WA Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRE

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a very amateur brewer and very keen drinker from South Africa and I am visiting Western Australia early next year.

Could anyone recommend some breweries to visit in the Perth/Fremantle region as well as in the Bunbury to Margaret river region.

I am primarily a fan of American and English style ales, IPA in particular.

Thank you for your help and hopefully this was the right forum for this.

Google all of these. I hope you have lots of time!

Little Creatures
Monk
Feral
Mash
Duckstein
Homestead Brewery
Eagle Bay Brewery
Bootleg Brewery
Cowaramup Brewery
Colonial
Cheeky Monkey

Just to name those I can think of off the top of my head at this minute.

Old coast rd brewery

Elmars

Occy's

And then there's plenty of pubs and restaurants with good beer lists and not to mention some cracking bottleshops!

Pirate bar, old faithful and bobs bar would be some of my favorite venues.

Mane liquor (rate beer #1 bottle shop in Australia), Cellarbrations Carlilse and Re Store in Leederville all have cracking craft beer selections.

If you are heading down to the Margaret River area, try the The Pour House. in Dunsborough.

They have a superb selection of beers, not only from the local area, but from around the world.

You can also arrange brewery tours, so that you don't need a designated driver. We did this last time down south and had a great time.

Make sure that the tour includes Colonial and Bootleg Breweries. In my opinion they were the pick of the bunch down there.

I'm sure that you'll have a great time.

seems to be most, there is the north bridge brewery who i haven't given a shit about going to, and a old fave ironbark..

Bootleg is one of the first, been around for years.

Cowaramup had a really nice Kolsch last time I went there - even bought a growler and took some home :)

+1 for the growler.if the brewery sells growlers they will fill em up regardless if it that brewerys growler.colonial do refills for $10 tuesdays from memory

Mmm, Bootleg breweries Wils Pils. Haven't had some for yonks.

Hi Gre,

It pays to check opening hours before you visit some out of the way places as they usually only open Thursday to Sunday, I'd also phone them to be sure if the web page details are up to date. You'll be okay around Perth and Fremantle but when you head south a lot of West Australians own businesses meant to cater for tourism, but then want to still live the Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm lifestyle themselves. I visited a little vineyard/brewery restaurant in Pemberton a couple of years ago, sampled all the beers while looking at the brewery through a glass partition only to find they weren't brewing what they were selling at the time, it happens but I was very disappointed not knowing up front.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Sounds like it is going to be a very festive time.

I visited W.A earlier in the year and a few things I picked up were.

Little Creatures in Fremantle gets thousands of visitors, so go early if you want to secure a table.
The Monk, also in Freo, has great beers, but even greater use of recycled railway sleepers.
Sail & Anchor, which is across the road, looks like it would go off at night. I think they brew there. Happy to be corrected.

Duckstein, Happy Monkey and Cowaramup, in the Margret River region, all excellent breweries and well worth more time than I had to spend there.

As mentioned above there are many others.

I'm so jealous that we don't have anything like them in Queensland.

Black Devil Dog said:
I'm so jealous that we don't have anything like them in Queensland.
Ahh but the price of a beer in Qld surely makes up for it!

I also heard about a brewery called the Last Drop. Not been there, but it's a Reinheitsgebot style brewery in Perth... anyone been there?

The Judge said:
Ahh but the price of a beer in Qld surely makes up for it!

I also heard about a brewery called the Last Drop. Not been there, but it's a Reinheitsgebot style brewery in Perth... anyone been there?
Yeah cheap XXXX gold beats the shit out of anything W.A has on offer. ;)

Back