Volume Of Slurry For Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've done some basic harvesting from my own yeast cake for the next brew in the past but for my next batch I'm looking at harvesting some Coopers yeast to make a starter.

I have two questions for stepping up the volume:

1.When people talk about amount or volume of slurry, are they talking about the total volume of water/wort with yeast gently shaken back into suspension or are they talking about just the creamy yeast deposit settled at the bottom?

2.Depending on the answer to question one, what is a good volume of slurry for a 23L batch?

Cheers!
Jono.

look a the pitching rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com

as case suggested mr malty is a great start, if u can't be bothered looking i usually find about 1/2 cup of slurry from my previous brew works a treat!

My understanding is that you can pitch the whole thing, but if you don't want your "real wort" to be messed up by 1.5l of simple DME starter you can carefully drain off most of the starter wort leaving the slurry for pitching.

My last Coopers yeast farm starter grew to about 1.5l, I drained off about 2 thirds of the liquid before I pitched it. (I let it settle before I drained).

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back