Voyager brand 'craft' malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a porter I did recently, bloody fantastic!

Style: Brown Porter (12A)
Boil Size: 14.98 l Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 54.4 EBC Equipment: Pot 15l - BIAB to 10l
Bitterness: 30.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.055 (13.5° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.8° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 5.3%

Amount Name Type #
2.32 kg Voyager Pale Malt (4.5 EBC) Grain 1
278.5 g Voyager Brown Malt (180.0 EBC) Grain 2
183.8 g Voyager Chocolate Malt (900.0 EBC) Grain 3
29.3 g Fuggles [4.5%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
11.7 g Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 5
1 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 6

Thought I'd give the Voyager grain a go to support the concept. Very happy with the pale malt in both a Pilsner and a dark ale. Keen to try the Veloria in a smash beer next. Hope other Brewers get around voyager grain and support it.

As a point of reference, I got a sack from Nick of the Veloria about a year ago. I have a feeling (just confirmed) that my baltic porter/imperial dark lager from the 2015 Xmas in july swap was brewed with it.

As a confirmation - it was definitely.

73.5% veloria
10% vienna
3.8% melanoidin
5.3% dextrose
3.4% pale chocolate
3.4% carafa 3
Magnum bittering
Magnum @ 30
TYB Franconian Dark Lager - massive starter, pitched at 8 deg and ramped to 12 over the 2 week ferment. D-rested at 18 for a week, then lagered for 4 weeks and bottle conditioned.

I absolutely loved the veloria, and Nick was gracious enough to send me some samples of their specialty malts. All were bloody great.

I really liked it too, I'm eagerly waiting for the next batch to be released. Seems like I've been waiting forever ;(

I have had to hold back from dropping Voyager Special Roast into everything I brew - it is the tastiest grain to eat!

Goes very well in an ESB, or anything dark.

Did anyone catch voyager on River Cottage Australia the other night?

Good segment, showed the voyager farm, harvest, a little tiny bit of the malting process (just an explanation of it really) and some of the community stuff they do. Good stuff

Fents said:
Did anyone catch voyager on River Cottage Australia the other night?

Good segment, showed the voyager farm, harvest, a little tiny bit of the malting process (just an explanation of it really) and some of the community stuff they do. Good stuff
wtf is River Cottage Australia, old man Fents?

TV show mate. What im not allowed to watch TV? hahahaha

Im not one to judge peoples viewing preferences :ph34r:

Just watched that River Cottage Australia segment on fox (must have had a re-run), good viewing... think I'll give Voyager a go once I get through my current grain stock, all for supporting the local cause.

Interesting to see how their harvester can detect moisture levels etc of the barley as it harvests it, pretty cool (not sure if that's a standard thing).

Went to KK today, and they bags and bags of Voyager malt.
Looks like they have been appointed the distributor.

I tasted a few of the grain, the schooner was lovely.
I didn't buy any, as I still have some malt to use, but investigating their website, they have quite a few recipes and its a download compatible with beersmith. I'm 2 brews away from using all my existing malt, but I will try it after that. I reckon, it might be possible to get a unique/niche Aussie beer (apart from Coopers). For example, smoked malt using almonds!!!!

I have got my name on a bag of Schooner Veloria as soon as my current bag of Viking is finished.
https://www.graincentral.com/news/s...ey-with-ability-to-be-australias-maris-otter/
I've been using Veloria for a little while now and can confirm it's absolutely delicious
A mate and I just did a 46L XPA with 4kg Veloria, 4kg Coopers Pale Malt, 1.5kg Munich & 300g (I think) medium crystal
Cascade & Galaxy to 30IBU, all after 30mins and a bunch of that in the cube, then 30g each dry hopped
It's a darker beer for an XPA, the malt shines right through and I think I'd drop the crystal next time
I think I'll be keeping Veloria on hand from now on as a replacement/alternative for MO, as long as my LHBS keeps supplying it

I am leaning towards it as I really prefer the English style beers now, I enjoy a good balance of the malt with the English hops. I was a bit dissapointed with the price though I have been spoilt with the $49.50 for the bags of Viking malt.

Back