power points everywhere, especially lounge rooms, cause SWMBO will always want silly things light table lamps and so on and your entertainment setup will probable need at least six outlets alone ( TV, DVD, Stereo, Set-top-box,am, VCR etc )

The reason for running sub-mains is that you have a separata distribution board in the shed that has individual breakers for light, power, air-con etc. That way if you are welding, you wont trip the light circuit, just the welding circuit.

My shed has 5 circuits. 2 light, 2 x 10amp and 1x15amp all with Earth-leakage breakers (ELCB's)

My shed has a sub-mains but only 3 circuits. 1 x 10amp, 1 light and 1x15amp. The 15a is very handy and will be moreso when I get my electric HLT going.

cheers

grant

Watching this thread with interest, as I'll be building a brewery in the basement of my new place (sometime). Main things I thought of were power, gas, exhaust fans, large opening (double doors rather than a rollerdoor feels right to me) and floor cleanliness and run-off/drainage. Also, a large sink would have to be a must. I think I'll be recycling my current ceramic laundry tub. The other thing I thought of (and will be in the architect's brief) is to put the room directly under the bar in the living area, so I can plumb my font straight to the keg fridge thru the floor.

Watching this thread with interest, as I'll be building a brewery in the basement of my new place (sometime). Main things I thought of were power, gas, exhaust fans, large opening (double doors rather than a rollerdoor feels right to me) and floor cleanliness and run-off/drainage. Also, a large sink would have to be a must. I think I'll be recycling my current ceramic laundry tub. The other thing I thought of (and will be in the architect's brief) is to put the room directly under the bar in the living area, so I can plumb my font straight to the keg fridge thru the floor.
I'm sure the IBU's will be expecting a brewhouse warming when this is all finished :D

Had to submit final draft on actual floorplan today. Thanks to some feedback from here I've ditched the R-A-D in the brewery end, added a window and a double sliding glass door and requested that skylight sheets are not used at the brewery end.

As such, the mud map looks like this:

Shed_Design.jpg

Next step is to think about electrics and plumbing. The cheapest option is to run everything to the bottom left corner (as you look at it), then run along the wall / roof to wherever I need it. Apart from it being cheaper, I like this idea as it allows for change further down the track.

I really liked sully's idea of 3 different areas, so I need to factor that in as well with plumbing.

To be continued...

You can put plumping. power, phone/comms/data, plumbing in the same trench.

I PERSONALLY would spend a bit extra in the construction stage with the above than wishing you didnt ...

It is a LOT CHEAPER and EASIER to go overboard when building than it is when the building is finished and you have to install latter

Being in the industry I would have no idea what I am talking about :ph34r:

Running everything from bottom left is a smart option, well it is your only option

I PERSONALLY would spend a bit extra in the construction stage with the above than wishing you didnt ...

It is a LOT CHEAPER and EASIER to go overboard when building than it is when the building is finished and you have to install latter

Agree

Cheers

Sully

put the room directly under the bar in the living area, so I can plumb my font straight to the keg fridge thru the floor.

Damn that is a good idea. I love it.

This thread is really interesting, not that I have a shed to turn to a brewery but hopefully one day in the future I will....O the dreams.

You can put plumping. power, phone/comms/data, plumbing in the same trench.

You know, I don't think you can. If there's a problem with the plumbing, such as a leak, you don't want your electrics going bang. Not certain, but pretty sure your services need to be separated. And you definitely don't want to mix plumping with plumbing!!!! My neighbour pointed out his separate water and elec trenches.

So if a leaky pipe sitting next to an electrical cable in water-tight conduit is a problem, why isn't rain water a problem to the same electrical cable?

So if a leaky pipe sitting next to an electrical cable in water-tight conduit is a problem, why isn't rain water a problem to the same electrical cable?

I really don't know. I guess because a leak could go for more than 40 days and 40 nights. Haven't gone too far with the specifics of my own plans to this detail yet. What I said was from the complaints of my neighbour as he dug his multiple trenches. For all I know, different conditions might apply in other states, or even other council areas.

When we built, we had 5 different trenches due to the services coming from different points on the nature strip and going to different points in the house...

Telstras website suggests you can run all in one pit, but I suppose it depends on where the services have already been laid.

I don't know the answer, just testing the water.

Speaking of which, we had a water leak under the front porch that must have been going for close to 40 days and 40 nights because we had water seeping out beneath the slab on all four sides (took a while to figure out where it was coming from)...required a 6th trench to replace the water pipe and a 7th to drain the water away (which took 2 weeks!) The ground was a quigmire for weeks after...no issue at that time with electricity or phone lines.

Yep I'd run the electrical and data in the same trench but different conduits. Run Cat6 (not 5 or 5e) for the data. Make sure the Cat6 runs are no longer than 100m. I'd try and make the data conduit bigger than you need, maybe even use PVC pipe, so that you can later pull more cables through if you want to. Maybe even when you lay it put some nylon rope in there too to help you pull through any future cables.

I'd personally run 4 CAT6 cables and 2 COAX cables in the data conduit. Assuming you may want TV in there one day.

Each CAT6 cable has 4 pairs of wires (8 wires in total). Each pair can for example be rigged up as speaker wire, phone cable, etc. Very flexible way of doing it. People are running all sorts of crazy stuff over cat6 these days. And of course they're good for the computer. I wouldn't rely on wireless unless you want to set up a bridge using pringles cans as directional antennas!

Very hard to get 3 phase in a domestic situation...actually impossible

The reason I suggested a 32A sub mains is that it will keep you within the legal guidelines..

Most houses are restriced to a 64Amp TOTAL load, this helps the suppliers know how much electricity to supply

32A sub mains is acceptable and basically a standard.

It allows you to run " whatever" in your shed without overloading your total house rating

Basically, from a sparky point of view, if you dont run a big circuit, YOU WILL PAY IN THE FUTURE

and as for the CAT 5 ...yes , thinking on it, run a few CAT 5 cables, ..... in a seperate conduit ( same trench ) to keep it legal...

Damn I hate being in the whole sparky/comms/IT game sometimes... :unsure:
This house is a WA 100 years old, 3 phase has been here years.The 3 phase is a complete separate circuit run straight off the meter.Very expensive to do if you dont have 3 phase to the meter.Dont follow that domestic 3 phase is impossible ?
GB

Surely those little pesky wires in a CAT cable wouldn't be any good for speakers? any decent speaker wires are big and fat, like 10awg or something... and why would you have speakers so far away from the main stereo? or am I missing something completely here? do mean like a little intercom or something? I guess that would be handy to talk to the house...

I wish I was buidling a house..or at least a shed.

Latest posts

Back