Viking Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. Yeah, HIV really takes the shine off Sheen.
Not sure what other name to use. Brad Pitt time ... Jolly!
(um, you know ... Jolie... nah don't worry :ph34r: :unsure: )

technobabble66 said:
I'm starting to run low on TFFMMO & Wey Munich 2 (& Yob is too lazy to organize a BB at the mo') so I was eyeing off the Viking Pale Ale as an option (... & their Munich) (... & their Red Ale) [emoji57].
FP still selling discounted sacks on the regular?

Spiesy said:
FP still selling discounted sacks on the regular?
Certainly are, and i'd be very happy to grab another TFFMMO off FullPint in the (near) future.
There's a pretty big price difference though (which i'm generally happy to pay for given the TF quality).
So if Viking is like a Finnish JW they can go stick it, but if it's more in the league of Simpsons/Wey/TF then i'd be tempted to at least try 1 sack.

TBH, as much as anything, i just find it really bizarre there are virtually no reviews of Viking malts anywhere on the English Internets thingy. So this is partly out of intrigued curiosity as well.

PS: cheers, dicko

Viking Malt is a Swedish-Finnish mälteriföretag that delivers malt and service to the brewery - and distillery industry.
Viking Malt was formed in 2002 through the merger of Finnish Lahti Polttimo, Swedish Swedish Malt and Lithuanian Litmalt. The company has production facilities in Lahti and Raisio in Finland, Panevezys in Lithuania and Halmstad in Sweden. The owners are Finnish Polttimo and Swedish Lantmännen.
Annual production is 340 000 tonnes of malt, of which 48% are sold in the Nordic countries and the remainder in the rest of the world.

Sounds like they could be the Barrett Burston of Finland

technobabble66 said:
i just find it really bizarre there are virtually no reviews of Viking malts anywhere on the English Internets thingy.
For sure.

DU99 said:
Sounds like they could be the Barrett Burston of Finland
How so?

I find it no surprise there are no reviews. They may have just started supplying the home brew market, opening it as another potential revenue stream, if this is the case, of course there will be no reviews.

As for pricing, the importers/distributors/wholesalers all take their slice, current importers/wholesalers have been applying the Australia Tax for years, no reason to stop. A new grey importers knows the stack them high sell them low principle.

fraser_john said:
I find it no surprise there are no reviews. They may have just started supplying the home brew market, opening it as another potential revenue stream, if this is the case, of course there will be no reviews...
True
Except they've been supplying the HB scene (by the sound of it) in Finland and Sweden since 2009 at least.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=72841&start=15

technobabble66 said:
I'm not too stressed about it, but I'd certainly note it as a *possible* issue. I use a lot of Weyermann and have been v happy with it, hence I'm not really bothered by the distance at this point.
I'm more concerned with the basic quality of the grain.
I guess given the price I'd wonder if they're cutting quality somewhere compared to, say Weyermann - eg: maybe Wey pay more for better transport or better grain, etc?
Conversely, just because something is more or less expensive doesn't always translate into better or poorer quality. They might just be more competitive.
Hence this thread and the questions really. Theories aside, I was hoping to hear of someone/anyone in the English speaking world who has tried Viking at a homebrew level and what their results are. Hear of some Empirical evidence, n' shit... [emoji5]️
Just ordered some sacks.... Keep you posted

technobabble66 said:
It's all a bit of a distant haze ... The president's booming laugh ringing in my ears and some dreadlocked guy thrusting glasses of draught beer at me... Like some scene out of a David Lynch film.
Good times.

Tbh, I just keep missing the Tuesday meetings due to work and stupidity. But I need to contact the treasurer ASAP and sign back on board with my hard earned. Then go hunting the Viking malt. [emoji41]

I'm starting to run low on TFFMMO & Wey Munich 2 (& Yob is too lazy to organize a BB at the mo') so I was eyeing off the Viking Pale Ale as an option (... & their Munich) (... & their Red Ale) [emoji57].
The price is certainly appealing, but I'd rather spend extra to get good quality if needed. However, if Viking is both good and cheap then it's Charlie Sheen time ... WINNING!
I have a Viking red IPA a yankie Pale in bottle & both hit the og's with good colour. As for freshness, these were all malted mid to late August . I have given a couple of sample recipes to some mashers boys & I have yet to hear back on them .

The grain quality always seems consistent and good, color and efficiency always seems to be spot on for me, it's widely used in sweden among homebrewers and i would guess that they are the most used among with weyermann (in sweden that is). The price is quite a bit lower than weyermann and thats the reason why i use it alot. however i do tend to buy weyermann when i feel i can afford it, not because viking malt is of poor quality but mainly because i always liked weyermann. All about preferences i suppose.

I usually stock up on their pils-malt.

Cheers

Ive only tried their Crystal 50 and Caramel Pilsner (Carapills) and found nothing wrong with them. But then Im also far from an expert...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448394616.424499.jpg

I've been looking at this in a book since I started brewing. I always thought they died off.

The book is Aussie, published in 1976 by Viking ales.

Anyone know who the distributor is for Viking? Just in case a bulk buy could be organised...... :ph34r:

Back