Wakkatoo's Brew Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This house is a WA 100 years old, 3 phase has been here years.The 3 phase is a complete separate circuit run straight off the meter.Very expensive to do if you dont have 3 phase to the meter.Dont follow that domestic 3 phase is impossible ?
GB

My Gran's house in Newcastle had an 3 phase instantaneous hot water system in the bathroom. The heater's long gone but the three phase remains. Integral in NSW say that you can have a maximum of 63amp per phase for 3 phase circuits before you need to make special applications. So if you want 3 phase and have deep enough pockets, you can have it.

cheers

grant

Yep I'd run the electrical and data in the same trench but different conduits. Run Cat6 (not 5 or 5e) for the data. Make sure the Cat6 runs are no longer than 100m. I'd try and make the data conduit bigger than you need, maybe even use PVC pipe, so that you can later pull more cables through if you want to. Maybe even when you lay it put some nylon rope in there too to help you pull through any future cables.

I'd personally run 4 CAT6 cables and 2 COAX cables in the data conduit. Assuming you may want TV in there one day.

Each CAT6 cable has 4 pairs of wires (8 wires in total). Each pair can for example be rigged up as speaker wire, phone cable, etc. Very flexible way of doing it. People are running all sorts of crazy stuff over cat6 these days. And of course they're good for the computer. I wouldn't rely on wireless unless you want to set up a bridge using pringles cans as directional antennas!

Cat 6 is a wank.... Just run Cat5,

Power will need to be in conduit and you can run them all in the same trench.

My Gran's house in Newcastle had an 3 phase instantaneous hot water system in the bathroom. The heater's long gone but the three phase remains. Integral in NSW say that you can have a maximum of 63amp per phase for 3 phase circuits before you need to make special applications. So if you want 3 phase and have deep enough pockets, you can have it.

cheers

grant
3 phase in domestic situations is becoming more common these days with houses being generally larger than normally built over the years.
The size of Airconditioning is actually pushing people towards 3 phase.
The problem comes trying to balance the loads over the phases as most domestic electricians dont factor that into the larger grid loading problems.

If I had 3 phase I would most definently have it out to the shed.

I ran a 6mm cable to the shed with its own switchboard, but I only ran a yellow phone line with 2 pair out there.
I am spewing now I didnt think to run three or four cat 5 cables,
Always run a couple of extras for networking etc.

I put three phase in my shed....cost $7,000 and had to be paid up front. Then waited nine months for it to be done.
But worth it to me.

Cheers,
Bud

We need to get a planning permit to get 3-phase in our shire, and essentially the council knocks back every application in residential areas as they consider 3-phase the first step towards running a business out of the shed, which while not illegal, is also frowned upon.

What are those single phase to three phase converters like? Any good?

Cat 6 is a wank.... Just run Cat5,

Power will need to be in conduit and you can run them all in the same trench.

Typical sparkie.

Cat5 is dead. The minimum is Cat5e. You can get 305m of Cat6 cable for $120 from 4cabling.com.au, there's no point running Cat5e.

Surely those little pesky wires in a CAT cable wouldn't be any good for speakers? any decent speaker wires are big and fat, like 10awg or something... and why would you have speakers so far away from the main stereo? or am I missing something completely here? do mean like a little intercom or something? I guess that would be handy to talk to the house...

I wish I was buidling a house..or at least a shed.

Nah it works pretty well. You've got 8 wires in there in total. If you want to be able to run high wattage speakers / amps you can use a whole cat5 cable for each speaker (ie 2 pairs for + 2 pairs for -). Or you can get away with using just part of the cable.

Yep you can use it for intercom too.

Phone, Intercom, security cameras, computer networking, video (HDMI, component, RGB, S-Video, Composite).

The list goes on, very flexible and cheap cable to run, and the twisted pairs work their magic and make it very resistant to interference etc.

That said you can run your own speaker wire too, no harm, it's just Cat6 is a great 'just in case' cable to run, as you can use it for things you didn't previously think you needed.

Typical sparkie.

Cat5 is dead. The minimum is Cat5e. You can get 305m of Cat6 cable for $120 from 4cabling.com.au, there's no point running Cat5e.

Ok...Cat5e

But I am not a sparkie. <_<

I am a Tele/communications tech and have 20yrs exp working with Data, Voice, Fibre,Radio, uWave, PABX's, Multiplexing equip, cabling ..etc...etc

Cat 6 is not much better than cat 5e and in general gives no real advantage...

Two phase is always an option. It sure was a godsend when I built two sheds a few years after the house was built.

:icon_offtopic: Sorry for the big OT, but what's the minimum cable needed for 10G? I don't think anyone would need 10Gb/s in their brew shed, but if one was wiring a whole house for future proofing...?

The cable itself is superior, and only costs slightly more. In a general home setting there's not much difference in what you can do at the moment, but it is certainly more future proof. Costs the same labour, slightly more in parts, i don't see the problem.

:icon_offtopic: Sorry for the big OT, but what's the minimum cable needed for 10G? I don't think anyone would need 10Gb/s in their brew shed, but if one was wiring a whole house for future proofing...?

It's expected that Cat6 will be able to run it. I believe only fibre does at the moment (at least officially). Cat5e will not support 10gb/s ethernet.

There's also cat6e and cat7 blah blah but the truth is cat6 is here now, doesnt cost much, and people are saying the same crap they did about cat5e "why would you need it", I guess no one likes planning ahead and there difference of 10c per meter of cable is just too much and will break the bank!

Ok...Cat5e

But I am not a sparkie. <_<

I am a Tele/communications tech and have 20yrs exp working with Data, Voice, Fibre,Radio, uWave, PABX's, Multiplexing equip, cabling ..etc...etc

I'm with you Stu, 30 years in the comms industry. Cat 5 would easily do the job in a domestic house.......Cat 5 is also still used.

Rook

Nah I reckon he should just install token ring over coax...I've been in the industry for 60 years btw

but 10c per meter to future proof?

10c per meter if you source the cable yourself.

Or probably $2 extra a meter if you listen to the advice of these experts and go with cat5 haha. Gotta love the ACMA protecting these dudes. Not allowed to do anything yourself in Australia.

Personally I'd suggest buying a roll of Cat6 and if you know anyone with ACMA license get them to sign off your work for a carton of home brew.

Back