Viewing Photos In Windows Xp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
More inconsistencies in the Microsoft O/S - hope someone can help.

When viewing a file of photos (in .jpg mostly), sometimes they can be viewed with what's called 'filmstrip' and allows the user to left/right arrow through each pic and be presented with a decent-sized preview of the image, which is about 400x400. This is quite handy when reviewing 1000+ images at a time, and determining which ones to work on in photoshop. Much better than trying to determine a 'good shot' simply from thumbnail images.

What I do find, is that sometimes the filmstrip option is simply not there in the 'Views' icon.

Any idea how I activate this ? Right now I can go to one folder on my hard drive and it's an option, but then I go to a DVD of images (777 of them!) and the 'filmstrip' is not an option.

Thanks,

Jase

My folder is all .jpg. I did a 'list' view, then sorted by 'type' and .jpg appears at the top and the bottom of the list.

For this instance, Im going to drop them off the disc and onto the hard drive, see what happens.

OK, so this folder has been transferred to my hard drive, and it still doesnt have the filmstrip option, yet I can open up another folder of photos and it appears !

These little inconsistencies in MS OS shit me, there a HEAP of them that Ive uncovered over the years. I have no doubt that there's a solution, but it makes no sense that Ive never specifically set this function up with the earlier folder, but it determines that I can use this view, but elsewhere I cant !

To resolve this issue, select Show common tasks in folder:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the General tab, click Show common tasks in folder under Tasks.
4. Click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;299542

try that, see if it works

Quantocks, I found that exact same instruction before I posted. Didn't want to complicate this thread by referring to it, but since you posted it.......

In the folder, there isnt a "My Computer" icon - not even in the fields that have the filmstrip view. However, I see that there is the Tool>Folder Options as you say. The radio button is already selected as "Show Common Tasks". Still nothing.

But alas, praise be to Allah, and answer has just emerged. If you guys are interested, it goes like this.

Folder of images is on the desktop.
Right Click, select "Properties"
Select "Customise" Tab

• Drop down menu of "What kind of Folder do you want?" (mines defaulted to music files, probably AI on the OS's part, most of what gets processed here is music files of many different formats)
  • Select "Pictires (best for many files).
  • Hit "OK". I now have the filmstrip option, because Ive told the PC that this folder should be considered a photo folder.
Phew. Shame Ive lost interest in spending tonight editing holiday snaps :)

Latest posts

Back